New pool build in Spring, TX - Done...sort of

SWEET!!! That looks great! Glad you have started bonding with it!!!

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Wildkarrde21
I guess I was just curious if this was a typical way to connect the autofill line. It just looks kind of janky and I’m concerned about it freezing (vs connecting to the main water line coming from the street which I guess would cost more).

Not sure about the backflow valve requirement. I’ll ask about that.

I guess I was just curious if this was a typical way to connect the autofill line. It just looks kind of janky and I’m concerned about it freezing (vs connecting to the main water line coming from the street which I guess would cost more).

Do you have an inside water shutoff valve to that hose bib?

Draining that like before freezing conditions probably was not considered by the plumber doing the line. If ice cracks the PVC pipe it is not that difficult to repair.

I don't think folks in your area have given much thought to how pools are winterized in freezing conditions.

Last edited:

Not sure about the backflow valve requirement. I’ll ask about that.
Mine is set up just like yours. Although I do have a backflow valve.
I wrapped foam pipe insulation (all hardware stores carry them) around the pipe & backflow valve, then wrapped it all in Christy's 10mil tape (Home Depot) to make it nice and tight around the whole pipe and that Tee connection (they now sell dedicated foam wraps for Tees).
This past Feb. for the big freeze, I took some more foam and wrapped on top where the bib is because you cannot put one of those insulation covers on it because of how it is configured and then wrapped a big towel around the top as well. I had no issues due to freezing.

Also, that blue handle valve is non-repairable if it ever leaks. You would have to cut it out. Obviously, most of the time it will be open but I would put a note to turn it close and back open again every so often so it does not get stuck in the open position.

Had a long pause while we put in change orders (didn't like the look of stamped concrete so we changed it to travertine instead, expanded the decking area and removed the step pads = $$$), the holidays, etc. This also resulted in a delay on the decking since the travertine we want needed to be ordered and wasn't coming for a few weeks. We've also had rain and other weather issues, so they haven't been able to come out and at least pour the concrete base for the decking.

They did come out to put in most(?) of the equipment on the pad and it looks pretty accessible. The missing back flow valve is also there (inside the fence line).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry it's been a while! I've commented this on other threads, but January and a lot of February was a wet muddy mess for our yard, so the decking contractors weren't able to have consistent weather to pour concrete. They finally poured near the end of February and the masonry crew has been out for the last week putting down travertine (QDI - Philadelphia). It looks gorgeous and we're hoping they will be complete by next week at the latest (still need to put the retaining wall on the back part of the decking). After that it's clean up and pebbletec and hopefully equipment turn on time!

Sorry it's been a while! I've commented this on other threads, but January and a lot of February was a wet muddy mess for our yard, so the decking contractors weren't able to have consistent weather to pour concrete. They finally poured near the end of February and the masonry crew has been out for the last week putting down travertine (QDI - Philadelphia). It looks gorgeous and we're hoping they will be complete by next week at the latest (still need to put the retaining wall on the back part of the decking). After that it's clean up and pebbletec and hopefully equipment turn on time!

Wow travertine over concrete... almost no one does that around here. Did you spec that in your build or is this just how your builder does it? I would have leaned further towards travertine if it wasn't over a sand base like all the builders do it in DFW (well seems like all the ones I talked to anyway).

Wow travertine over concrete... almost no one does that around here. Did you spec that in your build or is this just how your builder does it? I would have leaned further towards travertine if it wasn't over a sand base like all the builders do it in DFW (well seems like all the ones I talked to anyway).
My builder, from Tomball TX, also installed my travertine over a concrete base, but they also install a base of polymorphic sand, on top of the concrete base, for the travertine to sit on.

Reactions: HermanTX

My builder, from Tomball TX, also installed my travertine over a concrete base, but they also install a base of polymorphic sand, on top of the concrete base, for the travertine to sit on.

It's just the way our builder did it. In our case they are also mixing a concrete mixture on top of the concrete for the travertine to sit on, but the builder for my neighbor who is putting in a pool right now as well is doing what BigPapaSmurf's builder did: Concrete base > polymorphic sand > travertine.

Reactions: joepaiii
Spoke with our construction manager today - while most of the decking around our pool has been "travertined" (is that a word?), they ran out when they got to the big firepit/seating area. Turns out the rest of our travertine shipment is on a ship in the ocean somewhere and won't be here until end of March. His suggestion is for them to do the clean up/rough grade and get the plaster/pebblesheen guys in next so that it can cure and then when the rest of the travertine comes in they will have the masonry contractors finish it up. Fortunately I haven't paid for the travertine yet (it was a separate change order), so I can still hold that part back until they finish it, which they seem to be fine with.

The other major thing is that it seems like the drains on the pool decking don't seem to go anywhere... this is after me repeatedly asking the builder and the decking contractors to make sure it was in and has a separate line to a pop up at the front. As far as I can tell, the pipes don't seem to lead out of the decking anywhere (or at least it wasn't obvious to the construction manager or myself). He's got it on his priority list to make sure it gets done/verified, but I have no idea how that would be missed.

Did not think we'd be in month 6 of the pool building process, but here we are...

The other major thing is that it seems like the drains on the pool decking don't seem to go anywhere... this is after me repeatedly asking the builder and the decking contractors to make sure it was in and has a separate line to a pop up at the front. As far as I can tell, the pipes don't seem to lead out of the decking anywhere (or at least it wasn't obvious to the construction manager or myself). He's got it on his priority list to make sure it gets done/verified, but I have no idea how that would be missed.
Man! Does that sound familiar!! Just had pool and decking finished in Jan. Throughout, every contractor wanted to dig and run the line 100' to back of property to the lake, which is on incline, so ditch would be very deep at end and have to come out the bank side. Every time, I showed them the plans that it simply needed to go 20' to the side of property and to the ditch that drains the property line out the the front drainage ditch. Put the pop up there, I kept saying. If hadn't been there 2 or 3 times by luck, that long ditch would have been dug.

I had 2,400 sf of travertine laid, some on pre-existing slab from under porch that flowed out to a packed base that was not poured concrete around pool. My understanding is that the benefit of travertine is its ability to transfer surface heat to the cooler earth below. I wonder if that heat transfer is blocked by a poured concrete base.

PebbleSheen going in right now! Will post more pics later.

Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster There are proper steps to follow for the making of durable pool plaster. There are also improper practices that can lead to early deterioration, discoloration or other failures. Above is a ten-point checklist that will help achieve a lasting and discoloration-free plaster.

A Plastering 'Watch List' Taking control of the plastering process is within reach of any quality-oriented designer or builder, declares Kim Skinner. To help you on your way, he offers this step-by-step guide to managing what should happen on site before, during and after plaster application takes place.

Fill day! Rest of the travertine came in early and the masonry guys finished it today while the plaster crew acid washed(?) the pebblesheen. Just waiting for the pool to fill up so they can clean up/final touches and tell me where the drains on the decking lead to…

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.