Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We are planning on getting an inground 14' x 28' vinyl liner pool. I've laid out where we want our pool and equipment pad along with extra concrete and new sidewalks. We've had 3 different PB's come and look at our site, 2 gave us quotes the 3rd (who is a friend that owns a pool company) said he's tired of doing pools and it might be 3 years before he get's to it or less, he never even got back to me with a quote. So needless to say he's off my list.

PB's in my area are few and far in between. Out of the 2 that gave us quotes, one is local and the other is 1.5 hours away and has been in business doing pools for over 40 years.

The first quote is from the local PB (which I went to high school with. We are #10 on his list and depending on weather, etc. He can start our build in June 2022.

Pool Information: Inground Pool, 3.5ft to 6.5ft deep, (includes walls and base)
Excavation
28-30 mil liner of choice
One (1) Skimmer
Four (4) Pool Returns
Deep end-in wall ladder
Two (2) Hayward 320 Nitchless Lights
1.50 hp Hayward Pump (see below)
Hayward Sand Filter
Dolphin S200 Automatic Pool Cleaner
Hayward Aquaplus Salt System
Solid Safety Cover per personal drawing
Electrical wiring of pool equipment
Concrete (included in base standard base bid (deep end 4ft, sides 4ft, entry end 6ft) (see below)
Total Base Bid: $37,843.71

Add-ons and Upgrades:
Upgrade base pump to: 1.65 hp Hayward Max Flow VS500 Pump (+$487)
Add: Heater / Cooler – Rheem/Raypak 6450 Heat Pump (+$4,506.68)
Additional Concrete: 540sq.ft @ $6ft = ($3,240) (see attached drawing)
Total Add-ons & Upgrades: $8,233.68
Grand Total: ($37,843.71 + $8,233.68) = $46,077.39

This quote is from the out of town PB. They can get started on the build in Mid to Late Spring of 2022.

Pool Information: Inground Pool, 3.5ft to 6.5ft deep, (includes walls and base) (white aluminum coping and white stairs)
Excavation
28-30 mil liner of choice
Two (2) Skimmers
Five (5) Pool Returns
Two (2) Main Drains
Deep end wall ladder (not the in-wall type)
Concrete (included in base standard base bid (deep end 8ft, sides 4ft, entry end 8ft)
VSP Pentair Pump
Pentair Sand Filter
Pentair Intellichor
Total Base Bid: $44,289

Add-ons:
Automatic Pool Cleaner (+$799)
Solid Safety Cover per personal drawing (+$3,200)
Led Lights (+$795 Each)
Total Add-ons & Upgrades: $4,794

Additional concrete that I will hire out: $1,000

Pentair Heat / Cool (+$7,300)
Electrical wiring of pool equipment ( I would have to do myself, which I can)
Grand Total: = $50,083 (without electrical work and the Heater / Cooler)

I could knock off the $3,200 from bid #2 and buy my cover somewhere else and install the anchors myself.

So there is about a $4,000 difference between the two and I lose the Heat / cool option by going with PB #2.

My dilemma is this, yes I can afford to pay for #2 quote but in my mind I really want a heater / cooler for the pool so we can add a few more month to the season (I live in SE Missouri). I can do the wiring myself (rather not) for the electrical that PB #2 doesn't do. They can get to the build sooner than PB #1. My other issue is PB #1 has ghosted me and isn't answering my questions which makes me a little uneasy when it comes down to build time and communicating issues with me.

I've looked at pools done by both and both do great work.

So with all that said what thoughts do you all have on who to choose, etc?

Last edited:
Reactions: markdpratt
After more discussion I think we are going with the local PB. We talked about communication, etc.

We just get more bang for the buck with him over the other PB, plus I really want the heater / chiller and I’m not paying $7,300 from PB #2

176EDCF3-E3D3-475B-ABD0-0C7E9DA5F633.jpeg
This is the layout we settled on…which might change 100 times more. If I’m not busy at work, I tend to draw variations of the pool layout. Lol

The thick line around the perimeter is the fence and the highlighted spots at the sidewalk are gates. The side walk that goes to the left of the pool into the shop will be added so i can store pool accessories. I can also store drinks and snacks in the refrigerator in the shop.

The geeen colored areas will be landscaping of some sort. Concrete on the left and right of the pool is 10’ wide, 4’ wide on the deep end and 10’ wide at the step end.

we will be adding exterior lighting as well and cameras and of course outdoor speakers.

Should be getting with the PB Tuesday next week to put down some money. And so the wait begins!

Thoughts on what material to use in the landscaping areas? Was thinking river rock but we do have about 20 large pine trees that line the back yard. They are about 50' from the end and right side of the pool. Normally we don't have any pine needles in the area where the pool will be but was worried about pine needles getting in the river rock and how hard it might be to get them out.

The difference in start time is going to be nothing compared to the lifetime of the project. Go with the PB you're more comfortable dealing with. If you think you had an impactful conversation and are comfortable with the local PB, and they are giving a better deal, that seems like a good call. We ended up doing the same, going with a PB that was a bit cheaper and offering more, and have been more than happy with them.

Also, do keep in mind that this is an active, physical construction site. A PB 90 minutes away means at least 90 minutes to deal with any problems, assuming you can even convince them that it will be worth their time to drive out...

The layout looks nice. The fence immediately around the pool makes it feel a little commercial... Is it for safety / code compliance? What kind of fence is it supposed to be? I don't see it in your listings on either quote.

The difference in start time is going to be nothing compared to the lifetime of the project. Go with the PB you're more comfortable dealing with. If you think you had an impactful conversation and are comfortable with the local PB, and they are giving a better deal, that seems like a good call. We ended up doing the same, going with a PB that was a bit cheaper and offering more, and have been more than happy with them.

Also, do keep in mind that this is an active, physical construction site. A PB 90 minutes away means at least 90 minutes to deal with any problems, assuming you can even convince them that it will be worth their time to drive out...

The layout looks nice. The fence immediately around the pool makes it feel a little commercial... Is it for safety / code compliance? What kind of fence is it supposed to be? I don't see it in your listings on either quote.
I agree, lifetime of the project is more important than a few month earlier start time. I'd be kicking myself for giving up a few things and spending more money with the other PB.

It's one of those mesh fences for safety, we have two dogs and a grandchild on the way. As far as code goes, we live in the county and we can do whatever we want. We already have a chain link fence that surrounds the entire back yard. As far as insurance goes, the chain link fence is good enough for them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree, lifetime of the project is more important than a few month earlier start time. I'd be kicking myself for giving up a few things and spending more money with the other PB.

It's one of those mesh fences for safety, we have two dogs and a grandchild on the way. As far as code goes, we live in the county and we can do whatever we want. We already have a chain link fence that surrounds the entire back yard. As far as insurance goes, the chain link fence is good enough for them.
Gotta protect the grandkids! Mesh fencing will look fine. I thought it might be chain link or metal or something.

3D renderings look great!! I wishVIP3d/Pool Studio was not so expensive and they had a pricing option for personal use... I did the same as you downloaded the trial, learned to use it a paid for 2 months so I could play around with my design.. It was really fun to learn to use but VERY expensive just for personal use.

I have Virtual Architect, which is a simple one-time fee. I'll have to check if it can do pools.

3D renderings look great!! I wishVIP3d/Pool Studio was not so expensive and they had a pricing option for personal use... I did the same as you downloaded the trial, learned to use it a paid for 2 months so I could play around with my design.. It was really fun to learn to use but VERY expensive just for personal use.
OMG You're telling me, it's nice but expensive for sure. I use AutoCAD Civil 3D at work (I'm a designer at a Civil Engineering firm). Too bad it's not as easy to use as Pool Studio for doing 3D renderings, especially pool layouts.
I have Virtual Architect, which is a simple one-time fee. I'll have to check if it can do pools.

I haven't looked into that one, just saw the Pool Studio trial and thought hey why not.

Reactions: joel98z
Heard from the builder a week ago. We've had a lot of rain recently and they've been working 60+ hours a week to catch up. He's hoping to get started on ours in a couple of weeks.🤞

Welp, still no show and no progress. He won't even answer my texts, so who the heck knows when he will show. Guess that's just the nature of pool builders.
And so it still continues, no contact, zilch nadda nothing. I really want to reach out again but maybe I should just leave it alone?????
Good luck with your build! I have no idea where your trust/confidence level is with your PB, but the lack of communication/delays resembles mine. I signed with my PB in October 2020 to build in July 2021, PB still has not started anything, and only communicates with me when I stop into their office. It is not "just the nature of pool builders." I 100% regret not choosing a different PB I got quotes from, would've had my pool in 2021 as planned (unfortunately he has retired, so I couldn't eat my sunk costs at this point if I wanted to). Be professional and persistent in your follow ups to your PB, but you aren't in the freak out stage yet. Just need to be patient. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, but be professional about it (even if the PB isn't professional in their communication).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.