New Pool Build in Oklahoma - Current Stage....Waiting to enjoy it for the first summer

I'd love to help but plaster is foreign to me with vinyl. :ROFLMAO: There's alot of nitty gritty for the varying finish details. Allen on the other hand is the Plaster Whisperer and will be along shortly. :)
Thanks Dude! I knew you were vinyl but wasn't sure if you had insight on plaster startup from your time here.

@boomer2015 - Pretty sure you have a couple days before you need to get chems in it. I don't think you want to throw them in right away as I believe it can effect the surface. Would rather play it safe, especially since this time of year with the cooler water temps, you have less chance of issues with algae.

Hang tight and Allen should be by soon.

--Jeff

Reactions: Newdude
Let’s start with what Plaster Start-Up Guides - Further Reading you will be following.

Then we need to know the chemistry of your initial fill water.

Only three things to buy now:

• A few gallons of 10% Liquid Chlorine
  • 31% Muriatic Acid
  • Dry Stabilizer
How many gallons in your pool?

Let’s start with what Plaster Start-Up Guides - Further Reading you will be following.

Then we need to know the chemistry of your initial fill water.

Only three things to buy now:

• A few gallons of 10% Liquid Chlorine
  • 31% Muriatic Acid
  • Dry Stabilizer
How many gallons in your pool?
Seems like start up is on me, so it looks like I'd prefer the traditional method. I know they added 2 gallons of Startup-tec pool treatment but nothing else has been added to my knowledge.

Chemistry of fill water will come tomorrow as soon as the test kit arrives...thought I had already ordered this 🤦‍♂️

I'll go grab some of each of those items to have at the house for now. Not full yet but estimating around 18,000 gallons.

Did you check your water meter before/after filling so you know the volume of the pool? Or do you have a rough estimate from the builder?

Also, if you haven't downloaded the PoolMath app yet, you should do so. This app makes it so much easier to manage your chemistry, because it will keep logs for all your additions. And a lot of people don't like the idea of paying for the premium version, but for $8 a year and it keeps up with all of the logs and stuff, it is totally worth it. I just consider it a small fee to keep me out of the pool store.

--Jeff
Thanks, Turbo!

Have pictures of water meter so we should be close once it's full. Pool math premium is downloaded and ready to roll. I've been playing around with it and love the way it works, definitely worth it.

Fill Water is:

FC = 1
PH = 6.8
TA = 30
CH = 125

That is very soft water and the opposite of the best water chemistry for a plaster startup.

Consider doing...

It is a bit of work to get setup and doctor your fill water.

Just curious how you got these numbers, as I know you mentioned you were not expecting the test kit to arrive until tomorrow.

--Jeff
Fair question! It actually arrived today so I went ahead and ran numbers when I got home.8C2A78BC-3B31-4912-902A-4EB17A79532B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was just as impressed with that kit last week as I was when I got it in the spring. For $10 more than the k2006 that does *not* include a smart stir, it's a NO brainer.

I was just as impressed with that kit last week as I was when I got it in the spring. For $10 more than the k2006 that does *not* include a smart stir, it's a NO brainer.
Don't know anything about other test kits....just know I found TFP when looking at building a pool and the advice seemed reasonable as well as the people being extremely helpful. Pretty easy to go all in here with TFP, particularly when you've received that sort of welcoming.

Test results this morning are:

FC = 1
PH = >8.2
TA = 70
CH = 300
CYA = 0 (when should I be adding this?)

based on the bicarb method I need to be between 400ppm - 500ppm with TA+CH. Pool Math says 17lbs of Calcium Chloride will raise CH to 400 which would put me in the correct range.

Hopefully I'm doing all of this correctly!

TA + CH of 370 is close enough to 400. I would not add more CH.

Add 30-50 ppm of CYA after day 4.

Test results this morning are:

FC = 1
PH = >8.2
TA = 70
CH = 300
CYA = 0 (when should I be adding this?)

based on the bicarb method I need to be between 400ppm - 500ppm with TA+CH. Pool Math says 17lbs of Calcium Chloride will raise CH to 400 which would put me in the correct range.

Hopefully I'm doing all of this correctly!
Great work on testing.
One suggestion is to also test CC - that is done directly after the FC test. So include that as part of your testing going forward.

I run my CH in the 350-375 range so no need to increase CH too much. It may creep up anyway with your fill water of 125ppm.

I also run my TA at 60-70, so when adding MA to decrease pH, do it in small steps so you do not drop TA too much. Use the PoolMath app to look at Effects of Adding.

Per NPC guidelines, adjust CYA after day 4.

I run my CH in the 350-375 range so no need to increase CH too much. It may creep up anyway with your fill water of 125ppm.

His question is specific to during his BiCarb startup process and not normal operation. Levels are different during the startup.

So, I haven't been able to get PH within range at all and have been following Pool Math suggestions. I need to add CYA today as well....

added a picture of a current PH Testing for viewing...What would you all calculate this at?

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 9

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.