Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello,

I live in NJ and in the early stages of planning for an in ground pool. A friend of mine who owns a pool said it’s better to have the pool installed now (Sept/Oct/Nov) to give the dirt a chance to settle before laying pavers around the pool.

In NJ the pool season, without a heater starts approximately in June/July.

To all you pool pros I ask, when will be the best time? This year Sept/Oct/Nov or next year March/April?

Thank you for your time,
Joe

The pool will take 2-3 months before you can swim. Now is as good a time as any. Not sure the ground "settling" will make any difference. If you started today you might get your hole dug before winter. Almost no chance at all you'd get a completed pool by next year. It took close to 3 weeks to get all my permitting in place before they could dig so there's that too. It depends also what you are going to get. Plaster, fiberglass or liner based.

We are in eastern PA, and are 1.5 weeks into our (IG liner) build. We originally wanted a spring build, but so glad we decided on fall. Our pool is moving along at record speed (knock on the biggest wooden thing around me). It will be complete by the end of next week, pending any crazy weather. Our permits only took 5 business days. After doing months and months of talking to those with recent builds, it seems things can be pushed back more in the spring because that's when everyone WANTS A POOL AND WANTS IT NOW TO SWIM FOR SUMMER :ROFLMAO:

Soooo. I vote for a fall build :D

Now is a great time but you wanna break ground soon. Work gets harder right around halloween when we start getting froat here in NJ. For pavers you want natural settling and heavy mechanical compacting along with a solid base. I'm up north in heavy clay I have 18" of base around my pool some spots even more. Down south doesn't need it with the sandy soil 6" is usually good. Insist on geotextile under you paver base

Reactions: l1ltaral1l
Hello,
I’ve been researching sheet water falls. The highest install height I can find is 3’. Does anyone know where I can buy one that’s above 3’. Ideally 6’ would be perfect. Something similar to what’s in the attached photo.

Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

• 266E26A6-4D1C-4E86-9183-52DA3EC0E066.jpeg
    266E26A6-4D1C-4E86-9183-52DA3EC0E066.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 38

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jandy 1106C

Jandy 1106C

That's 6 feet wide. It's not intended to be used at 6 feet high.

Standard units won't work at 6 feet high if you want the water to remain a sheet.

3 feet high is the standard height limit.

If you want a sheer descent that's over 3 feet high where the sheet remains solid, you will have to go to a commercial supplier and it will probably be a custom product.

You will also need a very high flow pump to supply enough water flow.

Hello,

I live in NJ and in the early stages of planning for an in ground pool. A friend of mine who owns a pool said it’s better to have the pool installed now (Sept/Oct/Nov) to give the dirt a chance to settle before laying pavers around the pool.

In NJ the pool season, without a heater starts approximately in June/July.

To all you pool pros I ask, when will be the best time? This year Sept/Oct/Nov or next year March/April?

Thank you for your time,
Joe

All I can advise is: get a heater! We are in Ottawa and I cannot even imagine having a pool without one. Even with our hot summers, the season would just be too short. We keep ours open May through mid-late October.

Hi Joe,
I don't know if you're getting a liner or gunite pool but either way I vote to build it whenever you can and don't put it off. Only because if you can do it before the winter and decide to push it to spring "just because" you never know what the weather will bring. There could be crazy rain that delays the builder by a month. I'm in southern NY (right next to NJ) and everyone backfills with the dig dirt. It settles big time and if you let it sit over a winter and then do decking / landscaping you'll know it's been compacted. I wold put off something (like landscaping) till the next year in order to get a heater. You'll love it. You'll be able to swim 5 months out of the year. 7 months if you want to swim in April and October, though the air is cold then and I don't feel the need to. I keep the pool open for looks though :) If you don't get one from the start, dig and plumb for it for the future. You'll spend a lot of money (and make a total mess) trenching for it down the road.
Chris

Hey Chris,

I’m going with a liner pool. You made a lot of valid points. Heater, weather compacting of the soil. All
very important. I’m going to shoot for the fall instead of the spring.

Thank you for you help.
Joe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.