New Pool Build in MA!

I wanted the pool as far away from the house as possible. When I'm "at the pool," I want to feel as though I'm on vacation -- I don't want to hear phones ringing or people talking or the drone of the TV. I want to gaze upon the water and hear the sound of the waterfall -- but that's all I want to see and hear. We toyed with putting the pool at the edge of the driveway (if you look toward the house), but nixed that idea, because it would cut into the sight line of the large expanse of lawn, which we like. Plus, I really did want peace and quiet out by the pool.

Pool is coming along nicely. I am curious why you put it so far from the house?

Everything seems fine. Gunite scheduled for Wednesday!

Boonie you can just use your tape measure that you have. You should have your pool plans. Get that out and see what the plans say it should be. You can also look at each area............do the steps LOOK right? Is the deep end deep enough? Shallow end? Sun shelf-big enough? deep enough?

PLEASE use GREAT care if you decide to get in to measure.

Kim :cat:

And we have gunite!

IMG_0997_zpssbjoh6sv.jpg
[/URL]

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0994_zpsuzvgnamc.jpg
[/URL]

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0998_zpsfdastwbe.jpg
[/URL]

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1003_zps2b4gnvgi.jpg
[/URL]

BONNIE! That is HUGE!! Have you started bonding with it? (watering it down)

You are getting close to being done. Now would be the purrfect time to know what test kit your PB is giving you. Let us know what he says and we will guide you from there.

Kim:cat:

Hey Kim,
What's the purpose of watering down the gunite? Of course, I've been doing it -- twice a day for an hour each time, but it takes 2 sprinklers and the sprinkler I have in the deep end keeps on having to be moved further into the shallow end. If it goes under water, it stops working and I'm anticipating that within the next day or so, I'll have to move it back even further toward the shallow end and in doing that, it will no longer reach the walls and the edges of the deep end anymore.

I'll find out from my PB what kind of test kit I will get. Stay tuned!

Bonnie

BONNIE! That is HUGE!! Have you started bonding with it? (watering it down)

You are getting close to being done. Now would be the purrfect time to know what test kit your PB is giving you. Let us know what he says and we will guide you from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! As you know, we're having a week of rain here, so I doubt there will be any more work done on the pool this week. As soon as the sun comes back out, I expect things to start progressing again. I hope the pool will be nice and big. Looking at it up close and in person, it doesn't look so big, but I'm hoping that will change once water is in it. There is going to be a marked lap lane and I hope to be able to swim some laps.

Congrats on the pool build! We also have a "destination pool" a bit away from the house and love it.

Rain has ended and tile went in today. Here are some pics.
IMG_1014_zpsnhg4gph2.jpg
[/URL]

Thanks! As you know, we're having a week of rain here, so I doubt there will be any more work done on the pool this week. As soon as the sun comes back out, I expect things to start progressing again. I hope the pool will be nice and big. Looking at it up close and in person, it doesn't look so big, but I'm hoping that will change once water is in it. There is going to be a marked lap lane and I hope to be able to swim some laps.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1016_zpsy0h9e0yz.jpg
[/URL]

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1015_zps7vqqwslq.jpg
[/URL]

Question -- do pool builders generally manage pool build projects the same way general contractors manage projects? I'm finding that while the subs seem to know what they're doing and are doing a very good job, the guy who is the "manager," of the project can't answer some basic questions (ie: how far from a "right of way," does the pool shed have to be?). Too, one of the tile guys had chicken for lunch and threw the bones on my lawn and my dog ate the chicken bones. Thank goodness she's alright, but I had to explain to the worker that chicken bones can be lethal for dogs. I'm trying to be a good sport, but I'm getting upset at some of this stuff. Advice?

Deep breath. I'm afraid many jobs go like this. No one cares for your property, pool, house, dogs, like you do. That's why once this is all over, you['ll have your own test kit because no one will test and care for that water like you. :) You can try to speak to the crews or site leaders, but remember they just don't have that same investment (personally) like you do.

They know what they know......things like easement is over their "pay grade". There MAY be someone in the company that knows that stuff BUT they will not be pool side.

I would be checking that kind of thing on my own just to make sure. That could be bad if they don't know BUT say xx just to keep moving.

:shock: on the chicken bones. gurrrrrrrrr Don't leave ANY of your trash in my yard and that include FOOD waste! My dog or the ants! will find it!

Breath and supervise. The only things you can really do.

Now I have another question.

We have decided to move an existing 12X16 shed (in great condition), on our property over to the pool area. I found a guy on Craigslist who will move the shed for $500. The shed is currently on sonar tubes, but we'd like to dispense with the steep ramp and have a concrete slab poured instead. My pool contractor is quoting me an extra $5,400 to pour a concrete slab to put the shed on. He says that he needs 12" of gravel for the sub base, 3 hours of grading with a bobcat, and rebar for added support. Does this seem like an incredible amount of money? I don't know what to do. Because the pool equipment is going behind the shed, the PB wants the shed in place ASAP. And yet, I don't want to pay this kind of money for a concrete slab. I know if I tell the BP to just put in sonar tubes, he'll charge me an arm and a leg for that, too. I don't feel as though I have a choice here. Advice?

They know what they know......things like easement is over their "pay grade". There MAY be someone in the company that knows that stuff BUT they will not be pool side.

I would be checking that kind of thing on my own just to make sure. That could be bad if they don't know BUT say xx just to keep moving.

:shock: on the chicken bones. gurrrrrrrrr Don't leave ANY of your trash in my yard and that include FOOD waste! My dog or the ants! will find it!

Breath and supervise. The only things you can really do.

The tile is Tahitian. We haven't decided on the Pebble Sheen color yet. We're going to go and look at some pools with different Pebble Sheen finishes and decide that way. We're looking for a medium blue water color.

Well your shed will be on a very firm place and level as all get out but man that is a LOT of money. I would check around with "regular" concrete people and see what they will charge and see if the PB will match their price. If not just have the other people do it. BUT you should give the PB a chance (I bet he will match the price).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.