New Pool Build in Houston

zxt427

Mar 24, 2021
Houston, TX
Hi everyone. This forum has been very helpful and I wanted to run my pool specs by this group to see if I should change anything up.

General Pool Specs
Pool perimeter - 97 ft; Length - 33ft; Width - 14ft; Sq ft - 467
Depth - 3.5x5x4 (we want a sports pool)
Gallons - 14,500
Wet Edge Luna Quartz
Travertino decking of about 570 sq ft
Umbrella sleeves
Big tanning shelf
4 LED color lights (2 in pool; 1 on tanning ledge; 1 in spa)

On the general design (which I've attached), I think we are going to ask the pool builder to extend the tanning shelf all the way across and have the steps extend into the pool instead of taking away from the size of the tanning shelf. And, we are also considering having the tanning shelf be on the opposite side of the pool from the spa - not sure I am sold on the idea of the spa flowing onto the tanning shelf, however if anyone has this design and likes it, I'd love to hear from you.

Equipment
Schedule 40 plumbing
Neverlube valves
2" suction lines
4 surface returns
2" overflow
Paramount ParaSkim V Skimmer (quote only has one, but I think I may need two?)
Anti-Vortex Safety Drains
Auto fill fill line
Hayward Cartridge filtering system
Hayward variable speed pump 2.7 HP
Hayward Omni Wifi
Polaris 280 (may consider dropping this in favor of getting a Dolphin)
Jandy Fusion Chlorine System

Spa Specs
7x7; 6 jets
Hayward Low NOX Heather 400,000 BTU
1.5 HP blower

I understand the benefits of a salt water pool and have read many responses on here discussing the pros, however we have decided against it.

Appreciate any feedback!

Attachments

• Pool 1.jpg
    Pool 1.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 57
  • Pool 2.jpg
    Pool 2.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 56
Welcome to the forum!
I understand the benefits of a salt water pool and have read many responses on here discussing the pros, however we have decided against it.
OK -- but you do not want the Jandy Fusion thing. It adds metals. You will stain your pool surfaces and turn blonde hair green.
The DAILY addition of liquid chlorine works just fine. I would suggest you have the PB leave a run of PVC after the heater long enough to add the SWCG later.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!

OK -- but you do not want the Jandy Fusion thing. It adds metals. You will stain your pool surfaces and turn blonde hair green.
The DAILY addition of liquid chlorine works just fine. I would suggest you have the PB leave a run of PVC after the heater long enough to add the SWCG later.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thank you for the welcome. On the Jandy Fusion, what would be a better alternative chlorinator to put in? I intend on using the TFPC method for taking care of the pool, but want an automatic chlorinator installed as back up.

we had a very similar pool in our last house except the beach was just below the spa and steps came off the beach. We omitted the beach in our new pool as our youngest is 5 and the beach was mainly for when they were toddlers.

Based on suggestions here you want a minimum of 4' of water depth otherwise you cant swim in that area. We are doing 4 6 4 in our sport pool. Kids want to jump and 5' is just a little shallow. Make sure you specify water depth not pool depth. We had the volleyball holes and no one ever used them so we skipped them this time.

We also maximized the length of the pool to make it almost possible to swim laps, though it is still way too short. I think 40 ft is what you need to swim laps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.