New Pool Build in Connecticut

Oct 26, 2017
Middletown ct
Hi all, first time poster here.. so glad I found this forum before we got too far. Ready to sign contracts this week and get building in next few weeks. Off-season for us, trying to get pool done now so the patio can go in early spring, and be ready for the all-too-brief pool season here in the Northeast. Here's what we're considering, let me know what you think... Thanks in advance!

18x36 Double Roman - Imperial Pools
Vinyl liner - Dover Vinyl - Considering Mosaic, Royal Seabrook, Aquarius, Blue Beach Pebble Print or Clear Water Blue Print? Want a medium blue appearance if possible, not sure if those are too dark
Aluminum coping - Grey flat progressive or rounded?
Stamped concrete patio
Liner full end radius stair at shallow end
Side sundeck to match roman end... 4x14?, 18" deep... intent is for adults to lounge while watching kids
Would like diving board at deep end
Considering slide into side between diving board end and side sundeck... Will I have enough room?
2 Skimmers opposite side of sundeck
4 Returns
SR Smith Ladder
SR Smith Handrail
Hayward Sand Filter
Hayward 1 1/2 hp variable speed pump
Frog mineral system
Electric heat pump - AquaCal
Manual vacuum... Is robot cleaner worth it?
2 Hayward ColorLogic 1.5" LED lights... Are these enough to notice the effect?
3 Deckjets... Is it worth springing for a fountain instead?

If standing on back deck of house looking into yard, pool will be off to the right... trying to preserve left half of lawn for activities. Shallow end near house, deep end away, sundeck on far side. Thinking patio chairs and table around shallow end 8-12' concrete, minimal concrete around deeper half, maybe 4' wide. Connect patio to deck via concrete walkway at least. (Photo is of yard from rear, so pool would go along left side of this photo)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 3.59.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 3.59.13 PM.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 3.59.34 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 3.59.34 PM.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4977.jpg
    IMG_4977.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 134
Welcome to the forum!

I will focus on equipment --
Variable Speed pump -- good.
Frog mineral system -- not good. Read this - Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!
Adding copper to your pool water leads to staining, turning blonde hair and fingernails green, and the only way to get rid of the copper is to drain the pool.
Sand Filter - works good. Easiest to maintain. Does use water each time you back wash. Does not filter the finest of particles.
Vacuum -- those that have them love the robots. It may not clean your sundeck as they need about 10" of water to operate.

Anyway - please reconsider using the Frog. TFPC guides you to using liquid chlorine or a Salt Water Chlorine Generator.

Take care.

No they are both quality products.. just was wondering why not using imperial liner with imperial steel.. doesn't really matter. If he is comfortable with a product that is what he should use.. defer to his experience & preferences

Thank you, that's good to hear!
He offered Latham or Dover liner choice, but said Dover is including free safety cover if order placed this Fall (which we're doing).
We went with the Royal Seabook, no border. Hopefully placing the order today. Getting excited!

Welcome to the site! What an exciting time this is for your family. Each time someone starts building I relive those planning phase thoughts all over again.

I give a few thoughts on design, though some of them may be too late. Is your sundeck big enough for what you want to do? I agree the shape works really well, but just be sure that you give function equal (or more) consideration to aesthetics. My concern is that I see many people using sundecks to put chaise lounges on. And I'm not sure if you can fit more than one on the sundeck. The arc really decreases the usable space since chaises are rectangles. But it should be plenty big for one chaise or a few chairs. Keep in mind that I don't have a sundeck so my thoughts are just from what I've seen and how I could imagine using it.

On your deck size on the house side. 8' is definitely not enough for a table/chairs and to have walking space next to the pool. Ten, twelve or fourteen feet would be more ideal. It is common for people to feel their deck space is too small after the build is complete. Aside from pocketbook concerns, I've never heard someone say that extra deck space was a waste.

It seems like you may be trying to squeeze in every option available with a diving board, slide and deck jets, along with a sundeck. All of that may seem like a little much. Though your pool is a good size. Just a thought, not trying to discourage you from doing them. Decks jets are pretty, but, like a waterfall, are muratic acid eaters (to fight the pH rise created while running them from the aeration - though maybe less than waterfalls).

Is a diving board a good/real option for your pool? I ask because of the roman end and the way the bottom slopes. The board would need to be an 8' board for sure (not 6'). Then are the protruding corners still ok for the diving envelope? If your PH says it's ok within the official diving envelope needs, then I'd suspect it it. But it's one of those things that I'd like to confirm myself. Also, 8' is also minimum of for a diving pool going to 8 1/2 or 9' provides some additional margin for "error". I have a diving board and love it some I'm certainly not trying to discourage that either in the broader sense.

I really like putting the pool in your lawn lengthwise like you plan to. I think that's a good choice. How will your fencing work? Pool area only? Full backyard fenced? Fenced up to house - with door alarms?

Feel free to reply to as little or as much as above. I just like to put some topics out for thought.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.