New Pool build in Connecticut - Feedback wanted!!!!

Jun 30, 2018
Connecticut
My wife and I have been toying with getting a pool for the kiddos the last few years and this year we finally decided to make the plunge! Kids are 3 and 5 and we're looking forward to creating a lot of great family memories out back! We're in process of finalizing our contract for the pool and given we've never owned a pool before, we'd really like to hear what other veterans would have to say about some of the options we've selected. As with most pool contractors, our options tend to be limited as it seems they don't want to have the hassle of understanding too many pieces of equipment, which is understandable. Here's our current setup:

20 X 36 Gemini Pacific Pool - Polymer walls - Graphex
8' walk in steps (gray)
Natural Gray liner from Latham Pools, no border
Hayward DE ProGrid filter
Hayward Omni VS pump
2 LED color changing lights
Aqua Comfort 125 heat pump
Auto Pilot salt system
Dolphin S300 robot vacuum
safety cover
Ladder, stair handrail, skimmers etc. in a gray color

We've gone back and forth on whether to add a bench or not and right now are leaning to no. Would definitely love to hear what others think about the option to skip the bench, especially with young kids. Gives another exit point for them, but it also creates a shallow spot in a normally safe area for jumping. We'll be doing stamped concrete around the pool. Should we be looking at anything else to add in to the mix? Do we have the right equipment selected or have people had problems with the equipment above? Is our pool big enough for a family of 4 that likes to entertain? Looking for any and all feedback, particularly from those in the northeast as well as those with small children!

Excited to get this sucker installed! Picture below is our yard - the rock wall is all boulders that are about 30 feet high at the highest point. Thinking of putting the pool in the red area (sun moves right to left throughout the day on the picture).

house.jpg

Last edited:
Hey there! Welcome to TFP :wave: You came to the right place to have the pool vetted out.

I think it looks great. I agree with you about the bench, in my mind it could be an obstacle to safe jumps and dives in. A ladder also provides egress out.

How deep are you planning on going?

Throw an outlet or two near the pool, as well as a hose bib for ease of watering flowers or topping off the pool quickly.

I like the idea of gray steps and solid liner very much.

Keep us posted as the build progresses please?

Maddie :flower:

Sounds wonderful!!

We are doing a bench instead of stairs in the deep end. Mostly for the look of it though (our pool is 2 offset rectangles sort of, so the bench matches the style)

I love that liner! I almost went for it but I have heard the coloured lights don’t show quite as well, I didn’t actually research that myself though. We pushed the decision to the last minute and so didn’t have time. We went with sandstone

Oh goodie!! A new pool to help build for two kids!!!! Happy dance :party:

Lets get this party started!

Equipment-need model numbers please. Get them in writing in you contract.

Safety cover-what brand and model?

Who will do the decking? How much decking and what kind?

Where will the equipment be going?

Make sure you put a light by your equipment pad! You will thank me the first time you have to go out there in the dark.

Like Maddie asked-what are your depths?

That should get us started!

Kim:kim:

Ok - got some more updated information based on some of the really good questions here for our 20X36 pool. These are all plans and can be changed - so advice is welcomed!!!

shallow end starts at 3'4"; deep end will be 7'
2 skimmers will be valved to operate independently (are these enough skimmers?)
2 in step returns (on one run of plumbing)
2 pool returns (one shallow end and one on the deep ends, in one run of plumbing)

Hayward 4800 DE grid with Hayward Omni VS pump (makes it sound like there's only one model of the VS pump?)
Aqua Comfort 125 pool heater
Auto Pilot pool pilot (makes it sound like there's only one model for residential pools?)
Safety cover is the Pacific Pools 5000 mesh

Does this all sounds ok or should I be looking at different equipment or a solid cover, etc.?

Thanks for all of your help. This place is awesome. I've spent way too much time on this forum over the past week learning as much as I can about pools so that the install goes well. I imagine I'll continue to spend this much time as we get used to having and maintaining the pool!

add 2 more returns and at least have them in pairs on home runs back to pad, ideally they would be on their own lines. do not do 2 returns both on same line its 100bucks for the extra PVC and 5 min labor to do it better...

Auto pilot does come in different sizes. Here is a link I grabbed to show this: AutoPilot Cell | Pool Pilot Cell | Free Shipping | Authorized Dealer You want one that is rated at least twice the size of your pool. This will save money down the road on electric costs and cell replacement.

Cover-do you get a lot of leaves in your yard? If so I would think about the solid cover.

Heater-quite a few people have had good luck with the Raypacs. I will let you do a search to see what you find. There a quite a few threads on them.

I will be back about the decking ideas!

Great call on the returns. I've had them add two and run independent lines for all except the two in the stairs which will both be on the same line.

Thanks Kim - I'll get the model number on the auto pilot.

Are two skimmers enough? In my thread searching I see a lot of info on returns but little info on skimmers and the right number of them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay I am going to try to get in your head and see the whats and whys so I can help with everything.

Is there a reason you have the pool pushed back by the rock wall (it is so pretty and neat!)?

How old are the kids? How many?

Will you do an outdoor kitchen? Where are you thinking of putting it?

This will get us started.

Great questions! Kids are age 3 and 5 - only have 2 now but who knows?!?

The main reasons we were pushing back to the rock wall:
- maximize grassy area for the kids
- try to incorporate the potential beauty that the rock wall has to offer
- we aren't planning on going all the way to the wall with it, we don't want the kids now or in the not to distant future thinking it's a good idea to try and jump off of the rock wall into the pool

The picture taken is from my deck, so if we ran the pool lengthwise against the driveway, it would pretty much take up from the house to the japanese maple tree. We could put the pool in the middle of the yard of course, but then the amount of grassy space in the back for the kids to play is split up pretty badly and they don't have a 'large' grassy space.

Outdoor kitchen is probably a strong word for what we'll end up having. We do more 'grilling' and picnicky type outdoor things. I've already built an 8 ft table and benches. We may do a pergola or an open shelter. Haven't decided yet on that yet, but definitely open to those being a part of the master plan.

Our original vision of this project was kind of a natural retreat more than it was to re-create a Caribbean oasis. We are much more adirondack type folks as opposed to contemporary modern.

Does that help at all?

We are also in Connecticut and just build a new pool last fall, so this is our first Summer with the pool. Our PB gave us a bench free of charge so we took it. At the time we weren't really sure we would need it, but I can tell you we are SO glad we have it. It's nice area to sit and chill out and take a break and watch the kids play. So as it turns out something we really didn't care about has turned into something we love.

Auto pilot does come in different sizes. Here is a link I grabbed to show this: AutoPilot Cell | Pool Pilot Cell | Free Shipping | Authorized Dealer You want one that is rated at least twice the size of your pool. This will save money down the road on electric costs and cell replacement.

Cover-do you get a lot of leaves in your yard? If so I would think about the solid cover.

Heater-quite a few people have had good luck with the Raypacs. I will let you do a search to see what you find. There a quite a few threads on them.

I will be back about the decking ideas!

Solid covers are evil, miserable, tough to fold and store & don’t last as long as high quality UV block mesh.

The 5000 series is a LATHAM product, if you miss the timing it will open like a swamp.

The Heat pump specced & salt system specced are top shelf products, the local rep & manufacturers owner are good friends of mine.

You mentioned independent skimmer valves. I would ask for "true union ball valves". I'm not sure of everyone's opinion on them but I think they're great. They have unions on both sides on the valve, and the actual ball portion of the valve is serviceable or replaceable without redoing any plumbing.

I love the idea of having the grass area maintained for the kids, we wanted to do the same thing but had to end up with ours BEYOND the pool instead of BEFORE. Our yard is.. let's just say.. a PITA.

Anyways, I can't tell from the picture and didn't see you mention it, but is that building beyond the boulder wall your property? If so, probably no issue, if not watch your setbacks.

Also from pictures, you have a fence, but is it to pool code? Not sure if you need that in CT, but since we're bordering I can't imagine our NE overlords look at pools that much differently.

With the young kids, I'm in similar boat, we were struggling with how to place our fence, do we want the pool access right off our house? Not that kids at 3 would be outside unattended, but more when our boys are 10 and they decide to go outside, we now need to make sure they play elsewhere, or go watch them.

We ended up fencing the entire yard, but this process taught us that there are at a minimum 4 stages to pool ownership for us:

1 - Young kid time -- Watch like hawk, in the pool with them at all times, family time
2 - Older kid time -- Friends in the pool, "leave us alone", "look what I can do" dangerous time, watch like hawk
3 - college kid time -- Yea.. you know the drill
4 - Wife and Husband time -- Ahhh the spa feels nice.

So getting a design that can maximize the use through all those years was important to us and to not build in features or design things for 3-4 years of time. We will definitely add to our paradise over the years, but want the pool to be a fixture that was right on day 1.

I love the idea of having the grass area maintained for the kids, we wanted to do the same thing but had to end up with ours BEYOND the pool instead of BEFORE. Our yard is.. let's just say.. a PITA.

Anyways, I can't tell from the picture and didn't see you mention it, but is that building beyond the boulder wall your property? If so, probably no issue, if not watch your setbacks.

Also from pictures, you have a fence, but is it to pool code? Not sure if you need that in CT, but since we're bordering I can't imagine our NE overlords look at pools that much differently.

With the young kids, I'm in similar boat, we were struggling with how to place our fence, do we want the pool access right off our house? Not that kids at 3 would be outside unattended, but more when our boys are 10 and they decide to go outside, we now need to make sure they play elsewhere, or go watch them.

We ended up fencing the entire yard, but this process taught us that there are at a minimum 4 stages to pool ownership for us:

1 - Young kid time -- Watch like hawk, in the pool with them at all times, family time
2 - Older kid time -- Friends in the pool, "leave us alone", "look what I can do" dangerous time, watch like hawk
3 - college kid time -- Yea.. you know the drill
4 - Wife and Husband time -- Ahhh the spa feels nice.

So getting a design that can maximize the use through all those years was important to us and to not build in features or design things for 3-4 years of time. We will definitely add to our paradise over the years, but want the pool to be a fixture that was right on day 1.

Haha - no our NE overloads probably do look at it the same way! Great thoughts here:

The building behind the fence is ours - detached garage with a loft. Fence is not pool code (mesh is too wide) but that will be replaced with smaller mesh getting it up to pool code. Great eye!

Your periods are the same way we were thinking about it to. We want a stand alone spa in our oasis, but will probably not add that for a few years as it's not as important during the 'watch them like a hawk' phases.

Any safety tips we need to consider in the pool install? Second main drain? I get really nervous about the not so obvious dangers (drowning is obvious), such as the entanglement or bad wiring electrifying the pool or some oddity that you read about in the news once a year. With young kids, do you cover your pool every time it's not in use with a safety cover? Seems like a lot of work to do that, but I would never forgive myself not doing it should something ever happen. Also - have you gotten any of those bracelets or other safety items that alert you if the kids get in the water? We have alarms already on the house so we know when they go outside, but I want to do everything I possibly can to prevent anything from happening and will spend more money on safety than on the pool if need be!

I'm sure there's a place for safety on TFP but I haven't been able to find it yet. I would have thought there would have been a forum dedicated solely to it but didn't see anything. Can anyone point me to where safety suggestions/ideas are?

We are still building ourselves, so I don't have any tips yet. Our access strategy is not the best, but we did what we could:

Fence - Basement access will be outside the fence, so we could lock this gate, shouldn't be used all to often at this point as our basement isn't finished (future project). This door has a deadbolt and then we'll also be tossing another one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-D...ocphy=9001869&hvtargid=pla-394409786398&psc=1

On the knob, if you haven't seen them they spin on the outside of the knob and require someone with pretty good fine motor skills to put fingers through the holes onto the knob to turn it. We have adults who can't figure this out. Good enough for me on that door.

1st floor doors have those since our now 3 year old figured out how to open door knobs, and lock them (locksmiths are great), at 18 months. We have 1 patio door that has a pull down ADA type handle; however, it also has a lock and will be door alarmed.

Deck has a gate at the top of the stairs with a latch, not locked, but slows them down.

We toyed with doing a portable safety fence around the perimeter of the pool, these are big in other parts of the country where you walk out of your house and are steps (like 4) from the pool.
maxresdefault.jpg

The local installer didn't instill confidence as he said things like, "Doing this in pavers is a lot of work." In my experience, any installer, contractor, etc who says something is a lot of work, is either looking to gouge you or has no interest in the job. So we weighed that option but thought it fell into the, only for a few years category.

I haven't seen the bracelet alarm things but I'll look them up, sounds interesting.

We're in the same boat about wanting to make sure we're safe, but we also want to make sure we don't have too many measures that we rely on when good ol' fashioned attention can due instead. Don't want to get a false sense of security and have something horrific happen.

As far as electrical, I'd say as long as your contractors are getting permits and having them inspected you should be ok. If you are getting your own subs and any say they don't need permits, steer clear. Not to say they may not do it right and well, but passing along "savings" to you of $50-100 isn't worth the risk of them having a bad day and making a mistake on bonding your decking, pool light, etc. Nobody should be ashamed, scared, or fearful of an inspection. If they are, they are not confident in the job. Which should make YOU nervous.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.