New pool build Design help and ideas

Ames

Apr 26, 2020
Houston
Hi everyone,
I finally convinced my husband to build a pool. We are looking at a 24x36 free form pool with retaining wall in the back. Here is the rendering.79F93CEB-EC7C-4BD1-80E1-7CC14B6862C9.jpeg

I was thinking of doing signature matrix in laguna with added black pebble (as I have seen others doing online.) Has anyone done this? Do you have photos or suggestions on how much to add?

I also wanted to do a gray travertine coping but those seem impossible to find. Everything seems to have some yellow in it. Any suggestions? What is the thickness you would recommend? Then a neutral color spray decking surrounding everything else

then I have this pesky wall. Was looking at gray stacked stone

I really want to stick with whites, grays and blues for the colors.
Anyone have any design inspiration and photos and detail to share? I would be eternally grateful!

One last question:
Was there anything in your pool you wish you would have added in the build process (extra design features, umbrella holes, upgraded items, etc.)?

thanks in advance for helping out a lost designer!

Hi and WELCOME to TFP!

I have two threads for you to look over. One is his build thread. It sure was a fun one! The other was him talking about what beads to use!

I would love to see more of your design so I can see what is where in your pool. What depths are you thinking about?

kim:kim:

I would highly recommend you visit some pools to see the finishes. Where I live there’s a pool guy who does tours of his projects on Saturday mornings. It’s helpful because you actually see his work and second, some different styles and finishes. There are some things that are most important to select initially and they are the ones that you know can not be changed easily or cheaply. So the type of plaster, the pool shape the equipment and number of pool lights. One thing that we did right from the beginning was have as much pool deck as we could afford. Now I even wish we had even more deck to fit a big pavilion. If you think you might consider an outdoor kitchen or pavilion try and think where you would add them down the road.
If at all possible visiting a couple of newer pools will really give you some insight and help in you project. I did see a plaster finish, when we were planning our pool renovation, that I loved. It had colored pebbles that looked like smooth glass. I would have gone for it but was way over our budget. But in the beginning you can negotiate a lot of that stuff. Good. Luck.

I would highly recommend you visit some pools to see the finishes. Where I live there’s a pool guy who does tours of his projects on Saturday mornings. It’s helpful because you actually see his work and second, some different styles and finishes. There are some things that are most important to select initially and they are the ones that you know can not be changed easily or cheaply. So the type of plaster, the pool shape the equipment and number of pool lights. One thing that we did right from the beginning was have as much pool deck as we could afford. Now I even wish we had even more deck to fit a big pavilion. If you think you might consider an outdoor kitchen or pavilion try and think where you would add them down the road.
If at all possible visiting a couple of newer pools will really give you some insight and help in you project. I did see a plaster finish, when we were planning our pool renovation, that I loved. It had colored pebbles that looked like smooth glass. I would have gone for it but was way over our budget. But in the beginning you can negotiate a lot of that stuff. Good. Luck.
Thanks so much for your advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.