New pool build: Auto cover + in floor cleaning + ozone = overkill? (design feedback as well)

mummer43

Jul 31, 2016
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hi all, we are very close to digging our pool and our quote includes an auto cover , an in floor cleaning system, and an ozone system. We are doing the auto cover mainly for safety, but also to help keep the pool clean and warm. I am unsure about the ozone and in floor system. Is all of this together overkill or do you feel like it's worth it to spend the extra money on the ozone and the in floor system?

I've edited the post to include our design. It isn't totally final but I feel there isn't much to change. The dimensions are are bit off and it will be 20x40. Critique and feedback welcome.

0.jpg

Last edited:
do you feel like it's worth it to spend the extra money on the ozone and the in floor system?
Nope!

You have been a member long enough to know that we don't think much of ozone systems. They don't reduce FC residuals needed and require the pump to run constantly to do any good. Waste of money.

In-floors are power hogs. Require high flow rates and pressure work properly. Robotic cleaners are much more economical and actually clean the floor. Most of the in-floor owners on this site seem to also own other cleaners which gives you an indication of how well in-floors work. Again, a waste of money.

As for the auto-cover, that is one thing I wish had done. You get heat retention without the hassle of a solar cover.

Great that you are building a pool.
I think you find on this forum that ozone systems are not really effective and you still require to maintain chlorine in the pool
See the article below

There are a lot of mixed reviews on in-floor cleaning systems (IFCS). Some love them and others do not feel they are worth the investment. I suggest that if you do have an in-floor cleaning systems that one of the zones is the standard pool returns and also that you can have control of all zones. Most will state a robot will do just a good a job at a lot less cost. You can search for those that have the IFCS.

You seriously should consider removing the ozone and replace with a salt water chlorine generator (SWCG).
Do you plan on any automation for the pool?

The cover is a great idea and some have said their robot cleaner works even if cover is closed. You would need to verify that with the type of cover you are purchasing.
You may want to post pictures/graphics of your proposed design. Will you have a spa or a heater as well?
Maybe Create Your Signature to show what your proposed setup will be with equipment, plaster. etc.
Good Luck

The ozone system is in addition to a salt water generator.
The ozone system is a waste of money if you have a full SWCG system. Do not understand why a PB would try to sell you both. Save your money and only focus on the SWCG.

Reactions: Casey
Awesome! What brand of autocover? Make sure the autocovers pit has a drain with a debris cover. Your pit will fill up with leaves etc. over time and you don't want the drain to get clogged.

We use are autocover as much as the pool. Its great fun for dogs and kids after a few inches of rainwater have built up. We've camped out on it, had 20 people playing on it etc. If kept closed all the time it does make pool chemical balance a challenge. This is due to the fact the water gets no sunlight unless open. You may find it difficult to find a setting of pump run time and SWCG percent that doesn't over chlorinate the pool. Its much like an indoor pool.

I am one of the anti-IFCS guys... Mostly when it is being pushed by the pool builder... More money for them and more complexity for you and your plumbing.

If you really want one, then make absolutely sure that the plumbing will allow you to shut the IFCS off and run like a normal pool if you want.

It is a huge mistake to not have normally operating wall returns which are not connected to the IFCS..

Thanks,

Jim R.

The cover is going to be Coverstar brand. In regards to the in floor cleaning, is it true that these systems can keep the pool warmer by circulating the water more efficiently? If so, is there a way to achieve this without installing an in floor cleaning system?

Last edited:
You can add "deep heat returns" if you want to move water from the deep end and circulate the water a bit more - not sure if it will change the heating effeciancy - we have them as it was something our pool builder does as a standard setup - with our cover, and the deep heat returns on, the top 1ft or so of the water is still much hotter when we open up the pool, so I am not sure if they are really doing anything...

I would skip infloor - especially with a cover - the cover will keep your pool much cleaner, which defeats any of the "benefits" that infloor cleaning might gain you - keep the pool simple. Covers are expensive enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the replies. I guess the issue I'm having is when I look at the entire quote. It's a big number and I'm wondering where I can make some cuts. In fairness to the pool builder I don't feel like he's pushing these things on me, I had asked him about them at one time or another and he added them so I can get a total picture and make the decision myself. When you add up the auto cover, raised hot tub, signature matrix, full automation, it gets a little overwhelming. Cutting the ozone and in floor system would save us a pretty good amount.

I would definitely cut ozone and in floor. I suggest you go look at some high end standalone hotbtubs. He won't be able to build one anywhere near to the comfort of one of those. Plus, they are replaceable, where as what you are considering is not really.

Reactions: RJRempel
Ditch the cleaning system and go with a robot from Marina Pool and Spa. Go with a 100% SWG and get rid of the ozone. What kind of deck are you looking at?

I know when I designed my pool, I told my builder I wanted a plain jane set up. I chose not to fully automate my system. I went with an IC40 SWG, jandy equipment and a heat pump with brushed concrete. That kept me under 70k. My builder included a robot but I purchased separately and saved over half by doing so.

Reactions: HermanTX
I would definitely cut ozone and in floor. I suggest you go look at some high end standalone hotbtubs. He won't be able to build one anywhere near to the comfort of one of those. Plus, they are replaceable, where as what you are considering is not really.
I hear what you are saying on the hot tub. In the end what we are doing is just an expensive water feature. I'm not sure a stand alone would get used much outside of when we use the pool and this is what we have decided on and are ok with it. Any input on the size of the sun shelf? It's showing 4 feet wide on the drawing.

Ditch the cleaning system and go with a robot from Marina Pool and Spa. Go with a 100% SWG and get rid of the ozone. What kind of deck are you looking at?

I know when I designed my pool, I told my builder I wanted a plain jane set up. I chose not to fully automate my system. I went with an IC40 SWG, jandy equipment and a heat pump with brushed concrete. That kept me under 70k. My builder included a robot but I purchased separately and saved over half by doing so.

We already have techo blu 60 in some areas so we are going to continue that around the pool with some other techo accents mixed in. The grade may require a small wall or two so that will all be worked into the hardscaping. Also doing a grilling area with a built in grill, a green egg and storage and stuff. We will use the stone to match our house on that and the hot tub.

The builder includes a robot so we will likely just go with that.

In regards to the in floor cleaning, is it true that these systems can keep the pool warmer by circulating the water more efficiently? If so, is there a way to achieve this without installing an in floor cleaning system?
We just heated our pool a few weekends ago for our first swim of the year. 90% of the water was 86 degrees, but there was some water in the deep end that was noticeably colder that I found when swimming underwater near the drain. Once I swam through it once, I tried to get the kids to swim through it too and I had mixed it all together.
Moral of the story, sure an in-floor cleaning system may mix the deep water a bit better, but that water is only a cannonball or a good swim away from being mixed in, and certainly not worth any extra $.

You can add "deep heat returns" if you want to move water from the deep end and circulate the water a bit more
Here's a thought !!! If the holes in the shell are no longer a concern while putting in deep returns......... wait !!!........ hear me out. *main drains*

One could:

circulate the colder water
sweep alot of crud out when need be
Easily lower below the skimmers to winterize in PA
Ensure the pump won't run dry ever with skimmer failure

Ours, 18' by 4' was used a bunch by little kids, still used by the dogs. For adults it is not much use. If you wanted chairs to lie in on it you might want it larger. Might also consider a umbrella holder in the middle somewhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.