Edgefield SC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Please take a look and get me on track. After taking second test I'm not sure first was accurate.
14x33 salt water pool with well water. Salt generator set at 50%. Pump runs 8am-6pm. Did not feel good about pool company testing and results. Water looks pretty clear. First test showed
PH 8.0
TA 80
FC 0
CYA 0
Salt 3600 ( system said 3100)
Added 4lbs Stabilizer, 1lb shock
Set salt generator from 20% to 50% running 24 hours

Posting the second test using the 2006 salt kit.
FC 6.6
CC 1.0
PH 7.2
TA 60
CH 290
CYA 90
SALT 3000 ( system says 3200)
Pool not getting much use, but have been getting enough rain that had to take level down twice in last couple weeks.
What are my next steps?

Welcome to TFP.
What is the time between the 2 tests above? Also, it was unclear - did you do both tests? Did you add any chemicals between tests other than the SWCG producing FC?
My concern is that CYA went from 0 to 90, TA 80 to 60 both are big changes that usually take days (or more) to occur.
With a CYA of 90, you do not want it to go higher. Also, you want to keep FC level above 6ppm
I would increase FC slightly by adding liquid chlorine to get to 8ppm and then hold it at that level. If you retest and find your CYA is lower then refer to the chart below. If you drain water as you stated, then CYA, CH & Salt would normally decline somewhat dependent on how much water was drained.
Also see the chart for your recommended levels for FG pool using a SWCG.
IMG_0541.pngIMG_0540.png

I did both tests. They were 4 days apart. As stated above, I added 4lbs. stabilizer and 1lb shock. After getting the second samples I am questioning the first samples. I have two gallons of chlorine in anticipation if needing to add. I have read the TFP info and looked at both charts you have attached. Approximately how much chlorine do I need to add to raise the FC up 2 ppm? Or do I just need to add 1/2 gallon and retest the next day?

I did both tests. They were 4 days apart. As stated above, I added 4lbs. stabilizer and 1lb shock. After getting the second samples I am questioning the first samples. I have two gallons of chlorine in anticipation if needing to add. I have read the TFP info and looked at both charts you have attached. Approximately how much chlorine do I need to add to raise the FC up 2 ppm? Or do I just need to add 1/2 gallon and retest the next day?
A half gallon of 10% LC will raise FC by 3.6ppm for 13,800 gals. So that is fine if you raise more than 2ppm.

The 4lbs of stabilizer would raise CYA by 35ppm - your first test was 0 and the second test was 90 - so I would retest your CYA to confirm. the stabilizer will also decrease TA and pH.

Thanks for the help. I put in 1/2 gallon of 10% and will test again on Sunday. Pool looks good. 86 degrees water temp today, but we are getting a thunderstorm as I type this.

Tested today and my numbers looked like this
FC -8.0
CC - .4
PH - 8.0
TA - 60
CYA - 60
I added 12oz. of 31.45% muriatic acid according to the pool math app. I also cut my salt generator back to 40% from 50%. Letting it run all night tonight because of adding the acid to lower PH, but then back to 8am-6pm each day.

Am I going in the right direction?

Reactions: HermanTX
Those numbers look great! An FC of 8 is great for CYA of 60.

You can lower your pH to 7.8 and monitor rise. With a TA of 60, I would not lower pH any more than to 7.8 at any point. You can typically retest pH 30 minutes after the muriatic acid addition.

I wouldn't do anything more at this point...except keep testing.