Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi everyone. This is my first post.

We're 14 weeks into our construction project that includes a fiberglass pool and spa. Our landscapers will be done with the hardscaping in about a week. Our pool company got our mechanicals up and running yesterday. Prior to starting up the pumps, they used a trash vac to clean out 95% of the junk that was in the pool.

Our pool company will be scheduling 'pool school' for us in about a week. In the meantime, he put 4lbs of 'chlorinating granuals' (label says 99% Sodium Dichloro-s-triazinetrione Dihydrate) in the pool and 1/2lb of the same stuff in the spa. For the past 5 weeks, he had a floating chlorinator in the pool since it started turning a bit brown and stunk. For the past 4 weeks the water has been pretty clear.

The pool and spa are now filtering. The SWG on the pool hasn't been turned on. There are some chlorine tablets the spa chlorinator, but I don't know what it's set to or how to read the settings yet.

I have the following questions:
  1. Our pool guy told me we should be good for a week chemical wise, between now and 'pool school'. Should I be doing anything between now and then?
  2. I'm assuming 'pool school' includes showing us how to test our water, monitor/set the SWG, etc.
    Should I just let him get the pool up and running in his normal manner?
    Or, should I start using the TFP method straight away?
    Is there anything I shouldn't let him add to the pool?
I ordered the TPF-100 test kit today, including a PH meter, which should also arrive in a week. I've been reading all the Pool Water ABCs and other great content on this site.
I also ordered a cleaning robot today which will arrive in about a week.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from all of you. Thank you for such a great site.

Jason

IMG_2935.jpgIMG_2932.jpgIMG_2933.jpg

The dichlor added about 30 ppm FC and 30 ppm CYA. The trichlor has been adding CYA also. So be ready to test that level when you get your test kit.
Why is there a tablet chlorinator and a SWCG? I thought only Texas pool builders did that. How odd.

You should have your kit by Wednesday or so. If not, start adding 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine to the pool on that day.

When the pool builder does 'pool school', if they talk water chemistry, it will not likely mesh up with TFPC. Best to just listen and nod.

We can help you with mechanicals, etc.

When you get your test kit, run a full set of tests and input them into Poolmath. Then post here and let us know if you have any questions.

The dichlor added about 30 ppm FC and 30 ppm CYA. The trichlor has been adding CYA also. So be ready to test that level when you get your test kit.
Why is there a tablet chlorinator and a SWCG? I thought only Texas pool builders did that. How odd.

You should have your kit by Wednesday or so. If not, start adding 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine to the pool on that day.

When the pool builder does 'pool school', if they talk water chemistry, it will not likely mesh up with TFPC. Best to just listen and nod.

We can help you with mechanicals, etc.

When you get your test kit, run a full set of tests and input them into Poolmath. Then post here and let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for the information.

If I don’t have the test kit by Wednesday... how do I calculate 3ppm of FC without any test values? I guess I could get the water tested at the pool store.

Oh, maybe I was unclear in my original post. Our pool has a SWG. The hot tub has a tablet chlorinator. My pool guy said only a single SWG could be hooked up to the Hayward Omnilogic.

Thanks again.

You are running separate water bodies for the pool and spa?

Add 1/2 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine to add 3 ppm FC to your pool volume.

Thank you for the information.

If I don’t have the test kit by Wednesday... how do I calculate 3ppm of FC without any test values? I guess I could get the water tested at the pool store.

Oh, maybe I was unclear in my original post. Our pool has a SWG. The hot tub has a tablet chlorinator. My pool guy said only a single SWG could be hooked up to the Hayward Omnilogic.

Thanks again.

I think I figured out how to calculate 3ppm of FC using Pool Math. No need to know my current level. If I plug in, as an example, 0ppm current... and 3ppm as the target, Pool Math will calculate a recommendation for me.
A couple more questions. Dichlor is the ‘chlorinating granuals’ the pool guy added? Trichlor are the tablets in my spa chlorinator?

If trichlor has CYA... and those are going to be used to chlorinate my spa... that seems like my CYA will go through the roof.... which according to my infantile knowledge of pool water chemistry seems bad.

Are there chlorinating tablets that don’t add CYA? Or, is the TFP method of treating spa water the same as a pool? Just use bleach and ditch the tablet chlorinator?

Thanks again.

You are running separate water bodies for the pool and spa?

Add 1/2 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine to add 3 ppm FC to your pool volume.
Yes, they are separate bodies of water with completely separate mechanicals with the exception of the Omnilogic controller. I should add that to my signature.

Dichlor is half CYA and half Chlorine. Trichlor is about 1/3 CYA and 2/3 Chlorine. The spa will have to be chlorinated with liquid chlorine only very soon. Daily. I would never have built this system this way. It will be very maintenance intensive.

The do make tablets from Cal Hypo, but then the CH builds up.

Your other option will be to drain the spa every few weeks or so keep the CYA in check.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.