New Pool- Almost done - question on securing concrete decking around pool to pool beam?

Scott 5454

Mar 23, 2022
Hawaii
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I am almost complete building my pool. I am getting ready to pour the concrete patios (Decking) around the pool. One concrete guy said I should drill into the pool beam 2.5 inches max depth and do some stub outs of rebar to keep the surrounding concrete decking from raising or lower right next to the coping. Then I look at diagrams on the internet of proper pool construction and I can't see any information if its a "No No" or not. I'm thinking it probably is, but concerned that the concrete could slightly move over time leaving a problem edge. I know I need an expansion joint around the pool. But the contractor said he would still put the expansion joint.. just a hole though it for the rebar. Also if you notice in the picture I have a poured coping which is 3.5 inches and about 2 inches of exposure on the pool beam. SO not sure how to secure in or do I secure at all. Going to pour decking this weekend. Thank you in advance for any help!

Attachments

• 20220323_084502.jpg
    20220323_084502.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220323_084540.jpg
    20220323_084540.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 63
What was my experience on my build, and from reading some here, it's typical for the gunite rebar framing to have longer pieces extended every so many feet when forming that are then bent over into deck area after gunite. It ties the pool rebar bonding to deck rebar for bonding but not so much for any movement of deck prevention.

Reactions: Scott 5454
The decking should not be tied the the pool or pool coping. The decking will expand/contract more the the pool/coping. You will have 1/2” -3/4” separation between them. In the gap you will install a backer rod and self leveling sealant.
Search on TFP for coping deck details.

This is a gunite pool, which is different than a liner pool. The rebar in the gunite pool shell is bent over and tied into the decking. That said, the decking itself is not connected to the pool gunite. As pointed out above there is normally a line of sealant about 3/4" to 1" wide between the decking and the coping.

Thanks

Jim R.

You need to have a properly designed expansion joint between the coping and the deck.

The pool shell and the deck need to be able to move independently and not tied together. Otherwise the deck movement can put pressure on the bond beam and crack the bond beam and pop tiles off.

Poured_in_Place_Coping.png

Wow, Excellent Thank you everyone.
What was my experience on my build, and from reading some here, it's typical for the gunite rebar framing to have longer pieces extended every so many feet when forming that are then bent over into deck area after gunite. It ties the pool rebar bonding to deck rebar for bonding but not so much for any movement of deck prevention.
Thank you Toxophilite. Much appreciated!

Scott,

Did you run a bonding wire from the rebar in the gunite to the equipment?

How do you intend to bond the decking?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim, Yes I did run the bond wire from the rebar to the equipment. Not sure about the decking. I talked more with the Concrete guy today and were using the wire mesh instead of rebar. So it won't be tied to the pool... I'm thinking I only have to tie it if its rebar? Does that sound right. Can't think of any type of securing or bonding for mesh? Thanks, Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need to have a properly designed expansion joint between the coping and the deck.

The pool shell and the deck need to be able to move independently and not tied together. Otherwise the deck movement can put pressure on the bond beam and crack the bond beam and pop tiles off.

Poured_in_Place_Coping.png
Hi Allen, Thanks for the detail and the diagram. I Feel good now : ) Much Appreciated!

Wire mesh located within 3 feet of the waters edge will need to be tied to the pool rebar with a #8 copper bare wire at 4 locations using listed underground connectors. Typically a #8 bare copper wire is run around the pool from 18-24" of the waters edge and 4-6" deep. This copper loop is tied to the rebar at 4 points minimum, this wire may already be in place. The copper loop will also need to be tied at 4 locations minimum to the reinforcement in the concrete pool deck. Overlaps of the wire mesh are tied together to insure connectivity through the wire mesh. The wire is also runs to the equipment pad where it is tied to the all electrical equipment as required by code. The pool panel and light transformers are not tied to this wire. This bonding has to be inspected before pouring the slab.

Extremely important the contractor compacts the subgrade under the deck with a plate compactor.
The wire mesh will need to be pulled up to the center of the concrete. If the wire is not pulled up and it rest on the ground it will rust into and break the connectivity.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.