New pool - advice for pump settings and SWCG

May 31, 2017
Melbourne, FL
We just had our pool finished and the pool builder gave us a pretty thorough crash course last Friday. The only things I'm still uncertain about are how often/what speed/when to run the filter pump and what settings the SWCG needs to be at. The PB just told us that we need to check the chlorine and adjust the SWCG up/down until we get it where we want it.

We have a 15,500 gallon 16x35 Trilogy fiberglass pool (Gravity model) with a raised fiberglass spillover spa. The SWCG is a Hayward T-Cell-15.

My main confusion is what is the best way to run the filter pump. We have an Ecostar SP3400VSP for our main filter pump with 6 returns to the pool, two returns to a raised spa with spillover, and 3 bubblers on the built in tanning ledge. We have no idea what the best way to run things is. Right now we're running the pump 24hrs/day with the spillover on with the pump at 67%; we crank it up when using the bubblers. We have an Hayward Omnilogic control panel, but we haven't set up any schedules or anything.

Yesterday, our salt level is around 3600 (we need to add some water today as we've had some hot weather this week leading to evaporative loss), FC was 13 (we keep cranking the SWCG down - currently at 20% - it was through the roof when the builder left us with it set at 50%), CYA is 70, and our pH stays pretty stable around 7.5 (it creeps up a little with bubblers and spillover). We're using the TF100 kit for our testing.

Any advice on how to run things? I'm sure there are a ton of way to do so. We live in the Memphis, TN area and are having heat indices in the 110s this week, so the pool temp has been climbing to mid 90s. We've managed to keep it cooler with bubblers running at night, and we're thinking about getting a cooling fountain so the pool feels a little more comfortable. Right now the pool is at 91F (almost noon here).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replying to follow, as your pool is somewhat similar (minus the spa and specific detail). Ours is currently still being built, but hoping to pick up some good tips for when we open in the coming few weeks. Congrats on your new pool!

Great job on having a TF100 at start up!!

The T-15 can create 1.4 lbs of Chlorine gas per day. You will need about 4 ppm FC in your pool each day (may be a little lower or higher) so that is 8 oz of chlorine gas per day. That equates to running your SWCG at 100% for 8.5 hours per day.

So - I would run those 8.5 hours during the time the sun is shining on your pool. But you can run it anytime it is good for you. I always test my FC each day in the morning just before my SWCG starts. That should be the lowest the FC is during the 24 hour period.

You can also reduce the pump speed to that needed so the flow switch is closed on your SWCG and it is generating chlorine.

So there is some data -- take a look and see how you would like to do things.

Great job on having a TF100 at start up!!

The T-15 can create 1.4 lbs of Chlorine gas per day. You will need about 4 ppm FC in your pool each day (may be a little lower or higher) so that is 8 oz of chlorine gas per day. That equates to running your SWCG at 100% for 8.5 hours per day.

So - I would run those 8.5 hours during the time the sun is shining on your pool. But you can run it anytime it is good for you. I always test my FC each day in the morning just before my SWCG starts. That should be the lowest the FC is during the 24 hour period.

You can also reduce the pump speed to that needed so the flow switch is closed on your SWCG and it is generating chlorine.

So there is some data -- take a look and see how you would like to do things.

So, is it better to run at 100% for the 8hrs or at a smaller percentage over 24hrs?

Should I run my pump on a low setting 24/7 or just on a schedule with higher settings? What does everyone else do?

LD,

For owners with a single speed pump, it makes sense to run your pump as little as possible to reduce electrical costs... This means running at 100% for the least amount of time necessary to generate the needed amount of chlorine...

For owners with variable speed pumps, it is more a matter of personal choice, as operating costs are minimal... I personally like the idea of running 24/7 with my SWCG set to the lowest output that still gives me the amount of chlorine I need. I think that it provides the most stable FC level.. Others still like to run the shortest time possible... it is up to the individual...

It does not matter to the SWCG... You use the same amount of cell life, no matter how you run. A cell running at 100% for 1 hour, uses the same amount of cell life, as a cell running at 10% for 10 hours..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.