New pool--1st time adjustments needed--help!

Poolmama!

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Feb 20, 2019
Celina, Tx
1) New plaster, still bleach for 2 more weeks until salt is added. Just took over from pool company's 'start up'.
2) Current results using TF-100:
FC 6
CC 0
PH 7.2
TA 50
CH 100
CYA 50 (40-50...rounded up to 50)
Water temp 81, but will be much higher later as our heat index today is over 100 degrees I think.
CSI -1.19....but IDK...Pool Math isn't saving my inputs? I keep trying to chang CYA from 20-50, but it still shows as 20? FC is 6, but it's showing as 7?

Pool Math recommending:
1) 23 oz bleach - no problem
2) 42 oz baking soda
3) 42 'pounds'! of calcium chloride--

Best places to get that much baking soda and calcium chloride? What order to add them? 42 pounds...how to add that much?? Help!

Yes, I'm getting slightly under -1.00 for a CSI as well which is much too low. For an immediate fix, use baking soda to increase your TA to about 80 and let your pH rise up to about 7.7 - 7.8. That should help considerably until you can get come calcium. When you go to add, I would do it in stages. If you elect to pre-mix in a bucket, keep in mind it can get a little warm. Maybe some other DFW members can help you with a good source. More info on the TFP Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool page as well.

Good job using your TF-100. :goodjob:

Yes, I'm getting slightly under -1.00 for a CSI as well which is much too low. For an immediate fix, use baking soda to increase your TA to about 80 and let your pH rise up to about 7.7 - 7.8. That should help considerably until you can get come calcium. When you go to add, I would do it in stages. If you elect to pre-mix in a bucket, keep in mind it can get a little warm. Maybe some other DFW members can help you with a good source. More info on the TFP Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool page as well.

Good job using your TF-100. :goodjob:

My pH hasn't budged since we filled it...even running the waterfall from 8-5 every day. I was expecting it to rise with new plaster, but it hasn't at all. Should I do something to force it up a bit? Will raising alkalinity help? Thanks SO MUCH for your reply

Increasing the TA should help. It is odd that it's not rising though. No chlorine tabs/pucks right? Those are acidic and can slow the pH rise. Other than that, increasing the TA should help it creep up a bit. If that still doesn't work after a day or two, then there are TFP-recommended items to help increase pH at that link above.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.