New plumbing finally done for salt water setup.

Sep 15, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
It's been a lot of work redoing the retaining wall around the pool. Still have a final grading to do along with grass seed and fencing. We will be doing pavers next year after the budget rebounds. I have had the Circupool RJ-60 and Variable speed pump sitting in the basement waiting to be installed. We decided to switch over from single speed for the energy efficiency along with the change over to SWG. Made all of the plumbing connections yesterday and was able to run the pump for about 15 minutes between rinsing the fresh sand in the filter and circulating it on filter for a little bit.

I couldn't stand the old plumbing that was there from the previous homeowner. He had the white plastic ball valves with the red handles. They were so hard to turn and last year ended up snapping one and getting a pretty good chunk of skin missing from my hand. I went with two 3 way valves to eliminate the third valve he had. I mounted the breaker box, motor control and the SWG control module inside the pool house to keep it out of the weather. Still need to run the wires from the flow switch and the salt cell but should have that done tonight. We are gong to get the salt dumped in the pool tonight and let the filter run for two days. I also need to add some bleach to get the chlorine level up a little.

I was going to attach a pic of the retaining wall but it gave me an error that I was out of space. The top pic is the new plumbing and the bottom pic is the best I have of the old plumbing.

Attachments

• IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20170929_170453.jpg
    IMG_20170929_170453.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 50
George,

Looks good... :goodjob:

You will love your saltwater pool...!!!

Just make sure you understand how much chlorine your cell can produce, and then set your output percentage and pump run time to generate the amount your pool uses each day...

Thanks for the pics,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim.

Looking forward to using the SWG. Going to pull the cover back a little bit tonight and do some water testing. I know I need to bring the chlorine up some but I want to see where the ph levels are now along with CYA. Then test the current salt level and dump what we should need after the test and run the pump for the next two days. I am sure it will take some time to figure everything out. I would like to be able to run the pump from 8am to 4 to 6 pm at half speed and see how it does. I know some people are running 24/7 at 1200 to 1400 rpm. I guess I might tinker with different settings and see what works best for us.

George,

Your RJ60 should add 12 ppm of FC to your pool when running at 100% output for 24 hours... Running 8 hours at 100% output will produce an increase of 4 ppm.

Keep in mind that your pool will use 2 to 4 ppm of FC per day.. And.. running the pump faster will not generate any more chlorine.. the cell is either on or off, nothing in between..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim.

I have a feeling I will end up running the pump 24/7 and run the salt cell at a lower percentage. We were averaging 3ppm FC per day last year when I was doing it manually. I ended up taking the cover off the pool last night and ran the cleaner for a cycle to get the majority of the heavier dirt that settled on the bottom out of the pool. Tested the water for salt and came up with about 400ppm. Added 16 bags of salt and let the pump run at 2600 rpm continuously. Checked this morning and to my surprise it looked like the majority of the salt was already dissolved. Tested the salt again and if I did it right it's close to 3600ppm already. I am going to test it again when I get home with more daylight. Also need to test everything else too and make sure it is inline before I fire up the SWG. Also need to check the water temp. It might not be over 60* yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.