New Plaster w/Aggregate - Help on start up Please

Kdblev

May 2, 2018
Mount Pleasant, TX
Reposting here as I'm not sure I posted in the right forum the first time:

Due to a family issue with our pool company, we got stuck with no help on the start up after fresh plaster w/aggregate was just done. I've gone through the pool school and other tutorials but I'm confused on where we're at and what I should be doing. Here's what's going on.

Brushing multiple times a day - lots of plaster dust
Filter running 24/7
TA was at 60, pH at like 10 when first tested immediately as filling
Added some muriatic acid, now pH at 8, TA 30, Calcium Hardness 50 - numbers seem odd but tested twice a few hours apart
Added 32 oz sequestering agent as that's all the pool company told me, but even that seems off as the bottle said I should add at least twice that
Water is only slightly green with dust but otherwise clear

I'm at a loss on what to add to adjust TA or Hardness or just pH?

I'd appreciate any help. Thank you!

Read ...

How many days since water was added to the pool?

Double check your TA and if below 60 then raise TA to 70 using Baking Soda.

Double check CH and if below 200 then raise CH to 200 ppm.

Use PoolMath to calculate quantities.

What is the pH, TA, CH of the fill water used in the pool?

Last edited:
Thank you for the help!

Water was added starting late Friday last week so almost 7 days. Took until Sunday to fill I believe (was out of town). Added muriatic acid on Sunday because we were told to, but they hadn't tested water. Added sequestrant on Monday. Working on raising TA and CH today and of course lots of brushing. Current numbers are:

TA 60
CH 120
pH 8.4
CYA 0
FC 0

Fill water is:
pH 8.2
TA 40
CH 40

Follow this guide for first 28 days then transition to TFP guidelines.

Add 30 ppm of stabilizer.

Add 2-3 ppm of chlorine and test and maintain daily.

Test pH often and lower as necessary. Keep your CSI between 0 to +0.5 for the first 30 days. So don’t lower your pH too low into the 7s. Use PoolMath to monitor CSI.

For the first 28 days:

- no salt added
- no heater run
- no wheeled cleaners in pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.