Silver Supporter
Apr 1, 2021
Kansas City, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Pool was filled last Tuesday, 5/11. Builder has a sub-contractor managing the start up chemicals and brushing once a day (I brush a 2nd time). I got my TF-100 today and here are my 1st results.

Free Chlorine: 1.0
Combined Chlorine: 1.5
pH: 7.5
Total Alkalinity: 150
Calcium Hardness: 550
CYA: 55
Temperature: 66°F
CSI: 0.25

I know they are keeping the chlorine levels relatively low on purpose, they are using Diclor tablets. They keep adding acid to lower the PH, gallon or two a day starting out now closer to 1/3 a gallon a day.

What are my take aways?
*No more Diclor tablets, CYA is already high enough.
*Should I be worried about the Total Alkalinity being so high? I tested this 3 times to make sure I got it right since it seemed so high.
*Anything else I'm not seeing?

Thanks so much, this is my 1st pool!

Get the Trichlor tablets out. Your CYA is all ready quite high for a non-SWCG pool.

TA will come down over time by keeping the pH in the 7's.

The CH is high. What is the CH and TA of your fill water?

Great that you have water and did your first test. BTW, did you do any measurements of actual pool volume while filling it? It always help to get a more precise volume if you can when using Pool Math app.
Your TA will come down with all the MA being added. So just continue to test daily.
You really do not want your CYA to go much higher. BTW, when we test CYA you round up to the highest decade so this is really a CYA of 60 (you cannot interpolate properly between the lines). This is an an ideal CYA for using Liquid Chlorine. I would remove the pucks and tell them to use only LC to add chlorine to the pool
You do need to watch your CH. You are on the upper range which indicates your fill water may be high in calcium. You may wish to test your fill water so you know for sure.
Also, I would be brushing 3-4 times during the day - the more you mix it up the better for the filter to capture the dust and for it not to settle on the new plaster.

@mknauss they added Calcium while they were filling the pool, mixed in a big barrel.
*TA I’m not sure I’ll check it.
*I’ll pull the tablet out and go liquid

@HermanTX builder and my measurements were both 20,000
*great to know on the TA
*I’ll pull the tablet out and go liquid

*Will calcium go down over time assuming the fill water wasn’t high in it?
*Do I need to raise the FC level since the CYA is high, or do I leave it low since it is a new pool?

thanks so much, you guys are awesome!

*Will calcium go down over time assuming the fill water wasn’t high in it?
No. The only way to reduce CH is to remove the high CH water and replace with lower CH water.
*Do I need to raise the FC level since the CYA is high, or do I leave it low since it is a new pool?
The FC should be at target range for your CYA. See FC/CYA Levels

So this is interesting, my tf100 is reading exactly double the company who is doing startup (Taylor kit) for calcium. Any ideas on how to figure out who is right?
I’m doing - 10 ml pool water, 10 drops r-0010, 3 drops r-0011L, r-0012 until the color stays blue x 25

So this is interesting, my tf100 is reading exactly double the company who is doing startup (Taylor kit) for calcium. Any ideas on how to figure out who is right?
I’m doing - 10 ml pool water, 10 drops r-0010, 3 drops r-0011L, r-0012 until the color stays blue x 25
Your process is correct. I would always trust your own testing. Did you watch how he did his testing? I have seen some very quick testing by pool service techs and not really sure they are taking the proper steps. Are your reagents within 1 year of purchase? Just want to verify that you are not using really old reagents. Is either of you using a speed stirrer? If not, ensure you are swirling after each addition. I would rinse the sample tube before using. Also, I would ensure you hold the bottle vertical when putting in the drops. You need to stop adding R-0012 when the solution turns blue. It should be like a baby blue. Have you reviewed the video's
YouTube for Testing Chemicals
https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100testkit?feature=results_main

Looking better already. My TA was high because some of the startup companies reagents were old and they were raising it while I was trying to lower it. =/ Now that I've stopped them from doing that we are looking better, they are done next week and I'll be ready to take over.

CYA I was shaking for 30 seconds rather then letting it sit, makes a big difference!

Free Chlorine: 3.0
Combined Chlorine: 0.5
pH: 7.8
Total Alkalinity: 100
Calcium Hardness: 350
CYA: 40
Temperature: 67°F
CSI: 0.24

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.