New plaster application problem? I would like your opinion..

Feb 19, 2017
Phoenixville, PA
New NPT Quartz- Midnight Blue applied 4/20/17. Since it was applied large streaks have been developing and now look to be browning (lightly). Plaster company to come out in a few days to look. What do you think? Water has been balanced almost perfectly and the surface was brushedonce a day for 30 days. Salt applied May 28.

20170605_155757 (800x450).jpg

Yes, mine is the same. It's the beauty of the quartz plaster, it creates a washed out denim look and it will change over time. I can't find a picture on my phone that shows mine, but it looks just like yours and my old pool was the same color and had the same river-like patterns. My neighbor has the same color and it is also the same way. I work from home so I brushed about 20 times a day while curing to prevent this, but I believe it's from the way the trowel it on and the top layer gets the cream worked up into it and when it dries it comes out like that. Luckily my plaster guys have a very nice pattern that makes it look like a natural flowing river. I'll post a picture later when I get a shadow and can take a decent photo.

This one is my favorite, if you look close you can see the grim reaper.
f6cb4489b09ead70295eb54c2255a83c.jpg

That's exactly why most installers won't install the dark quartz and plaster finishes around here.

I had a pool that I tried midnight quartz in 2 times and chipped it out after both times. It's a pebble pool now... At no charge. Expensive mistake for me.

The streaks look like runoff from a poor acid wash?

The circular streaks were either (or combination) of late troweling and excess water in the mix or added to plaster that was already set up.

I suspect you are correct, toweling and acid wash. I love the look though, to me it gives it a more natural stoney type of look. I also have a lot of crazing that most people wouldn't like, but I purposely let my plaster dust settle in my crazing to make it stand out more. To me it just another custom finish. If I wanted a smooth solid color then I would just paint it, but who wants that?
f97636457801b6928dbb21efbdc5c7b0.jpg

Sorry to see you dealing with this.

You can also see the drip streaks from the returns. They most likely didn't plug them with sponges and water dropped slowly during fill. I would be frustrated if I were you, but it does come with the territory with a dye based Quartz finish. Mottling is one thing tho, the very clear trowel marks are another issue. Good luck with the finish company. Perhaps you wind up with a lighter colored Quartz refinish or pebble like Brian's customer ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.