Jul 7, 2018
Waco, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,
I just had my pool resurfaced with Noble's Designer Series aggregate (Marina Cay). The guy who did the job (the boss) recommended that I put 4 gallons of muriatic acid in right away, and brush it very well, 2+ times a day. I was planning to brush, and I was planning to generally follow the guidelines here: Startup Guide for a New Plaster Pool Finish | NPTpool.com
My question is about the amount of acid he recommended. Should I really dump 4 gallons of acid in there? Will that help bring out the beauty of the finish and help eliminate plaster dust? He added two bottles of sequestering agent as it filled. I don't remember the details on that as far as the brand, but I think that was definitely the right move. But what about the amount of acid.? This is for a 17000 gallon pool.
Thanks!

He is directing you to do an acid startup. Read...

Start-up Chemistry for Plaster Pools The effects of four different chemical startup procedures were studied.
  • the “Acid” startup – where enough acid was added to lower the pH to 4.5 and alkalinity to zero - about 3 gals. of acid per 10,000 gallons of water
  • the “pH-Neutral” startup – which equates to about one gallon of acid is added to about 10,000 gallons of water
  • the “Traditional” startup - where the water is maintained with CSI balanced water; near zero or (0.0) CSI
  • the "Bicarb" start-up - where the tap water is pre-treated with sodium bicarbonate to raise the TA to 300 ppm and the CSI is about +0.6 to +1.0

He is directing you to do an acid startup. Read...

Start-up Chemistry for Plaster Pools The effects of four different chemical startup procedures were studied.
  • the “Acid” startup – where enough acid was added to lower the pH to 4.5 and alkalinity to zero - about 3 gals. of acid per 10,000 gallons of water
  • the “pH-Neutral” startup – which equates to about one gallon of acid is added to about 10,000 gallons of water
  • the “Traditional” startup - where the water is maintained with CSI balanced water; near zero or (0.0) CSI
  • the "Bicarb" start-up - where the tap water is pre-treated with sodium bicarbonate to raise the TA to 300 ppm and the CSI is about +0.6 to +1.0

Yep, that makes sense, and I should have known - I read that thread before the job started, but it was a couple weeks ago. I have put in the 4 gallons of acid and brushed. I am now running my pump continuously, and will continue with the brushing regimen 2x a day.
Here's another question, though. I brushed before I put the acid in this morning. I brushed after I put the acid in. I haven't seen a lick of plaster dust in the water. The water is clear, the plaster looks great, and there are no puffs of dust at all when I brush. Is that unusual? It strikes me as a good thing, a good sign.
Can I go ahead and start balancing out the Ph with the TA? The plaster application was finished yesterday about 3pm, it has been fully filled for about 6 hours.

Yup, you might as well begin neutralizing it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.