Jul 6, 2015
Charter Oak, California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Howdy all!!
I'm back and up and running with Balanced water after installing a new liner. Time to get back to work....
Does this drawing work for the install of my new Pentair Pump & Cartridge Filter? (See Signature). Do I need 2" Plumbing to supply service to the pool or will 1-1/2" work for the entire run?. There's about a 25' - 30' run from the pool to equipment pad. Equipment pad and pool pad are at the same height. How about the valve set up? Too much, Not enough?? Digging starts Saturday.....Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• Plumbing.jpg
    Plumbing.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 21
Bob,

What are the 2 way valves for?

I find that when I take my pump lid off, all the water in the filter drains out.. I plan on adding a valve between the pump and filter to prevent that problem.

I would plumb the pad with 2" plumbing, but it really does not matter as you should be running most of the time at very low RPM.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The two way valves are simply shut off valves to isolate the pump and filter...probably not necessary, but I like the idea of a valve between the pump and the filter.
So, you think 1-1/2 inch from the pump and filter, upsize to 2 inch supply and 2 inch return underground, then 1-1/2 inch at the pool supply and return??

thanks, Bob

Bob,

I have two rent house pools.. Both pool have 1.5" plumbing under ground.. One has 2" at the pad, and the other a mixture of 2" and 1.5" at the pad.. Both have 3 HP IntelliFlo pumps and I can't tell any difference in their operation.. On the one that has all 2" plumbing it is because the pump, the SWCG, the Multi-port valve, all had 2" fitting, so it just made sense.

Just do whatever works best for you..

Instead of adding the 2-way valve, I would just use the 3-way valve when you want to isolate the pipe..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jimrahbe: Looking again at my diagram, would it be better not to split the return side plumbing even though I split the suction side? I read earlier today in a plumbing thread that there should be more suction lines that return lines, especially if all the plumbing is the same size...What say you???

Attachments

• Plumbing.jpg
    Plumbing.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 9
Bob,

Most pools that I see do not run individually controlled lines to each return.. What I see most is one pipe going to all the pool returns and other pipes going to water features, and such. I'm told the best set up is to run a loop around the pool and then tap off the loop for each return. This is supposed to balance the pressure at each return.

Let's see what @JamesW has to say..

Thanks,

Jim R.

What is the pool size?

What pump will you have?

I would probably use a 2" line for the skimmer and a 2" line for the main drain with each run all the way to the equipment pad and connected with a 3 way valve going into the pump.

I would use 2 separate 1.5" return lines split with a 3 way valve at the pad.

This gives you maximum control and efficiency.

Probably oversized but 1.5" and 2" pipe are cheap and a good investment.

Also nice if you ever have an issue with one line, you can just close it off and continue operating.

JamesW:

POOL-12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8400 Gal

CARTRIDGE FILTER/PUMP-Pentair 2HP/2SP Pump & 150sqft Cartridge Filter PNCC0150OP2160

More like the attached image??

Attachments

• PLUMBING_2.JPG
    PLUMBING_2.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 10

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That should work ok. For the return, you can come out of the filter with 2", through a 2-way valve, 2" to near the pool, then T into two separate 1.5" lines.

Either way should work. I always like to over design. The cost is about the same either way.

The 2 hp is really oversized. I would go with a variable speed pump if it's not too late.

JamesW:
Thank you. I remembered having this plumbing / pump filter duscussion a couple years ago with pooldv and mas985. I found the thread this morning When I made the original purchase, I was informed that the Pentair pumps are rated on the high side when it comes to HP. This 2HP pump is more like a 1HP pump because of the way they calculated the HP..

it is a little oversized, I had actually purchased the Filter/pump combo for a 16 x 32 that never materialized. My plans and my wife’s plans ran in opposite directions..We’ve been married 42 years and I’ve learned to choose which hill I’m willing to die on....LOL

Thanks again

Ok. At least it's two speed.

You should be able to use low speed exclusively .

I wouldn't ever use high speed unless there's a specific reason such as to provide enough flow to a solar or gas heater.

If you are going to use a return side pressure cleaner, you will need the ability to control the returns.

So, you would go with the last diagram that you posted.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.