New Pentair 011056 IntelliFlo VSF w/ Easy Touch Tie In Only Working when set up as VS (I want to use it as VF)

AJFrank

Jan 30, 2020
Vancouver, WA
6 weeks ago, I had professionally installed a new Pentair 011056 IntelliFlo VSF to replace an old Hayward Superpump. The new unit ties into an existing EasyTouch 8/4. Prior to installation, I confirmed with both my local pool company (who did the install) and Pentair (published on their website in specs) that this unit would work with my existing EasyTouch. The pump has been installed and works fine when configured as a VS pump in the EasyTouch. When switching the configuration to be a VF, the unit allows the configuration to be entered (pool size, desired # of turns, etc) but it never turns on. We have tried with both schedules and without. The installer got back to me with a text that read "Pentair said it cannot be set up as a VF with your system". I have tried to get in touch for further information but have not been successful. I submitted the question directly to Pentair on their website but they have also not responded. I primarily want to use the pump as a VF. If I only wanted to use VS mode, I would have purchased a cheaper VS only pump. I have scoured the internet and have found information on how to configure which confirms the configuration is correct but no troubleshooting information on why this isn't working. I would love to hear any ideas that anybody has. I think worst case scenario that I can put the EasyTouch in service mode and then just run the pump in VF mode from its stand alone control panel. This does, however, prohibit the use of the heater and lights which are controlled by the Easy Touch and maybe the chlorine generator (not sure if this would run by default just having the pump on and power to the SCG). Thank you.

Frank,

I suspect that you have a very old EasyTouch..

If you go to Menu, Setting and IntelliFlo, Pump #1, what options do you see for type of pump? You should have VS, VF, and VSF.

Is the pump set up as VS or VF or if you have it, VSF???

I am not sure why the concern.. We have never recommend the VF pump when it was a single choice of either a VS or VF pump.

What is it that you need the VF for that is so important?

The idea to use the EasyTouch in the Service mode just makes no sense at all to me. :scratch:

What Firmware does your system have? Menu, Diagnostics, F/W revision..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Frank,

I suspect that you have a very old EasyTouch..

If you go to Menu, Setting and IntelliFlo, Pump #1, what options do you see for type of pump? You should have VS, VF, and VSF.

Is the pump set up as VS or VF or if you have it, VSF???

I am not sure why the concern.. We have never recommend the VF pump when it was a single choice of either a VS or VF pump.

What is it that you need the VF for that is so important?

The idea to use the EasyTouch in the Service mode just makes no sense at all to me. :scratch:

What Firmware does your system have? Menu, Diagnostics, F/W revision..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you for replying. There are only two type options - VS and VF. It is currently running successfully as VS. When changed to VF, it never comes on even when the Filter information (pool size / turns) is set. There is no VSF option.

The software indicates UIC: Not Avail and UOC 2.080

If VF will never work, how would you configure it? Currently it is running 24x7 at RPM of 1500 which is where the pool guy set it. I don't think this will be enough for when the pool is being used. I thought I wanted VF so I could set the number of turns I wanted and the system would be the most energy efficient to meet that goal. For the old Hayward super pump, I set schedules to run the # of hours per day necessary to get the turns I wanted which was more in the summer.

Frank,

The good news is that the idea that your pool water has to be "turned over" x times a day is just a myth... Chemicals keep your pool water clear and sanitized, not how much water is pumped through the filter..

The advantage of having a large VS pump is that you can run it slow and save a ton of money on your electrical bill.

I suggest that you run your pump at whatever RPM your SWCG's flow switch needs to close, plus 100 RPM... For me this is about 1200 RPM..

You really only need to run the pump long enough to generate the amount of chlorine your pool needs. An IC40 should make about 6 ppm of Free Chlorine (FC) in 24 hours when running at 100%. So if your pool uses 2 ppm per day of FC, you would need to run your pump for 8 hours at 100% or 16 hours at 50% etc... Obviously, I'm talking about in the summer when the SWCG is working.

I can run my IntelliFlo 24/7 at mostly 1200 RPM for less than $20 bucks a month.

It appears you have an autocover.. If so your FC usage with the cover closed could be quite low..

Your EasyTouch is not near as old as I thought.. Personally I would just use your new pump set to VS and enjoy the very low electrical costs.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: AJFrank
I have a vsf and is setup as vsf but only use speed/rpms in my ET programming. Only time i use flow is for backwash and rinse due to using an alternate filter media.

Hey guys,
The Easytouch firmware added support for the new "VSF+SVRS Intelliflo Pump" in 2.090... which explains why AJFrank doesn't see it (he's on 2.080)

The release notes also says support for the "New Intelliflo 2 VSF Pump" was added in 2.150... but I don't know what an Intelliflo 2 is?? (maybe an internal Pentair designation?)

Reactions: AJFrank
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.