New owners, one of us gets a rash every time

The original product we used was a powdered product called Bioguard Armour Sanitiser and Oxidser - Active constituents 530g/kg avaiable chlorine present as Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate and 150g/kg Sodium Bromide.
Good idea mixing some up in a bucket to test.

Yeah, that's a isocyanurate (which is dry -- chlorine bonded on cyanuric acid, otherwise known as "dichlor"). That is actually interesting because in the states the bromine tabs are usually "Halogenated hydantoins" with both chlorine and bromine in the mix, but with no CYA in the potion.

These tabs usually need a packet of sodium bromide as a "Starter" and recommend Sodium Monopersulfate (MPS) to "activate" the bromine. I don't think (and someone can correct me if I am wrong) that MPS can be made a time release, so the chlorine actually oxidizes ("Activates") the bromine into hypobromous acid.

But it is entirely possible that if you are allergic to the stuff, that maybe it's the dichlor as well. Unlikely but possible. It's odd that it's different there. Now I am getting out of my realm of knowledge of the stuff. It's possible for example to do Bromine sanitation with only Sodium Bromide and bleach as the oxidizer.. and that isn't too far off of that that stuff is...

I would seriously consider doing some tests for allergies before deciding which sanitizer you will end up using... it certainly couldn't hurt...

I still think there is biofilm trapped in the plumbing though. It's the most reasonable explanation.

Folliculitis is a strange phenomenon. Some people get it easily and others are not affected. Personally, and this is NOT a scientific assay on the issue, I think that there are more issues with Bromine tubs versus Chlorine tubs. Skin type can also play a significant role in who gets it and who doesn’t. What we do know is that periodic cleaning of plumbing and jets of bio-contaminants will definitely help alleviate the problem. Regarding cleaning the filters, we recommend tossing them into the hot tub while the purge is being conducted. The pleats will be deep cleaned much better than any filter cleaner can do. Here is the easy method to enjoying your hot tub.
Get a reliable test kit, NOT the dip strips. The TFP test kit is a wonderful and reliable buddy for your total enjoyment in a well maintained hot tub. Use an EPA Registered sanitizer. Forget about the many internet recommendations that use no chlorine or bromine. If you want Total Maintenance ease, purge periodically, test often, and keep sanitizer residuals in check. That’s it. END of story!

Get the test kit at this website This is a not for profit operation. You will get the best kit for less cost.
I can get this test kit in my country, would it be ok? It can measure Total and free chlorine

Not the best. Will measure TC to 5 ppm and will not measure CYA.

Can you order things from Australia? Clear Choice Labs has a kit similar to the TF100.
Yea looks like I can from that website. With regards to the CYA, seeing as I will be going to bleach, couldnt I just use test strips for the cya so it reading 30 or 40ppm, and then carry on with bleach and forget about CYA? Or not?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lzygirl1978 asked a very good question. Why are some people getting this rash from the hot tub and others are not? It is a fact that more women get this than men. One reason may be that generally women wear a one piece bathing suit that has more area for the bacteria to harbor. Typically, where the bathing suit touches or covers your skin is where the predominance of the rash is located. Not in all cases, but in more rather than less. I am not a doctor but we speak with many hot tub owners regarding this problem. In many cases, soap and showers are NOT used after enjoying the soaking experience. This is a big mistake for tubs laden with the Pseudomonas Aeruginosa bacterium. Are more bathing suit users getting the rash versus non suit users? Are the users who use a vigorous soap and shower routine after exiting the tub affected as much as non showering users? Interesting question and I am only stating what we have seen over the years. This may be a fluke, but it does seem to have some validity when you ask the right questions. I could be totally wrong on this but this is my feeling on this enormous issue. The good news is that it is not a major health issue. It will disappear on it’s own within 7:days.
However, it is itchy and frustrating for the person who has it.

Yea its definitely annoying waking up at 1.00am with an uncontrollable itch over most of your body, and then the next two days with sore skin from scratching. Im looking forward to receiving our Ahhsome in the post, as well as the test kit from Clear Choice Labs mentioned earlier by mknauss, so we can start again properly.
The rash is definetly worse where my shorts were, but I did end up getting some more on my forearms the next day. I think the hardest thing is the fact that no one else has a problem who has used the tub, only me, which is why we always thought it would be bacteria - but the more I think about it I am guessing it is.
I have an old water meter here at work, so I am going to attach it to the drain of the tub and measure how much water it actually holds as we are only guessing at the moment, so I can start testing accurately, really looking forward to using the Pool Math app as well, it looks like a great tool!

You might be able to figure out the capacity by searching for the model on the internet as well. In my tub's case, there is a placard on it near the base at the front of the unit. It does say the volume on mine... So you can look for it and maybe you will get lucky.

I am glad you are getting a good test kit, but I should mention that you probably don't need CYA measurements on a tub if you aren't adding Dichor or Trichlor after the initial calculated fill. Assuming you know what the fill volume is. If you are using only bleach daily then there is no need to measure CYA after the initial fill.

I do intend on running my filter while doing the purge before the drain with the ahh-some.. But I still think it would be overkill to use weekly...

Yea, understand the CYA concept. The pool I think is quite old, and cant find any info online for the brand or anything. I have an old water meter sitting here at work so thought I may as well get a reading from it since Im going to drain anyway.

With the Ahhsome, is it suggested to use it and drain, then refill and drain again? I havent seen the instructions or the product yet. Just thinking how long it takes to fill. Definetly going to be a weekend job.

If you have a really messy innards, the you fill it to the point you can run the pumps (you might be able cheat a little with a "Shop Vac" hose in the bottom of the skimmer to the inlet of the pump to save some water. Don't let the pump suck air, though.)

And... You do it over and over until you have it come out clean. That may be several times, but after that is done, then only run it once before you change the water and you should be good.

OK thanks, we have a second auxillery pump that runs the feet jets and about a dozen small non adjustable jets that are as high as the bottom of the pillows, so will have to completely fill the tub.

The spa will be hot for the first ahhsome treatment, but we wont be heating it for any further drains. Hopefully that will be ok.

We have also picked up some liquid pool chlorine for when we switch to bleach. It is 13% so I guess we wont be using as much of it. All the cheap bleaches at the stores are 2 - 4% and all seem to have scents or soaps added here.

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
The Ahhsome product is absolutely unbelievable. It is amazing. Manufacturers and many dealers, not all, never mention biofilm. However, this can be found in All hot tubs no,matter how meticulous your water chemistry is monitored. If you purge twice a year, maintain adequate EPA Registered sanitizer at all times, you are on the road to maximum enjoyment without the worry of getting hot tub Folliculitis.

Reactions: ryadre
It is amazing how many hot tub dealers still don’t get it. They stick with products that do little to rid their tubs of these massive biofilm formations. I guess they are making more profit from them. Don’t get snookered. Ask for the Ahh-Some brand when you enter a store. If they don't Stock it, go to Trouble Free Pool. They stock the product and it is fresh.

Reactions: ryadre

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.