Southeast, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Last week I bought a new home with a 28000 gallon concrete pool. I’ve never owned a pool and the previous owner had a company service it once a week. I subscribed to the pool math app after spending too much at a pool chain last week. I bought a brand new test kit. Here are my test results from today.

My questions: am I on the right path?

How often should I add chlorine (shock) and how much? I’m hoping to use liquid bleach.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 371D1777-5444-4E4E-A1D9-1891DE9D8C72.jpeg
    371D1777-5444-4E4E-A1D9-1891DE9D8C72.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 13
C,

Close, but no cigar... :mrgreen: ...

Your target FC should be between 6 and 8 ppm.. the very absolute minimum is 4 ppm and I see you are at 3.4... See this chart ...FC/CYA Levels

You should not let your FC get anywhere close to the minimum.. Just pretend the pool will explode if you get below the minimum FC.. It won't of course, but it is a good thought to have.

You should always try to keep your FC at the target or above.

Your pool will use 2 to 4 ppm of FC each day.. Your job is to add whatever chlorine is lost each day..

Thanks,

Jim R.

You can use the 10ml sample for FC/CC testing. Then each drop is .5ppm which is plenty precise for your purposes. It will save reagents.

The liquid shock that you're using is fine for normal chlorination, it's the same as bleach from the grocery store but it's probably 10% or 12% rather than 6%. You can calculate which is cheaper, the shock liquid or bleach you can buy at the store, but it's probably close to the same cost wise. You just have to use more 6% bleach than you do with the LC shock.

Many of us just add bleach/chlorine at night to Target for CYA level (or 1-2ppm above if you wish to be super safe), and unless there are extra circumstances (many swimmers, extra leaves, etc.) don't worry about it till the next night, then rinse and repeat. This will allow your pool to never fall below minimum. It's not super complicated this way, in fact it's downright easy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.