Southeastern NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Hey guys. I’m a fairly new pool owner with a roughly 30-year-old, fiberglass inground pool that I sort of inherited. I was initially pool illiterate, but I’m slowly moving in the right direction.

The fiberglass definitely shows its age. There’s a lot of stains, some small cracks on the outer lip, and the apparently somewhat common bubbling that you see on the walls. I was able to get the pool cleaned up fairly well and I added a Hayward AquaRite 900 SWG.

I’m still learning and working on getting everything balanced, so please bear with me. A lot of things are out of whack. TA is WAY HIGH…like 270 high. CH is almost non-existent at 30. I think I understand what I need to do to get these heading in the right direction, but I need help identifying something…

There’s a lot of milky white (some dingy) crusty “stuff” on the fiberglass in a lot of places. Looks like scaling. It scrapes off fairly easily with just light to medium pressure from a finger nail. I’m posting some pictures. Question is…what is it?

Initially when I saw it, I thought calcium scaling, but then I thought that seems unlikely since the CH is crazy low and calcium scaling is usually hard to remove or so I have been told.

So, what is it?

Attachments

• IMG_4745.jpeg
    IMG_4745.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4739.jpeg
    IMG_4739.jpeg
    321.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4740.jpeg
    IMG_4740.jpeg
    381.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4741.jpeg
    IMG_4741.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to the forum!
Get a bit of it and put a drop of muriatic acid on it.
Could it be coming from the SWCG? Even with low CH, the high TA could be creating some scale.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool
Thank you for the reply. What am I looking for in regards to placing a drop of muriatic on it? I’m fairly sure it was there before I added the SWG. I have no way of knowing how long the TA has been crazy high. My guess is that it’s been that way for a long time. So maybe that has caused the scale buildup over time?

Is muriatic acid the best way to start reducing the TA? I imagine it will take a long time and a lot of muriatic to get the TA in check.

What am I looking for in regards to placing a drop of muriatic on it?
If the substance is indeed calcium based, it will fizz/bubble.

If you post a full set of test results, we may be able to assist you further. Also test your fill water. That may give us a hint as to where your high ta is coming from.