New Owner...pH less than 6.2

bugalcaps

Jul 17, 2019
Alabama
I’m taking over a pool after purchasing a new home. Unfortunately, it appears that the pool was largely neglected by the widow prior to sale. The water is crystal clear, but my pH (and various other levels) are low.

I was thinking to get started, I needed to get the pH where it needed to be and kinda take one thing at a time. If I calculate out for my pool (18x36, 29,000 gallons) I come up with adding approximately 80 pounds of soda ash to at least get the pH where it will register. Before I go and dump 80 pounds of something into it, I wanted to get everyone else’s thoughts. Is there a more effective/cost efficient way to raise it? Do I need to be tackling from another angle?

Last water tests are:
TH: 250
TC: 5
FC: 5
pH: 6.2 (or less)
TA: 40
S: 0

She was using unstabilized chlorine in the feeder as a point of reference on the stabilizer. I picked up new tablets today that have stabilizer and think I need to hold off addressing that until I see what effect they have on the chemistry.

Hopefully I’ve provided enough information that someone might have an a-ha moment. Thanks so much! I’ve got a lot to learn about pools ?

Welcome to the forum!
How did you get those test results? What test provided a pH of 6.2?

Do not use soda ash. It will raise your TA a lot. Use Borax. In Poolmath, enter 6.8 for pH and target 7.5. You need to input the current TA. Then add the amount of borax it states. Circulate the pool for 30 minutes and test pH. Repeat until your pH is in the 7's. Then test TA.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

I used a Taylor test kit that was left behind and then I also used 3 different brands of strips (just to confirm before I did anything hasty). I’m actually not sure what it is. I wasn’t even close on the lowest color ?

I would suggest getting a new test kit. Especially if you do not know the history of the one you have.
See Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 Test Kit ™

Never guess on pH. I would suggest getting a cheap two way drop kit at Walmart or Home Depot to test pH before adding any chemicals.

I struggled bringing my pH up (pool inherited, already opened on house we bought last summer). The problem was that a) I was using test strips b) I was using trichlor pucks (very acidic) c) my CYA was high.

The experts here (I ain't one!) will help you get everything back in line.This year I have followed TFP protocols (starting with getting a REAL test kit) and my pool is gorgeous, water perfect and crystal clear. MKNAUSS and the others here KNOW their stuff. Follow their advice and your pool will be way better for it.

My new test kit is on the way...thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction! I've got my TA up to a respectable level, but my pH is around 6.4 and needs to come up. I'm hesitant to dump anything else in right now, so I thought about raising the pH by aeration. I don't have any water features or anything. I do, however, have a Little Giant APCP-1700 pump that i believe is fully submersible. If i just send the discharge back into the pool with something on the end of the hose to aerate (from above the water's surface) would that create enough churn and action to do any good?

If you're sure about the pH, use some baking soda or borax to increase it some.

You want to be careful not to overtreat based on inaccurate information.

Once you get the good test kit, we can formulate a better plan.

I suspect that the cyanuric acid is probably high and causing the slow pH recovery.

The pH should be out of the danger zone. So, don't be super worried about it.

What is the current TA?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.