New owner, just opened pool. Help!

This has been quite a journey huh? The slow draining has been exhausting I'm sure. But you're not quite out of the woods yet. The extended time it took to drain and refill has allowed algae to start. Even at that, your CYA is still pushing 90 which, while much better than what you had before, is still higher than what we normally recommend. So lets recap your options from here:
1 - Do another partial drain (50% or so) to get your CYA down to about 40-50 making a SLAM and pool management easier down the road
2 - Prepare to adjust chemicals at your current CYA of 90 and prepare to SLAM at that level. If you decide this option, you will first need to adjust pH to 7.2, then increase FC to 35 and maintain that FC level of 3 until the water clears and you pass all 3 SLAM criteria (SLAM link below).

Either choice will work, it's just a matter of using a bit more bleach. Even if you didn't replace 50% of the water, and only had time for about 20-30% replacement, getting the CYA down to about 50-70% helps. I'm sure you're anxious to get things going this year, so I just want you to understand all your choices. We'll help guide you whatever you chose. :)

Thanks Texas.

I do plan on getting the CYA lower still, and will probably do another drain on Friday, and work on the other levels and filtering until then.

For the slam... If my CC is less than .5, and I pass the OCLT, do I still need to SLAM? Or by virtue of having any green in the pool a reason alone to do it?

I added one more gallon of bleach before the sun went down. I tested around 10pm, FC is up to 13.5, CC is at 0. I will test again first thing in the morning and report the OCLT results. I will also pick up 2 boxes of borax to bring the pH up where it needs to be.

Okay, this mornings test for OCLT,

FC: 13.5
CC: .5, I'm sure it would have been less had I used the larger water sample. It just barely had a pink tinge to it.

The water is a cloudy green when the pump is on. When off, it all settles to the bottom and the water is clear.

So I'm confused. If my chlorine is staying put, that means nothing is eating it, right? Does this mean that it's my pump/filter that isn't working well to clear the water? Or am I overthinking this, and just need to do the slam?

Share a pic or two of you equipment pad and we can help you with isolating the filter.

I got my DE from Lowes. It comes in a big box but does not weigh much. IF you know anyone with a pool them might have some. It does not take much. I can't even tell I have even used any of mine after all of this time LOL

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Easy one!!!! See that red knob? Turn it until it is shut. That will stop the flow of water from the pool.

I see unions. They are for you to disconnect the equipment without cutting the pipes. They might be a little tight. Use slow steady turning should do it.

Look up you filter manual to see how to get the top off. I am mobile right now so can't look it up to tell you sorry :(

Easy one!!!! See that red knob? Turn it until it is shut. That will stop the flow of water from the pool.

I see unions. They are for you to disconnect the equipment without cutting the pipes. They might be a little tight. Use slow steady turning should do it.

Look up you filter manual to see how to get the top off. I am mobile right now so can't look it up to tell you sorry :(

Turn the red knob? Easy enough! But...what's a union?

Keep it up. I made a believer out of my parent's, in-laws, and a friend of mine. Once you prove it works to the husband, he'll see the value of these guys here. Reading this thread from start to finish you have a learned a whole lot in a week :)

FC: 11.5
CC: 0
pH: 7.2
TA: 110
CYA: 120

Now I'm confused! How did I get a CYA of 90 a few days ago, and now it's over 100?! The only thing I've added to the pool since the last CYA reading is bleach. Yesterday they kids played in the pool for hours, and I didn't add anything. That is why the FC is lower. Does that explain the pH rising? I didn't add anything. And is it a problem that my TA keeps going up?

FC: 11.5
CC: 0
pH: 7.2
TA: 110
CYA: 120

Now I'm confused! How did I get a CYA of 90 a few days ago, and now it's over 100?! The only thing I've added to the pool since the last CYA reading is bleach. Yesterday they kids played in the pool for hours, and I didn't add anything. That is why the FC is lower. Does that explain the pH rising? I didn't add anything. And is it a problem that my TA keeps going up?

On another note....

My husband wasn't happy that I did a backwash. He said that the pool store people told him that a sand filter needs to be dirty in order to work. The dirtier it is, the better. That it could ruin things if you if you did a backwash if the pressure was less than 10 above what it normally runs. Any truth to this?

-backwashing a sand filter will NOT hurt anything done at any time you want. He is right in that a "dirty" sand filter does work better BUT yours is already "dirty" in that it is not brand new sand. We do suggest you wait to backwash until your pressure has gone up 20% over your clean pressure (the pressure right after the backwash). shhhhhhhh but I can't stand the idea of leaving "stuff" in my sand filter. I do a back wash after I vacuum is the floor was really dirty. That is just me though.

CYA-do you have an pucks sitting in the tube? ANY chance someone *husband* put some "shock" in the pool?

PH-yeah the kids playing will push the PH up. A HEAVY rain will also.

TA-this and PH go hand in hand. It will take some experimenting for find what YOUR pool likes as far is TA and PH. Keep a good log of your levels and see at what level does your PH like it's TA. With the kids your PH will move up some but on the most part it should stay pretty close to "normal" for your pool once you find the TA it likes.

Every time your husband says pool store give him a kiss to hush him up! LOL nod your head and keep doing what YOU know is working.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.