New owner in Florida

Niteowl

Gold Supporter
Jun 5, 2020
Pinellas Park, Florida
I am going to jump in here with both feet, pun intended. I had been looking at one of those digital monitors (pHin, WaterGuru) until reading the posts on here. I am going to try to do this on my own. I have a cheap test kit that I bought at PAP. Do you all recommend a better one to get started? The one that I have says its a 5 way test kits, allows me to test for Chlorine, Bromine, pH, Acid, and Alkalinity. I am starting to watch teh "Pool School" now to see what my daily and weekly routines should be. Any recommendations to get me started? I am also downloading the "PoolMath" app now.

Welcome to the forum!
It would be best to get a proper test kit. You can use parts of the one you have for spot checks, but overall the best value if you are 'jumping in with both feet' is to get a TF100 from TFTestkits.net. Order a SpeedStir or SmartStir with it. You will be glad you did.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Welcome to the forum!
It would be best to get a proper test kit. You can use parts of the one you have for spot checks, but overall the best value if you are 'jumping in with both feet' is to get a TF100 from TFTestkits.net. Order a SpeedStir or SmartStir with it. You will be glad you did.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Thank you, I will look into that test kit now. I am going to pull the trigger on the TF-100 bundle, as I don't have a wall brush either. Not sure what the skimmer angel is, but I am sure its useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: mknauss
I had my pool installed late last year. I have always had problems deciding how yellow or red it really was when doing the basic chlorine/ph test. I got the WaterGuru about 3 weeks ago. I use the TF-100 once every week or two. I have compared the test from the WaterGuru to the TF-100 and they are normally pretty close to each other. I would not use it as my only test but once a day it sends me my PH, FC, flow, and water temp. If i see something I don't like I'll test it using the TF-100. It has helped me keep my PH and Chlorine more constant.