Upstate of SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Just moved in about 2 weeks ago. The previous owners had a pool service they paid $35 a week to maintain the pool (crazy). Pool looks great especially compared the the neighbors green pool.
there is still a chunk of “chlorine” in the skimmer but it is almost gone.The FC has been pretty high I think. It was at 14 when I checked it over the weekend so with the simple test it has been reading above 5 each night. We have had a lot of rain and wind so have been cleaning the filter a bunch and want to do a back flush this weekend so I know it has been done recently.
I plan to switch to the bleach method but curious on how you maintain that when you are away from home. I am currently away a few nights a week?
The previous owners or service person had the single stage pump set to run from 6pm until 11am every night. I think this may be extreme but am afraid to cut it back. It appears there is a freeze safety device on the timer so I guess I shouldn’t worry to much. Any advise would be great here.
We are currently all chlorine but want to add a SWG. After the storm I was thinking we should get a robot first but the wife wants the SWG first (she isn’t the one cleaning it).
It appears I need to replace the pressure gauge as well.
Any idea what this is? It is located near the diving board on the opposite side of the pool from the pump
B9359BCC-B300-4AB5-A2BB-B3B282651F58.jpeg

Attachments

• 6203CA65-DFA2-47A9-8F3B-91D1A6C53BC0.jpeg
    6203CA65-DFA2-47A9-8F3B-91D1A6C53BC0.jpeg
    403.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 5AC45E48-79F2-4672-B374-FE0E31A3E211.jpeg
    5AC45E48-79F2-4672-B374-FE0E31A3E211.jpeg
    432.2 KB · Views: 81
  • AC728F2F-83C3-44CD-AE80-A04AEBFE09EE.jpeg
    AC728F2F-83C3-44CD-AE80-A04AEBFE09EE.jpeg
    405.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 814F7212-7EE3-41A9-BC9B-B2A61CE4B70B.jpeg
    814F7212-7EE3-41A9-BC9B-B2A61CE4B70B.jpeg
    533.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 4F08A353-B144-4705-BA1F-D70CE1BB64EB.jpeg
    4F08A353-B144-4705-BA1F-D70CE1BB64EB.jpeg
    492.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 6CC541A2-8B15-4CCE-9C1A-D7C81A11B308.jpeg
    6CC541A2-8B15-4CCE-9C1A-D7C81A11B308.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 8B96FDEB-7D66-483F-AD8F-D79958FB7BFF.jpeg
    8B96FDEB-7D66-483F-AD8F-D79958FB7BFF.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 107

Welcome to TFP...

The little black box, on the two pipes, is a junction box for your pool light. The wires from the light are connected to power inside the box. The reason the box has to be above ground is because the pipe from the pool is often flooded and the box has to be high enough to prevent pool water from getting inside.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The valve right in front of your pump has two inputs... Most likely one will be the Skimmer and other one will be the main drain. (It could also be two skimmers or Skimmer and vacuum.) If Skimmer and main drain as I suspect, then I suggest that you run the valve turned so that the main drain is only opened about 10% and the skimmer is 100% opened. This will make the skimmer operation more effective.

Robot or unhappy wife??? I foresee a SWCG in your near feature. :mrgreen: Just make sure the cell is at least 2 X the volume of your pool. So for a 20K gallon pool your cell needs to be 40K.. This is because the cell is rated when running at 100% output, 24/7..

Also keep in mind that Robots operate off of low voltage electrical power.. Don't confuse them with pool cleaners that run off water power and have to be connected to your plumbing.. I am a great fan of Robots..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Trk3263
You guys are great. I was wondering about a switch for the lights closer to the pool. Do I just need to open it up and figure out the switch or Tara mentioned a remote? Any thoughts or ideas how I figure out the remote needed.

texas I am currently in Columbia it is supposed to be 78 today and they aren’t getting the rains that Greenville is getting so you might be good to go.

Jim great to know about the gauge I was just going to grab one at a big box store. Will look at that link tonight.

Thank you everyone for the quick replies. If anyone has info or can point me to a link about adding bleach. Looking for maybe a timeline over a weeks time or months time. I have read the pool school and it talks about using pool math and following what to add but what will this look like. Once the chlorine tablet dissolves will I be testing every day and adding a couple ounces of bleach each day or will the bleach last a few day? Sorry if this is so basic but I am away from home a bunch this month so want to make it simple.
mother question is running the pump. It seems the current schedule is overkill but the pool looks great and I don’t want to mess it up.

I can’t tell if my signature is working so here is my info

20K gal, IG vinyl, 1 HP single speed Hayward pump model C48K2N143B1 or SP1607Z1M, Hayward Pro Series high rate sand filter, TF-100 Test Kit, hope to add SWG and want to buy a cleaning robot

Thank you,
Tom

Reactions: Texas Splash

Most pools use about 2 to 4 ppm of chlorine each day in the middle of the summer.. Not so much this time of year.

But... to increase your chlorine level by 3 ppm, you will have to add about 90 ounces of liquid chlorine each day. I suggest that before summer that you convert over to a SWCG, which will just make the chlorine for you. It will not care if you are out of town or not.. :mrgreen:

SWCG's do not operate when the water temp is below about 55 degrees, so in the winter most of us just shut off the SWCG and use liquid chlorine. Since pools use a lot less chlorine in the winter this is not much of an issue..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Most pools use about 2 to 4 ppm of chlorine each day in the middle of the summer.. Not so much this time of year.

But... to increase your chlorine level by 3 ppm, you will have to add about 90 ounces of liquid chlorine each day. I suggest that before summer that you convert over to a SWCG, which will just make the chlorine for you. It will not care if you are out of town or not.. :mrgreen:

SWCG's do not operate when the water temp is below about 55 degrees, so in the winter most of us just shut off the SWCG and use liquid chlorine. Since pools use a lot less chlorine in the winter this is not much of an issue..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim, do you recommend removing the SWCG and putting in a test pipe during the winter to help save the cell? I am looking at the RJ45+ Circupool Electronic Salt Chlorine Generator RJ45+ Amazon.com : Circupool Electronic Salt Chlorine Generator RJ45+ : Garden & Outdoor do I need to worry about any compatibility problems?
Back to the LC if going away do I just add extra if I am going to be away for a few days or should I buy some chlorine pucks for being away. If so any certain type of chlorine pucks that don’t have all the extra stuff in it.

Tom,

I see no reason to remove the cell in a warm place like SC.. I doubt that you will be closing your pool.

There is no real difference in the chlorine you add manually in the winter and the chlorine that the salt cell generates.. So no compatibility issues.

Every form of solid chlorine has to have something to hold it together, so all chlorine tablets add things to your pool that you do not want. This does not mean you can't use tablets, it just means that you have to monitor the chemicals and make sure you know what your various levels are..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You will eventually learn your chlorine demands. In the summer my FC would drop about 1 to 2 ppm per day when I had the solar cover on it. When I was going to be out of town for a few days I would usually bring FC up to or just under slam. I would always be fine on FC by the time I got back. I was never gone for more than a week though. If I were I would have had a neighbor or friend drop some in for me.

Update....

i found thison the pool wall I thought maybe I was missing a jet but looking and feeling it with the pump running I don’t think it is a jet. It has threads on the inside and with the valves set similar to above I don’t feel any water pushing out like the other jets.
704D89DB-99B9-44A6-B58C-9ADB9CDC2445.jpeg
I now have a RJ 45+ to install. Put half the amount of salt needed this past weekend and will test the salt again this weekend. Not sure how soon I will get the SWCG installed but trying to determine where it will fit best. There is not a lot of clearance and hoping not to have to repipe much.
19FE3056-AECA-4707-A172-116C37AE8258.jpeg

Update....

i found thison the pool wall I thought maybe I was missing a jet but looking and feeling it with the pump running I don’t think it is a jet. It has threads on the inside and with the valves set similar to above I don’t feel any water pushing out like the other jets.
View attachment 128348
I now have a RJ 45+ to install. Put half the amount of salt needed this past weekend and will test the salt again this weekend. Not sure how soon I will get the SWCG installed but trying to determine where it will fit best. There is not a lot of clearance and hoping not to have to repipe much.
View attachment 128349
Is that a suction side cleaner port? Just looks like it's missing one of these:

1583207590622.png

You guys are great. I was wondering about a switch for the lights closer to the pool. Do I just need to open it up and figure out the switch or Tara mentioned a remote? Any thoughts or ideas how I figure out the remote needed.

Where is your current switch? If it's in an outdoor electrical box, you could replace it with a WiFi switch assuming you have a WiFi signal at the box. This would give you voice control with Alexa or Google Home or via a smart device. You would also be able to set on/off schedules. Just a thought...

I like that idea. Any recommendations on WiFi switch’s for this?

Where is your current switch? If it's in an outdoor electrical box, you could replace it with a WiFi switch assuming you have a WiFi signal at the box. This would give you voice control with Alexa or Google Home or via a smart device. You would also be able to set on/off schedules. Just a thought...

Everybody has a personal preference when it comes to Smart Home controls. I really like Kasa TP-Link devices. They've been around awhile, they're readily available on Amazon, and are controlled by a great app. The HS-200 should work for your needs. I have about 12 different TP-Link switches and plugs both inside and outside and have had no problems with them. Once you select a manufacturer, try to stick with it for future purposes. It makes it easier to run all your devices off of one app. I have a couple other apps for different smart home devices that are not nearly as good as Kasa's.

Wi-Fi switches generally require a neutral wire in the box as they require constant power. Make sure you have a neutral wire in the box.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.