New owner/builder build in Miami, Florida

May 2, 2018
Miami, Fl
Hi all!

My wife and I have decided to finally get a pool done! I've researched a lot and decided to forego the pool builder and contract the pool out myself. I have numerous family members that own or have worked for construction companies and they gave me the last little push that I needed to decide on going about it myself. The main reason, obviously, is the money savings that I (hope) to accomplish.

I've secured funding already for the pool and have been working with the engineer for a couple of weeks now. Last night they send me a PDF copy of the final plans they came up with so I'm hoping to have the hard copies in a couple of days and will begin the permitting process as soon as they get in.

I've attached the plans; let me know what you think! I'll be updating this thread constantly with any updates that I can.

Attachments

• Pool.JPG
    Pool.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 246
Welcome to TFP! Sounds great! We hear that many OB's ultimately don't spend much less than they would have if they used a PB, but they do get a more customized pool with more options/technology/deck space, etc.

Feel free to list out your equipment for a review of what you plan to use, along with plumbing design tips. Both are extremely important for the overall efficiency of operation. And one request - take a look at my signature or others, and complete a nice one so it will show on each post. This will greatly benefit those replying to your posts.

I see they have the return lines all plumbed back the pad together (one valve). That's option 3. Option 2 is looped (also one valve but equalized) and Option 1 is Home Run with separate valves. I'd go for home run so you have ultimate control over them.

Reactions: jimmythegreek
I like your design! Looks like something for every one.

I do want to talk to you about your depths. 3' is too shallow to do a crawl stroke without scrapping your knuckles on the floor. 5' is too deep for an average sized female to stand comfortable. (I am 5'5" and 5' of water would be just under my mouth). 5' is also too shallow to do a cannon ball without really hitting your bum on the bottom.

I would go 4' to 6'-deep enough to do a crawl stroke from end to end and deep enough to do a cannon ball.

Kim:kim:

I like your design! Looks like something for every one.

I do want to talk to you about your depths. 3' is too shallow to do a crawl stroke without scrapping your knuckles on the floor. 5' is too deep for an average sized female to stand comfortable. (I am 5'5" and 5' of water would be just under my mouth). 5' is also too shallow to do a cannon ball without really hitting your bum on the bottom.

I would go 4' to 6'-deep enough to do a crawl stroke from end to end and deep enough to do a cannon ball.

Thank you! We went back and forth with this and we decided on the 3-5' due mostly to the fact of how we use my wife's parents pool. Neither of us are swimmers, so that doesn't really matter to us at all. We mostly use the pool to hangout and the deep end doesn't get much use. My wife and I aren't the tallest people in the world so keeping it shallow allows us to get the most use of it.

I have a questions regarding lighting. The engineer that I'm using stated that two Globrites would be enough for the main portion of the pool, but an equipment dealer that I'm speaking to states that they're too small for the area.

What does everyone think?

IMG_1012.JPG

Yesterday was an exciting day! Went down to the permitting office and dropped off all the documents required to get the permitting process started. I was told it was take roughly a week for all the departments to review the plans and either give their approval or ask for revisions.

Last edited:
two Globrites would be enough for the main portion of the pool
What does he mean by "main portion" of the pool?

Went down to the permitting office and dropped off all the documents required to get the permitting process started.
SWEET!! That has to be exciting and scary at the same time. Here is hoping they like what they see and stamp it READY!!

What does he mean by "main portion" of the pool?

SWEET!! That has to be exciting and scary at the same time. Here is hoping they like what they see and stamp it READY!!

The pool is semi broken up by the tanning ledge, and since the bubblers will have lights on them as well, I figured those can help the lighting in the tanning ledge itself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The lighting placement is a compromise for your pool. In the drawing they’ve been placed so when you’re in the house or on the patio, you don’t so see the illuminated bulb, just the light. If you were to move each light to the adjacent wall and have them face each other, the illumination in the pool may be a little more even but you risk seeing the bright light from inside.

The lighting placement is a compromise for your pool. In the drawing they’ve been placed so when you’re in the house or on the patio, you don’t so see the illuminated bulb, just the light. If you were to move each light to the adjacent wall and have them face each other, the illumination in the pool may be a little more even but you risk seeing the bright light from inside.

Yes, the bright light shining in your eyes was a reason why they were placed where they were.

So far we've passed plumbing, electrical, zoning, and structure :whoot:. Building department came back stating that we have to put handholds on the wall where the spa overflows into the pool.

I've looked up handholds (had no idea what they were) and everything that I've seen is horrible looking. Anyone have pictures of a more modern looking solution for a handhold?

If you will have stone on the wall below the spa overflow, I've seen folks use a protruding row of stone just above the waterline tile which acts as a handhold. One person mentioned it stuck out 1 1/2". If you had tile, you could essentially use the coping to continue through that area and serve in the same manner as the handhold.

If you will have stone on the wall below the spa overflow, I've seen folks use a protruding row of stone just above the waterline tile which acts as a handhold. One person mentioned it stuck out 1 1/2". If you had tile, you could essentially use the coping to continue through that area and serve in the same manner as the handhold.

We're going to use glass tile for the wall. Not sure how the coping would work on the wall though.

How it would work is the the coping would just continue around the pool. How it would look is another story.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.