New Owner Build in FL near Orlando

Thursday, we had the footer poured. They mixed two pallets of concrete by hand in a wheel barrel. Quite an impressive feat. The plumber also came back to move the deck jets away from the coping and to redo the valves that would have ended up in the dirt once I graded the equipment area. My wife is now happy with the plumbing. I started finishing the equipment area with pebbles and was interrupted two days in a row with rain and lightning. Maybe next weekend I can finish it up... We also met with another interior finish company and will most likely go with them. The owner came out to give me a quote and left me with two boxes of samples. It is nice, so we have time to put them out in the pool area and wet them down to see how they will look. We are delayed right now with the pavers unfortunately. The supplier has not delivered on time and now we are looking at a 2 week delay. footer.jpgequipment.jpg

Reactions: Belikin and kimkats
And I am back and the pool work is back! LOL. After a 2 week hiatus waiting on the pavers, they finally arrived. We had the paver base put down and they excavated a couple small areas around the house. Of course in one of the areas they chopped the internet line so I was unable to work or put updates out. We had the internet company come out to replace the line because apparently you cannot splice fiber line. We passed the city inspection for the paver base. The paver guys came out to start the pavers on the lanai.paver_delivery.jpglanai_overlay.jpg

The next day, the paver guys came back and started the pavers around the deck. They made it most of the way around, but the wrong size deck drain showed up so we are now waiting on the correct drain before they can finish. Since we are delayed, I decided to install the deck jets myself. Seems like I glued them up good. Pressurized the system and no leaks or loss in pressure! Probably just one more day of work and we will finish the deck and can move on to the screen enclosure.deck.jpgdeck_jets.jpg

Total newbie here. But how does one hire individual crews for building a pool? I live in Tampa and I noticed that there’s a bunch of pool companies that just want you to use their “package” pool equipment. If I suggest any changes they instantly say they don’t do that or over charge you even though you’ll see the exact thing on the internet for thousands less. I did see an aquatic engineer in Bradenton. I would still need a lot of guidance but I’m not afraid of getting different subs in. I just don’t know if I could handle all the risks associated with a build with that much money on the line (but at the same time I hate being over charged).

Total newbie here. But how does one hire individual crews for building a pool? I live in Tampa and I noticed that there’s a bunch of pool companies that just want you to use their “package” pool equipment. If I suggest any changes they instantly say they don’t do that or over charge you even though you’ll see the exact thing on the internet for thousands less. I did see an aquatic engineer in Bradenton. I would still need a lot of guidance but I’m not afraid of getting different subs in. I just don’t know if I could handle all the risks associated with a build with that much money on the line (but at the same time I hate being over charged).
You call around town to the different subs in your area and get your own quotes. You need to get quotes for sod removal, excavation, steel, gunite, plumbing, electrical, decking, etc. You want to have some 2D plans in place to get quotes. Some people will be looking for the engineering to be done so they can give you a proper quote.

Reactions: AudiB

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey @bbqjosh, nice build, what pebbles did you buy for the equipment pad? Looking to do the same thing
The pebbles are Quikrete All Purpose Gravel. You will find it in the building section near the concrete and not the outdoor section with stones. It is a salt n pepper type mix, so it has some gray stones mixed in with the white. I had read not to get a bright white stone as it blinds you when you need to work by the pool equipment.

We finished up the deck finally. Had to swap out three coping pieces that had saw marks from the supplier. Cut out the holes for our umbrella holders and volleyball net. We ended up with 5 umbrella holders in the deck and 3 in the pool. We purchased 4 umbrellas to move around as we need them. We have no shade in the back yard... Wife is ready to get the furniture outside, but I told her to wait. It's like trying to hold back a hurricane. So I let her try out the umbrellas. LOL We got the skimmer cover done as well. Can you find it? Enclosure was finished in three days with two guys. Impressive work. We went with the 20x20 screen to keep the no see ums out. The enclosure makes the space feel huge. It also ended up bigger than I expected. I used my neighbors as my baseline, but our enclosure has 30 degree rise so the roof is much higher. The wife loves it so we are good. And we have plenty of height for our volleyball games. I also went with 4 foot doors so I can get furniture or other things through there. The regular doors seemed a little tight and the cost to upgrade to a wider door was minimal. I scheduled the child safety and enclosure inspections for Monday and Tuesday. Monday the plaster company will be out to clean the swamp thing out of the pool and we should be swimming by next weekend if everything goes smooth with the plaster process. enclosure.jpgfinal_enclosure.jpgscreendoor.jpgumbrella.jpg

Reactions: PoolNewb2 and gnr5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.