New Owner Build in FL near Orlando

We were excited today to have our first inspection. I went to check at lunch to see if the inspector had come and I found a failure notice. I called the construction company right away to see what they thought about it. The failure listed some FBC section. We looked it up and it made no sense, so I called the city to try and find the inspector and of course I got stuck in recorded message limbo and no selection got me in touch with a person. So I emailed the city to get the inspectors information. Luckily, whoever monitors the emails gave me the inspectors number. I called the inspector to see why he failed it. Any guesses?

The answer is there were too many papers in the permit box and he couldn't easily locate the engineering information. My head about exploded. So I removed all the equipment papers and rescheduled the inspection for tomorrow. The construction company said that was a first. Unbelievable... See you all tomorrow hopefully with better news.

Hey Jim,

Yes, we are getting a screen enclosure. So there shouldn't be anything clogging the filter besides my spilled drinks. LOL. Can you explain if needed why to get a bigger filter? If you can sway me, I will get the bigger one. Let the debate begin.
I am in your neck of the woods and I have the Pentair 200 filter and a screen house. I rarely "have" to clean my filter, but I clean about every 2 weeks. I could probably go 2 months. My filter pressure barely goes up.

Reactions: bbqjosh
Say what??????????????????? I know you are not kidding but...................that is UNREAL!!! sigh..............
You have not had the pleasure of working with City of Orlando or Orange County inspectors! There are good and bad. They are are also severely over tasked. I know an electrical inspector (a good one) and he does something like 40 inspections a day.

Well, we passed our city inspection today. He still had trouble finding the depths of the pool, so I had to pull the paper out that has only the profile with dimensions on it. :oops: Ready for gunite! Looking at the forecast and it is nothing but rain till next Tuesday so we will see when they can do it. How fast does gunite dry? Or when can it get rained on? LOL

The answer is there were too many papers in the permit box and he couldn't easily locate the engineering information. My head about exploded. So I removed all the equipment papers and rescheduled the inspection for tomorrow. The construction company said that was a first. Unbelievable... See you all tomorrow hopefully with better news.
sounds like a typical Orange County Inspector that got ticked at a construction manager over something stupid
During my home build, I wondered if they failed because they didn’t get enough attention that day

• Wow
Reactions: kimkats and bbqjosh

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Today we have gunite! They showed up early, but so did the rain. They pitched a huge plastic tent and got it done. I am impressed. While I didn't get to see most of the work, I did get a sneak peak while they lifted the plastic. It is totally covered at the moment due to the rain, but they will be back to remove the forms and backfill. Will get some final pictures when they take the plastic away.1591313839722.png
1591313883976.png

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

Today we had the backfill and pregrade done. Most of the neighbors are impressed we got to this point in two weeks. I guess they had much slower schedules going with the pool builders. Here are the picture of the gunite now that they removed the plastic. We have plenty of rain in the forecast so that is taking care of watering the shell for me. :cool:
1591550343449.png
1591550378667.png
1591550425527.png

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Kim,

The pool care links are not working and the recommended chemicals and ABC's are not working. Is it my computer? The other links seem to work for the plaster.

So after much debate, ordered samples, laughing, crying, praying, I picked out the tile. I let my wife get what she wanted and every sample I think was worse than the past samples. I jumped online and found the glass tiles she wanted and I knocked it out of her park in one try LOL. She is not pleased, but is very pleased with the tiles. We have mixed tiles for the waterline and 1x2 for the steps.20200520_190520.jpg
20200520_190514.jpg

Reactions: Noiz0713
he pool care links are not working and the recommended chemicals and ABC's are not working.
Our server host did an update and it messed up some of our links. Our IT department is working on it. They should be working soon I hope :(

OH my that is some pretty tile right there!! Now run down to get some paint sample strips.....white, off white. light, medium, dark grays. Put the glass tiles on the different colors to see which look you like the best under that pretty tile. This is the color of thinset you want them to use under the tile.

NOW you also get to think about the grout color. They should have some grout sticks for you to use to to see what you and the wife likes the best.

Reactions: bbqjosh
I haven't been on here for 5 days. I have been so busy coordinating the trades. Our washing machine broke, so that took up some of my time this week. I traced the issue to two severed wires. After 12 years of washing, the plastic cover that is on the motherboard rubbed through the wires. I spliced them back together and we are washing again!

But back to pools... After the backfill of the pool and them removing all the plastic, this was my first chance to get into the pool and bust out my measuring tape. Everything looked good except for two of the steps measured out at 12" tread and they were supposed to be 14". I have a 12 inch foot so I wanted to have a comfortable step for my foot to land on. I sent an email to my gunite company about it and the head guy called me back and said the 14" was documented in my drawing plans so they would come out and fix it. I always hate these type of things, because I built a house and I know rework doesn't always work out how you expect. The guys came back out and added the extra two inches to the two steps, but as expected I ended up with them cleaning out the gunite hose next to the pool. So now I have about 10 gunite boulders I need to do something with.

We had the plumber out and the equipment installed. I don't even know why they backfilled because they just dug it all up again.. I updated my signature with the final equipment that was ordered/delivered. The plumbing guys were fun to talk to and have been doing this work for 50 years combined. They set up the equipment different than how I would have done it, but it will work. I think they could have made less turns in the piping at the equipment, but I'll let the forum chime in.
1591994064777.png
1591994098118.png
1591994139039.png
1591994193395.png
1591994668242.png

We also met with an interior finish company this week to discuss options. We went into the meeting thinking we would go with quartz plaster, but it was really rough like sand paper. I am not sure if that is normal or just his sample so he can upsell the pebble. He brought some samples of the wet edge signature series and their levels are indicated on the board. The company takes care of all the pipe heads, plaster, umbrella inserts, equipment startup, and chemical startup. They like to make sure the chemicals are good before they leave and then I can adjust over the next days. They also provide all the salt for when I am ready for the SWG startup. Sounds like a complete deal. He recommended the Cadet Blue for my pool. He said we will have lots of different blues with that at different elevations in my pool. The Cadet Blue is a level 2 which is a $300 price difference over the level 1 pebbles. Seems reasonable for the upgrade.
1591995525007.png
1591995845775.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.