New Owner/Build - IG Pool sloped yard - Riverside County Southern CA

Re: New Owner/Build - IG Pool sloped yard - Riverside County Southern California

Man, my heart rate elevated a little when reading about your blowout. That kind of stuff (heavy loads, large loads) on busy highways gives me the nerves. Yikes! I know its really amazing how heavy that stuff is. I went and got 6 boxes of porcelain tile for our bathroom (only about 140 sq ft), and I think the guy said it was about 800 lbs, and the back of my tahoe was sagging. Crazy.

Awesome on the deal about the travertine! Can't wait to see it installed.

Re: New Owner/Build - IG Pool sloped yard - Riverside County Southern California

It's coming along lovely. Great news on the travertine, I guess you could always now build a bigger deck!

Sort of.

I went through and counted it all, I've got 1310 sq ft. My deck area needed approx 650, and I ordered 700 for waste and cuts. I had made the decision to only do the travertine on the adjacent decks. To save money, I planned to use travertine tile on the concrete steps, which is pretty much the same thing but thinner. Now I can use the pavers on all the steps, and don't have to buy tile. We'll also now be able to do the bbq/kitchen area and have additional pavers to expand further in certain areas where it wasn't exactly planned.

It worked out quite well. The only problem is that many of the 16x24" will need to be cut down into 8x8 and 8x16 to make the pattern work. That's not a huge problem though, I have a wet saw, so I can do it in some spare time myself.

Tile and stone has started
image_zps63182ba1.jpg

image_zpsc8ecd0f6.jpg

Over the weekend had all the dirt removed and bbq area graded out.
image_zpsa36dc89c.jpg

The Travertine
image_zps39ed0656.jpg

Flagstone for retaining wall (had to get a new wheel barrow just to take the photo's. . .j/k).
image_zps80c6edaf.jpg

Some Palms
image_zpsc81313af.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

It is looking great! The stacked stone is really grabbing the same colors as on the retaining wall stone. All of the tiering draws the eye right to the pool and the scuppers are going to be a nice water feature (I kept saying "great" and had to switch to "nice" because I didn't want to say "great" 15 times - even though it is GREAT!) - Karen

It is looking great! The stacked stone is really grabbing the same colors as on the retaining wall stone. All of the tiering draws the eye right to the pool and the scuppers are going to be a nice water feature (I kept saying "great" and had to switch to "nice" because I didn't want to say "great" 15 times - even though it is GREAT!) - Karen

It should match better after I wire brush off some of the orange pieces.

Here's with just the left part done.

image_zpse5c9a244.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I see a hose , does that mean you're filling? :D :D :D :D

At this rate, should be ready in about 2 more years lol.

Are you serious? That thing looks like it's ready for plaster today!

The real holdup is rather minor. I'm just waiting for my concrete guy to pour my equipment pad, but I've had him busy with the stonework.

My hardscape is being done as a side job. I found a really good guy who's employed by a concrete/masonry sub who does a ton of work for the big PB'ers in this area. It was a bit of legwork to find him, but worth it.

I negotiated an hourly rate which should save a small fortune, but will dramatically extend the timeframe, as he's only here twice per week with one helper. If it was closer to swim season I probably would have contracted the work to get it done quicker, but it's not a huge rush and believe it or not, I sort of enjoy it. I've also taken on quite a bit myself as a DIY project. It's been a blast, I'll probably be bummed when it's done lol.

GREAT job! I love the colors and work that has been done.

Words for this build-great, wonderful, awesome, purrfect, etc!

Kim

image_zps6298c2c1.jpg

Slowed down a bit because I'm not using a contractor for the concrete work and pavers, so it's just a little bit here and a little bit there.

Steps will be complete today. Everything will have Travertine over it, so you won't see the concrete.

I'm building a fire table along the upper deck, the pipe you see will connect to 4 burners which will be centered above the waterfalls.

Retaining wall needs to be acid washed to get the grout off the stone, the actual color will be a bit darker than seen in this photo. It should all match better when the travertine is on the ground, and also being used as a cap for the retaining wall, sort of tying everything together, or at least hoping to.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice job so far! I cant wait to see your travetine all laid out...whats the hold up with that? :)
Waiting for you to fly out from Florida to give me a hand!

- - - Updated - - -

GREAT job! I love the colors and work that has been done.

Words for this build-great, wonderful, awesome, purrfect, etc!

Kim

Thanks Kim!

- - - Updated - - -

Doubtful. Once you are in the pool and swimming, all your worries will start melting away. :gone: Trust me.

And a fair share of screaming from the kids. I get no relaxation. LOL.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.