New O-ring?

Yorker

Silver Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cathedral City, CA
I have been turning a blind eye on a small leak at our Salt Cell’s plumbing union. Knowing how important it is not to over tighten this, I have been using plumbers tape to help the leak. The other day it was time to clean the cell. I realized there was an o-ring that I have never cleaned, changed or put any Magic Lube on. When I looked closer I saw that the o-ring was pressed in so much I questioned if it was doing its job.

I assume that I should replace the o-rings, they measure 2.5”. However, when I looked on Amazon the products comment the specific manufacturer/ union the o-rings are compatible with. Unfortunately I don’t see any identifiable markings on my unions.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
York

Salt Cell.jpgO-ring.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have an Ace Hardware store nearby? They usually have drawers full of o-rings and such. Bring the old one to the store and match it.

Pentair part number 521147. You get ten of them. Available on Amazon.

Or go to Ace……..

Thanks. We do have an Ace nearby.

Questions:
1 - As I mentioned, it seems to be so deep and flush to the top, I don't think it currently is pressing against anything when it's being tightened. Is this o-ring supposed to raise up slightly?
2 - I believe that once I take a screwdriver to get this o-ring out, it will be damaged and unusable. At that point I will no longer be able to run the pump/filter. With our 90 -100 weather, do you have suggestions of what can be done to get the water circulating quickly.

Thanks. We do have an Ace nearby.

Questions:
1 - As I mentioned, it seems to be so deep and flush to the top, I don't think it currently is pressing against anything when it's being tightened. Is this o-ring supposed to raise up slightly?
2 - I believe that once I take a screwdriver to get this o-ring out, it will be damaged and unusable. At that point I will no longer be able to run the pump/filter. With our 90 -100 weather, do you have suggestions of what can be done to get the water circulating quickly.
Lesson learned, I’ll always have a spare on hand! In fact I’ve ordered all o rings I have to have as spares.

Thanks everyone! I do have extra o-rings, I just was not aware that these had o-rings. I did look in the closet for the cap we have for acid cleaning the cell. That cap has an o-ring and it's 2.5", so it seems to be the same as what is used for those unions.

Reactions: mknauss
*puts on flame suit*

I love the pool store here.

In a pinch (pun intended) I don't give a rats patootie that the o-ring is $5 more at the pool store. They not only know which one it is but they have it, go in the back room and kindly fetch it for me.

Roast away. I'm well dressed.

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW