new North Texas backyard retreat!

newbie99

Jul 20, 2020
north texas
hi, first, let me apologize for being late to posting anything here about our project. emotions have been all over the map with this project just beginning for our family. would appreciate any comments or suggests regards to pool equipment or maintenance to expect.. anyways here are the basics..
pool specs.. approx 16k gallons. approx size 24' x 32' freeform.. 95' perimeter, approx 540 sq ft surface area, depth 3' down to 7'.. with a tanning ledge(?), 7' round spa raised about 18 inches above pool. 3 foot tall rock ledge waterfall on deep end. gunite sprayed pool and spa.. 1/2 inch rebar everywhere. Oklahoma flagstone on coping. salt finish -concrete decking. approx 22' sq outdoor living area. cedar construction / gable roof. asphalt shingles. i am sure i have left off some details.. i will post some pictures to help explain scope of project. thanks for reading and helping to educate me!

Welcome to TFP :)

If you are just starting please change out the OK flagstone for coping.. It is a sand stone and will shed sand for its life and slowly disappear into your pool.. Just about any other coping is preferred.. :)

equipment as per plan... some may already be on order
1 pentair 400k btu heater (for spa) MM40E
1 pentair easytouch 8 main sys board -ET11
1 pentair screenlogic bundle.. includes screenlogic interface and wireless kit
1 1.5 Silencer spa blower (brand? -not sure yet)
2 intelliflo VSF WF50
4 jandy 2" 3-way main pump valves
6 jandy 2" 2-way valves for skimmer, bubbler, and return
1 jandy 2" swing check valve for spa
1 pentair 520 cartridge filter
1 pentair in-line chlorinator PT12
1 15K ozonator EC15
3 microbrite LED pool lights AL165 (2 main pool and 1 spa)
1 300w transformer
2 main drains /2 overflows
pool finish will be something called -crystal stones- similar to pebble tec
pool deck will be concrete with -salt finish-

Hi there- thoughts on your equipment:
-Lose that "Inline Chlorinator" and go with a Salt Water Chlorinator instead. You'll thank me later.
-Do not install (even if free) that Ozone junk- it will not help you and in some instances just chew up chlorine!
-3' is *very* shallow.... cant finish a lap in that depth because you scratch your knuckles. Go 3.5' at least.

My two cents

Maddie 🐞

Last edited:
Get the Pentair Intellicenter instead of the really old easytouch system they are trying to pawn off on you.. You can also get the whole system with an IC40 or IC60 SWG.. :)

Thank you for your feedback.. at this point I am afraid we are stuck with 3ft shallow… they just finished digging last week.

- we were talked out of doing saltwater due to it doing damage to our waterfall rocks. This is our first pool so don’t really have Any personal experience there

The depth CAN be changed now. If the rebar is is then it would be harder to do and may cost quite a bit. The 3' is not going to make you happy in the long run due to the issues Maddie talked about. Measure where 3' hits you. Measure from the bottom of the pool to the middle of the skimmer placement. Add about 8" for the steel, shotcrete, and plaster. That will be the WATER DEPTH so it might even be less than 3' depending on how your PB measures it.

I also agree with her other suggestions for the reasons she states.

Reactions: cowboycasey
All pools are salt water pools.. within a year you have a salt water pool at about 1000 to 1500 ppm salt.. After a couple years without adding salt you can run a SWG.. Every time you add chlorine or muriatic acid you are adding salt...

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.