New motor running hot...

BoilerHorn

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 14, 2007
Central Texas
My 2HP 3450 RPM single speed pump motor failed last week. Runs on 220.

Bought a replacement at a nearby national chain pool store (yes, I paid more than I would have elsewhere) and installed it this weekend with new:
  • gaskets
  • impeller
  • diffuser
  • impeller ring
I also bought those parts at the nearby national chain store, and they obliged by installing impeller, etc. for me. Re-installed the motor on Sunday and noticed that the metal case is warm to the touch. Using an RF thermometer, I measured it at 127F, which seems high. It's 90F very near the water intake. It also "smells warm" if that makes sense. Both the impeller and the diffuser seem to be the correct size (for 2hp motor).

First, is this a problem? I worry about accelerated wear and potential burn to the touch.
Second, what might have been done wrong that could result in this problem?
Third, what would you do?

Thanks in advance.

Assuming you are measuring surface temperature, in the shade, at air temperatures less than
90 F, I would give this as a rough guide:

Below 135 F, good
135 to 150 F, warm
Over 150 F, too hot.

Can you show the pump model number and the motor label?

Reactions: borjis
The motor was made on the 363rd day of 2017 (December 29 2017 Friday).

So, it is almost 4 years old.

In any case, do you have a picture of the actual pump label?

What is the make and model of the pump?

What impeller does it have?

Can you measure the voltage and current while the pump is on?

The motor was made on the 363rd day of 2017 (December 29 2017 Friday).

So, it is almost 4 years old.

In any case, do you have a picture of the actual pump label?

What is the make and model of the pump?

What impeller does it have?

Can you measure the voltage and current while the pump is on?

Thanks. I should have looked at that before I bought it. I suspect it was unused, but sat in a warehouse for a while. Out of principle, I might buy a new one and return this.

It is a Hayward Super 2 SP3000 I believe. The impeller is SPX3021C, for the 2HP motor. I am away from the house and will measure voltage later. Current will be a little more of a challenge. Don't have a clamp ammeter (but can get one). Can I measure around the entire wire whip or will I have to take thing apart again?

Old and new were both 2.0x1.0. The impeller is sp3021c.

The receipt says "IMPLR HA SUP2 2HP SP3021C"

Every place I look shows that impeller as 2HP (max 2.5). "INYO" shows full-rated 2.0 HP and uprated 2.5HP.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@JamesW - thanks for your attention to all of my questions.

I see the SPX3016C as an impeller for 1.5 HP motors. I cannot seem to find the receipt/reference for when I replaced the previous impeller. It definitely needed to be replaced.

I think I have figured out my confusion. The B230SE is an uprated motor, by description and design, according to Century. As a result of not knowing that, the pool store guy sold to me and installed the wrong impeller and diffuser. Hence, the motor being overworked and getting warm! I see now :/

I paid a premium to get the motor quickly and could/should have just saved a few bucks and waited; esp. now that I have to take it apart again to change out diffuser/impeller. Sigh...

Old motor was also a replacement. Pool was built in 1995. Bought house in 2006.

2.0x1.0. Here's the label. Sad that it was manufactured only 1 year before the "new" one I just got.

1634835615885.png

Could there be a problem w/ the new one sitting in a warehouse for a couple of years?

Could there be a problem w/ the new one sitting in a warehouse for a couple of years?
Possibly, depending on the conditions.

If the storage had humidity or chemicals in the air, then there can be accelerated corrosion.

Motors are being made with cheaper materials that are much more susceptible to corrosion today.

If the motor was in a sealed box, in good conditions, then it might be ok.

In any case, we know that the new motor is being overloaded.

The motor that was just replaced was also being overloaded and that is probably why it did not last very long.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerHorn
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.