pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
Greetings. First time pool owner looking for education in maintaining it. Live in Michigan so pool will be open for only a few months out of the year and I’d like to spend more time using it than working on it. I’ve only had the pool for about a month and a local pool store has been very helpful, but I quickly see that every time I leave the store from their free test I have bought something. This site appears to be of the minimalist nature and that is consistent with my general nature so I thought this would be a good place to start.

Currently, I have a couple issues. I seem to always be adding PH reducer. The store told me it was normal due to the chemicals created during chlorine generation. Second, I think I have yellow algae. According to the pool store, my numbers look good. The water looks clear.

I will be ordering my own test kit later today and preparing to SLAM the pool but until I’m prepared, things appear to be in pretty good shape.

Per my last visit to the pool store:

This was a day after a shock with Calcium Hypochlorite 57.8% and a quart of algicide to try to kill the yellow algae (didn’t work).

ph - 7.5
Alkalinity - 89
Calcium Hardness - 152
Optimizer - 4
Free Chlorine - 6.3
Total Chlorine - 7.3
CYA - 54
Phosphate - 73

I‘m sure my Cl is lower now, but my test kit only goes up to 3ppm. I’m sure I’m over that but not much based on the color. I guess that’s another issue. My salt generator seems to keep the chlorine over 4ppm. I even started turning off the pump overnight to try to keep it under control. I only have it set at 10% and I shut the pump off for 8 hours at night.

Anyway, let the process begin. I’ll get the test kit and look for a couple days where it will be okay to shut down the pool.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

The algaecide won't kill algae. You need chlorine for that. It has some benefit as a preventative measure. I'd skip it altogether since some of them have metals which you don't want in the pool. You best bet is to keep the chlorine level high until your test kit arrives. Stick with liquid chlorine in the meantime. Your CYA isn't too high for a SWG assuming your pool store got that right. You don't want to accidently add more. Try reading Pool School on the left side of the menu for more information.

Nice job putting your pool information in your signature! 👍

Once you get your test kit,(assuming either TF100 or k2006c?), post your results in testing balancing forum so the experts can give you a hand.
If your water is still clear, you won’t have to shut down your pool.
You are safe to swim in slam level FC for your cya. (Once we know what cya is through your testing). For example if your cya tests at 54, it counts as 60 cya and slam level is 24ppm.

Keep FC above what your test max and you should be good until your kit arrives.

Read ABCs of pool water chemistry, link in my signature. And any others you have time for. Including slamming.
Good luck on your mission, you are in the right place! 😀

With SWG, get the k1766 salt test kit too. Better than strips.
I like my sample sizer. Fill test tube, lower sizer into the tube for either 10ml or 25ml sample. Don’t have to hold up, try to stay level and eye ball the line. Not high on the list if tight on money, but adding to the already free shipping is nice.
Maybe an extra bean for the speed stir. Haven’t lost mine yet but...

I got the FT100 with the K1766 salt test kit. I also got an extra stir bar. I thought about the XL option, but I figured that this late in the year that I shouldn't buy extra regents as my understanding is that they last about a year. Also, my hope is that I won't be testing that often as soon as I get comfortable that everything is in order (balanced).

A bit of confusion on the salt. My generator says 4200 but I used a test strip that the installer left me and it indicated about 3600 which is consistent with the reading that the pool store has given me for the past few weeks when I've gone there. I'll see what the test kit indicates when it gets here.

Thanks for the input so far. I'll post my results to a new thread when I get my kit.

Reactions: Msch99