New Member Trying to Chase Down Lost Prime

You have the most beautiful pool! And complex! Maybe one or more of your drains plugged But if you can get a helper put plastic at different places while you change valves to try and see ways to troubleshoot your suction of air

Thanks very much, banditig. It's not nearly as complex or pretty as some of the pools here in Southern California, but it did take a fair amount of work to build. Knowing what I know now, there are a few things I'd do differently, but overall we've been happy with it.

The plastic idea is a good one. I'll try wrapping each valve one by one and see if it makes any difference in the air coming into the basket.

Good news!

The pipe that screws into the pump on the return side vibrated loose and was leaking. I probably could've gotten away with applying new putty to the threads and tightening it up, but there was no way to get to it without cutting out some plumbing. I bought a bunch of PVC and some fittings and ended up replacing about two feet of pipe on either side of the pump. Took most of the day, but mission accomplished, no more leaks & pump's holding prime.

While I was at it I took the pump apart to see if I could figure out what was causing the cavitation.

poolmedic called it. Diffuser o-ring was all stretched out and just kind of hanging there. Got a new one, lubed it up, ba-boom! no more more bubbles or rattling in the pipes.

Really appreciate the help everyone! Next up... figuring out how the main drain works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.