New Member / New Pool Owner / Many Questions

Splashless is not good. It may cause some foaming. Well, if you see foam you know why. :p Don't panic too badly. It will go away on its own. We stay away from splashless and any scented bleaches. Just the plain stuff.

By now you pretty-much have the idea though right? This 10-min drill was intended to ensure you have no more ammonia, so by holding the FC for at least 10 min you ensure you are ready to SLAM. Now whatever happens with your schedule, try to stay on that FC as best as you can to prevent the ammonia from trying to return. That would stink. Refer back to what we've been doing and you'll be fine. Good luck!

The key is persistent FC adjusting to beat it. Do that before you add the stabilizer though, otherwise the stabilizer will just feed the ammonia. Once you are sure the 10-min drill has done its job, then press-on with the other steps. You did a good job this evening. I'll check your thread tomorrow for more updates and see how you're doing.

Ugh

Just got two FC - 5 tests in a row.

Upgrade from when I started, but clearly not done here.

I also just noticed that my water level is about 1.5" less than it should be, so I'm not sure how that is going to factor into my SLAMing.

I will for sure be conquering this nonsense by tomorrow.

Wow, you have quite the battle going! Not had this issue yet but I am learning a lot from reading all the posts. Hope today goes better! Southington, CT will not have any bleach left by the time you are done with this. Good luck today!

ddigz, it's obvious you have a major bug eating that chlorine. Add to that you probably have little to no CYA at the moment and your FC will go very fast. So when you get back home and decide to hit this again, I would like for you to keep two options in mind:
1 - Start right where we left off last night with the 10-min drill (FC of 10) until it holds (between 5-10) for 10 minutes. If you can get it to do that, then add stabilizer for a target of 30 and increase FC to 12. Then all you should have to do is watch it periodically to keep it at the SLAM of 12. Check often at first but then it should steady-off and hold much better/longer
2 - Do a partial drain to relieve some of the stress on the pool and replace with fresh water.

I still feel as though the bleach should do the trick for you when you can stay there to watch it, but for some owners, replacing water is just as easy and cost efficient. So I'm trying to look-out for your best interests and let you know you have a couple options. I'm happy to advise and assist either way you prefer to go.

Also, when you get a chance, can you post a pic of your water/pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool looks all right. Needs some light skimming and vacuuming.

20160621_132647_1.jpg

20160621_132629.jpg

20160621_132618.jpg

20160621_132558_2.jpg

20160621_132558_2.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.