New member. Need help please!

Jul 31, 2017
Wilbraham ma
Hi I am new to this forum. I bought a house with a 24000 gallon inground pool with a deep end. First time pool owner and I cant illustrate enough how helpful TFP has been for me. Thanks all you guys for sharing all these info. However I am in a bit of bother here right now and need some advice. About three weeks ago my pool pump motor broke and after a lot of you tubing i decided to change it myself. Which I did successfully and my pump is up and running again. However it took me about couple weeks to get everything done. In the meantime the water got all cloudy. Anyway I learnt about the slam process here and did everything accordingly. The water is crystal clear now. I passed the oclt and my tc was at 0.4. So i stopped the slam process. Checked the fc around 3 pm and it came down to 1 from 10 since 6am . So i poured couple more gallons of 12.5% bleach in the evening and in the morning it was holding at shock level at 11. Checked it again now at 3 pm and the fc reafing is again 1. By the way my cya is 0. Should I add cya now or the pool is supposed to hold fc longer? Thank you.

Welcome to the forum!

Outdoor pools need a minimum of 30 ppm CYA. You should have had that in during the SLAM. Chlorine has a half life of about 30 minutes if your pool has no CYA, and the sun is shining on the water.

Get 30ppm CYA in the pool today. Use Pool Math to calculate how much product to use. Place it in a sock and hang it in front of a return. Squeeze the sock to accelerate the dissolving of the powder.

Use the chlorine / CYA chart to manage your FC going forward.

Welcome again --and take care.

Run your SWCG.

And yes, if you are assured your SLAM is complete, take your CYA to at least 60. 70 is good to. Your summer is winding down up north so your sun is not as intense anymore.

A signature would have included the SWCG -- can you fill one out? Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Everything is great now after adding cya. Pool is holding fc. One problem though. I put the cya in a sock in front of the return jet in the step. This morning i see a brown stain where i left the sock on the step. Scrubbing not working. Any idea how to get rid of this stain? Not sure what the steps are made of. Some hard plastic i assume.

- - - Updated - - -

My signature not working. Have to look at it again.

The CYA is mildly acidic. Best not to let it sit on a step - that is why we say hang in front of a return.

Doubt it would harm plastic ---

Take care.