New member - johntniman

Pool is looking more clear now - it could be clearer, but I can't complain much. I did order a new multi-port for my sand filter and 300# of Mystic White II filter sand. Next weekend I'll probably have 100 questions about PVC cutting / gluing / unions, etc.

As an aside, Thanks very much for keeping me out of the pool store. I was looking for that specific brand of sand and popped in to see if they had it. They didn't, but had some sand "in the back" that they didn't know what brand it was. Some people have said their pool stores have refillable liquid chlorine deals, so I asked about that and they don't offer it. They do have 4 gallons of 12% ... for $18.99. Their unions were $20/per - I forgot to check when I went to Lowes, but I'm sure they're not that. There's just nothing in the pool store I need, and it's vastly overpriced if there is.

Reactions: kimkats
Do you have a menards near you? Probably not as it's a midwest store, but they run gallons of 12% liquid cholorine for 3.99 and were just running it BYGO free. I believe they were dated the middle of March. I also priced out the plumbing pieces needed and found there and HD to be comparable. I don't remember the price of the unions but I think they ran around $9. No need to pay pool store prices on those, the hardware stores work just fine. The only pieces I bought specifically for a pool were the valves and that was only because I needed a 3 way valve so figured if I was going to cut and re-plumb anyway I'd just replace both that I had. The others worked fine, but the Pentair valves work much more smoothly.

Reactions: johntafshar
Do you have a menards near you? Probably not as it's a midwest store, but they run gallons of 12% liquid cholorine for 3.99 and were just running it BYGO free.

Sadly they're not out this far west, but I saw that sale and was jelly. Right now the Lowe's 2/6.98 is the best deal, and I saw some 114-dated chlorine there last weekend. I'll get my PVC and unions from there, too - I should consider replacing the valves, but it's not necessary just yet.

A strange thing happened over the weekend. I've been monitoring my chems daily and keeping everything in line. Pool was very clear Saturday and I even went for a swim. I added some MA because the PH was a little high, and some chlorine to keep it in normal levels.

When I woke up on Sunday, the spa was very cloudy/white and the pool was blue, but cloudy enough that I couldn't see the bottom. FC/CC/PH were all in line with what they should be. I added more chlorine to bring it up to the high end of maintenance levels and the spa cleared, but the pool still hasn't. There's no green, but the sudden onset cloudiness is very strange. I'm just maintaining my chem levels for now, but any thoughts on (1) what happened, or (2) if I should be doing anything differently?

Hard to say. First would be FC dipped due to birds or other organic material. Otherwise dirt stirred up? I know it has been windy and hot.

There are plenty of birds and their associated "organic material" around the pool, unfortunately :/ I pressure washed it off on Saturday, and ran the vac before I went for my swim.

Dirt stirred up from the spa makes sense, but there shouldn't have been that much dirt in the pool - I've been robo vacing it every day. It was both real windy and real hot, though, so maybe it did kick something up.

Should I just maintain normal FC levels (between 6-8) or should I SLAM it until it's clear?

Whatever it is doesn't seem to be organic. I have 0 CC tonight, with FC still in range and PH looking OK. The water does seem to be clearing, but it's not TFP clear for sure. I just cleaned the vacuum to let it run around some more and topped off my FC - I'll give it till Friday and see how it does.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.