New member - johntniman

Pretty low rate. What sump pump did you get?
Be sure your pool pump is disabled during this.

I would suggest adding a quart of liquid chlorine to your spa each day during this so you keep some chlorine in the system.

The water exchange continues - no issues so far. Other than the bleach in the spa, I haven't done any testing or added anything to the pool. I upped the fill rate some because water was evaporating off faster than it was filling, then re-balanced the drain and fill rate. It looks like there might be a surprise thunderstorm about to happen, though. Current plan is to stop the sub pump and fill hose Tuesday night, run the main pool pump all day Wednesday, and post a fresh full set of tests Wednesday night.

One thing that occurred to me: Is it standard for IG pools to have a fill pipe, or is filling it with a hose the usual method? There's half-broken pipe next to my water spigot that looks like it's probably pool plumbing, but I'm not sure if it's to let out air, or should be a fill pipe, or what.

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    662.4 KB · Views: 24
Most pools here have an autofill. Yours does not? No way I could survive without one -- we lose 3/4" to 1" per day during the summer.

It's hard to say - there wasn't any good instructions so I've been picking up how my equipment works as I go along. There is not an auto-fill on the pad. this pipe might be an autofill, but it's obviously disconnected if so.

I also got tired of waiting for it to drain a few inches and then filling with a hose, so I hacked together an autofill you can see here.

I'm distracted at work, so I'm guesstimating what my test readings will be. Sub pump is coming out tonight. The fill/drain rate is just slightly more than 100g/hr, not counting the rain yesterday and a little extra filling to bring water levels up. It's been running since Saturday at 3 PM, so by the time I stop it tonight around 6 it will have run for about 75 hours, meaning 7500g or 61% replaced (assuming perfect replacement, but not counting the variables that might bring the replacement volume up slightly.) I'm not gonna take a stab at FC, CC, TA, or PH, but since this was mostly done for CYA and CH:

CYA: Previously ~ 80. Since the fill water has 0 CYA, my estimate is ~30, rounding down slightly.
CH: Previously ~500. Fill is ~225. Guessing ~330.

Full rack of fresh tests coming Wednesday night. Those would be some nice SLAM starting numbers, though, if I'm even ballpark right.

Sub pump is out, main pump is back on, and I threw my S200 in to clean some of the algae and to further mix things up. Also added a fresh skimmer sock and opened the intake and outlet for the spa. I'll put a gallon of chlorine in tonight and run my pump 24/7 until SLAM is complete. I planned on another gallon of chlorine each night until Saturday morning when I start SLAM in earnest, plus whatever chemicals tomorrow night's test indicates.

Semi-related, does anyone know what parts I'd need to rebuild the multi-valve on my filter? It works fine, it's just a bit grindy when I use the valve. If opening it up and spraying some lubricant in there would do the trick, I can do that too. Pics of the valve and filter label attached.

Attachments

• 20190430_175245.jpg
    20190430_175245.jpg
    651.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190430_175251.jpg
    20190430_175251.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 11
Sub pump is out, main pump is back on, and I threw my S200 in to clean some of the algae and to further mix things up. Also added a fresh skimmer sock and opened the intake and outlet for the spa. I'll put a gallon of chlorine in tonight and run my pump 24/7 until SLAM is complete. I planned on another gallon of chlorine each night until Saturday morning when I start SLAM in earnest, plus whatever chemicals tomorrow night's test indicates.
Be sure to check and adjust PH before starting SLAM, as FC over 10+ causes a false higher reading. (reagent reaction)

Semi-related, does anyone know what parts I'd need to rebuild the multi-valve on my filter? It works fine, it's just a bit grindy when I use the valve. If opening it up and spraying some lubricant in there would do the trick, I can do that too. Pics of the valve and filter label attached.
Paging @InyoRob @InyoMatt :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Fresh rack of tests is in, along with pics of the current situation. Obviously my poor Dolphin isn't living it's best life right now :ROFLMAO:

FC 0.5 - One drop - this is after 1/2 a gallon of 10% last night. But see the CYA.
CC 0.5 - Also one drop.
TC 1
PH 8.2
TA 160
CH 350-375 Not a bad guess.
CYA barely visible at 20 at a glance.

PH needs to come down significantly, and PoolMath says 121 oz should bring it down to 7.2 for SLAM. I'll add an even gallon.

The CYA I'm waffling on. It's probably sub-20 (which is INCREDIBLE - blew that guess) but since CYA and chlorine to SLAM are linked, I don't necessarily hate it being a bit low. It is supposed to be 90, give or take, this weekend. I don't have any CYA on hand, but could get some specifically for this. I also have Trichlor tabs (3") available, if one or two of those in the skimmer would do the trick, and it would also give a bit more chlorine.

Thoughts to best prepare to evict the Swamp Thing this weekend?

Attachments

• 20190501_173320.jpg
    20190501_173320.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 20190501_173330.jpg
    20190501_173330.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 15
I would add 10 ppm CYA using the sock method. Assume you have 30 ppm CYA in the water and SLAM. Hit it as hard as you can to start, test and add liquid chlorine every couple hours if you can.

Reactions: johntafshar
I assume you have circulated the pool several hours and brushed it really well before taking the water sample for the tests. If not, I would not add anything until you test everything tomorrow.

How well does solid CYA keep? There was a container of something by my pool equipment that I hadn't cleaned up yet, and when I just checked it was CYA. It's in an opaque plastic tub, well sealed, still appears dry inside. But it's also been outside for at least a year and a half, and I'm not sure how much longer than that.

How well does solid CYA keep? There was a container of something by my pool equipment that I hadn't cleaned up yet, and when I just checked it was CYA. It's in an opaque plastic tub, well sealed, still appears dry inside. But it's also been outside for at least a year and a half, and I'm not sure how much longer than that.
It doesn't go bad unless it gets wet, as far as I know :D
Is it a "brick" or powder?

Last edited:
Yep, it was still freely moving granules. +1lb into a sock in the skimmer, per PoolMath. I'll give it a squish when I get home tonight.
You might want to pull that out and put it in a bucket of water, until you verify you can get FC to hold.

Have you added enough liquid chlorine/bleach to raise FC/10 for your pool? Retest in 15-30min

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.