New Member - Joe Garcia from Ft. Myers, FL

Joe Garcia

Apr 9, 2020
Ft. Myers, FL
Hello Everyone,
I just stumbled on to TFP when trying to find out why my 12,000 gallon pool wont hold chlorine. Most of what I read said I have Chlorine Lock. Then I come on the forum here and the members say Chlorine Lock doesn't even exist! Sounds like my pool store talking about stuff that isn't even real!

I'm sold on TFP and excited about learning how to take matters into my own hands. I live in Ft. Myers, FL and have been using the pool store and testing strips for 7 years now. Like most that are doing what I'm doing, they spend a SICK amount of money at the pool store. I'm always doing something to the water and the maintenance is wearing me out! I look forward to meeting all of you and becoming the pool chemist I always knew I could be.

ONE QUESTION I MUST ASK
: In the little that I read, I saw a number of testing systems mentioned. What are the two or three RECOMMENDED testing kits and where can I purchase one?

Thanks,

Joe Garcia

Reactions: Delinquent
Hi Joe and welcome to TFP! :wave: You're correct about the chlorine lock - old industry term that holds no value here. FC loss? ...... we'll help. Could be algae-related, but proper test results will confirm.
The test kit you want is the TF-100. The alternative is the Taylor K-2006C. I love my TF-100 with magnetic speedstir. A great combo that will pay for itself in savings and accuracy. Also see Test Kits Compared.

It's great to hear you are taking charge of your water. The horror stories we hear about free testing is amazing and never-ending. Don't forget to update your signature. See mine as an example. Great to have you with us.

Pat,
Thanks for the welcome and the great info as I need to get a test kit quick! I noticed that a couple of kits don't have a Chrorine OTO test as part of their kit. How vital is that and do I need that test at the moment with the alleged Chlorine Lock problem?

The OTO only gives you a rough idea of the chlorine level or presence. The TF-100 and Taylor K-2006C comes with the FAS-DPD which is absolutely essential for accurate testing. Once you receive your test kit and use the FAS-DPD, you'll be able to validate your true FC and CC levels, and also equipped to perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test or SLAM Process if needed.