New member in Kansas

1951Ford

Mar 23, 2023
Kansas
I stumbled across this site while searching how to change my pool from baquacil to chlorine. What I had envisioned being a fairly straightforward process has turned into a whole host of new questions.
We have a new to us inground pool at a house we purchased last fall. I haven't done the math, but I believe the previous owners said it was around 18,000 gallons. There is a sand filtration system off to the side as well. The previous owners had put a new liner in it last spring and noticed the water level dropping over the summer. Turns out, there is a leak around the light at the 9' end. As soon as the weather straightens up, we're going to have that fixed. Their pool company said we would need to drain the pool down to the level of the light to repair the leak.
My initial questions are:
1. Would it be easier to just drain it completely and start over, or can I drain it halfway and start from there? We are on a well, so a water bill isn't an issue.

2. What, if anything, do I need to do with the filtration system?

I'm going to look around here for the answers, but would welcome being pointed in the correct direction.

Thanks, Chris

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Their pool company said we would need to drain the pool down to the level of the light to repair the leak.
That's not true. Much depends on where exactly it's leaking. We you find the culprit let us know.

1 - You never want to drain a pool if you can help it, especially if the walls and/or liner relies on the water for support. Well water ... we understand.
2 - Nothing for the filter if it's working properly. Previous owners may have added pool store junk (floc & gels) to the water which may have compromised the sand, but if not, sand doesn't just go bad. It should be fine. It might just need a good deep clean to loosen it all up. We can help you with that later as well.

Stick close to our Pool Care Basics for lots of great info. We can help coach you through just about any scenario. Enjoy the forum. :swim:

Reactions: 1951Ford
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

That's not true. Much depends on where exactly it's leaking. We you find the culprit let us know.

1 - You never want to drain a pool if you can help it, especially if the walls and/or liner relies on the water for support. Well water ... we understand.
2 - Nothing for the filter if it's working properly. Previous owners may have added pool store junk (floc & gels) to the water which may have compromised the sand, but if not, sand doesn't just go bad. It should be fine. It might just need a good deep clean to loosen it all up. We can help you with that later as well.

Stick close to our Pool Care Basics for lots of great info. We can help coach you through just about any scenario. Enjoy the forum. :swim:
Thank you, I really appreciate the information!!
I've got a list of pool information written down in a safe place, including what they did to it last year. All I gotta do is remember where that safe place is!!:unsure::unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: Texas Splash
If you're thinking of ditching that Bacquacil, do not add any to the pool and let the Bac levels drop. THat makes for an easier transition. And you *will* be glad you transitioned as Bac is expensive and difficult to manage.
Have you seen this subforum: Baquacil Conversion

A couple of our biggest posters switched to chlorine and have never regretted it! @Leebo

Reactions: 1951Ford
If you're thinking of ditching that Bacquacil, do not add any to the pool and let the Bac levels drop. THat makes for an easier transition. And you *will* be glad you transitioned as Bac is expensive and difficult to manage.
Have you seen this subforum: Baquacil Conversion

A couple of our biggest posters switched to chlorine and have never regretted it! @Leebo
Yes, that was the first one I found! After reading a little bit in there, I decided to sign up.