New member - I have a pool!! Now what do I do with it?

DivineMrsM

May 8, 2019
Bowling Green, KY
I think the title says it all, pretty much. After a lifetime of dreaming of the day I'd have my own pool, my long-suffering husband and I have just completed construction of our own backyard oasis. We're pumped. The kids (3 elementary-age boys) are pumped. My local extended family is pumped. But if we're honest, we're also a little lost and scared? We went ahead and sprung for the good stuff, so I feel like we're off to a positive start, but we're quite keen to keep it that way.

Before I found TFP, I poked around a little online and found a test kit that looked okay (Poolmaster 22260). Apparently it's not as okay as I was hoping, so I'll be moving over to a better one soon. Our pool is currently seeing use at least once a day because school just let out and it's hot. So I'm set up on my phone to track my maintenance, but I'm not 100% sure where to start? This morning, I tested and got:
FC: 2.5
pH: 7.6-7.7
Salt: 2760

I don't know how to test for the other things? Is it just my janky test kit? I'd also like to kind of put together a list of the supplies I need to have on hand, but there's a lot of products out there and I'm just not sure which ones are right for my situation. Filter parts and whatnot, I can handle. But which shock? Which salt? What have I not mentioned?

Welcome to the forum!
Test Kits Compared. You also need a K1766 Salinity test kit.
There is some light reading for you!
You will use liquid chlorine/plain bleach/Chlorinating liquid/liquid pool shock for raising your FC when needed. The SWCG is for maintaining your FC.
Salt -- I use plain water softener salt. NO additives.
Did you download the PoolMath app and register for the subscription? If so, be sure to share your poolmath logs so we can all see them.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Reactions: LFrankow
Most pools use muriatic acid to lower pH. That product should not be stored in a garage or shed. I use a plastic 20 gallon trash can with lid to store mine on the side of the house. You may need something more secure if you have inquisitive children.

You should have a couple gallons of liquid chlorine stored in the laundry room for pool parties, etc to give FC a boost.

Follow the FC/CYA Levels. Do you know how much CYA / stabilizer / conditioner was added to the pool when filled?

Your kit is not sufficient so get one of the proper ones. If your FC tests over 5 ppm with your kit, your pH test with that kit will be invalid.

Reactions: Pperc
Follow these folks advice. We did and have had a crystal clear pool for nearly a year. The outlay for a proper test kit will save you many $ and even more aggravation! Even better you have willing experts to walk you through any rough spots!

This helps, thanks. I've set up and paid for the Pool Math app and I've ordered the better test kit. We've been using the pool hard, so I want to make sure it doesn't get away from me.

I don't know exactly how much of anything was added to the pool when it was filled, apparently my pool contractor will get them up and running, but after that, I'm kind of on my own. I'll ask him next I see him what he used. I tested the FC/CYA this morning and it's pretty clear my FC is super low. I'll be shocking this evening after the sun goes down. It also looks like my salt is low, but I'm going to tackle one problem at a time. For now, I'm focusing on understanding FC!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.