New Member! How do I get started?

speck

Jul 20, 2020
Tampa, Florida
Hello! SO happy to have found this website! There's a ton of great advice.
I have already purchased the TF-100 test kit, and it was delivered yesterday. I am wondering how to get started with it and which tests I should perform. I have a brand new pool (filled for the first time May 30th), and we've had 2 inches or so of rain over the past 2-3 days.

Looking forward to getting started!

Start by testing.

We can't give you directions to where you want to be without knowing where you are now. And besides the test results, it also helps to know what the water looks like. Would you describe it as clear, dull, cloudy, green, or sludge? Any patches of algae visible? Any slippery spots on the walls or floor?

The water looks great! Clear and no algae visible anywhere. Here are the test results:

PH = 7.5
FC = 1
CC = 0
CH = 450
TA = 50
CYA = 35-40

Seems like the TA and FC are a little low.

I had an in-line chlorinator installed with the pool (before I knew about the dangers/headaches of CYA), and I've used 4 tablets. I still have some tablets (don't think I'll be needing them), and I also picked up 2.5 gallons of liquid chlorine from Pinch a Penny.

Please advise!

Speck,

Welcome to TFP!

It never hurts to go a little higher in the range. I prefer to stay in the middle to upper half of the normal range. That way if a sudden rain or something else increases the load you don't fall below the minimum. Florida has algae farms everywhere so it's fairly easy to get a bloom out of nowhere.

Good luck and again welcome!

Chris

After I posted the results, I entered them into pool math and it suggested between 3-7ppm. Any reason to go higher than the minimum of 3ppm?

Minimum FC is the level you don't want to ge below on regular basis, or you will risk an algae outbreak.
The reason to go above minimum is to compensate for the daily FC loss. Normal FC loss due to UV and bather load is 2-4ppm. If you start your day at 3ppm, you will be close to or at 0ppm by the end of the day.

You should target maximum FC when you add liquid chlorine. This way your FC should not drop below the minimum throughout the day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.