New Member from MN

Pulled the light apart. Shattered bulb inside. Gasket looked ok but when bulb exploded at some point, I think that damaged part of gasket, precipitating the leak. I'll search for other threads on recommend repairs. Don't really need a light so $400 on full replacement doesn't speak to me much. LED would be fancy though!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

What I'll probably do is get a new gasket, incandescent replacement bulb and fix the wiring at the deck box. It's frayed. If the $25 bulb works for a while and doesn't blow out due to electrical issues, then I'll look into LED.

Tests
pH 7.2
FC 9.5
CC 0
TA 130
No cya. Too cloudy for good test. Need to find a good indoor method for cya.
Jacked FC back up. Will try OCLT. Other 2 criteria met.
Still seeing small amounts of sand/silt on bottom. Mostly beyond returns. Robot also picking up sand. Hope is just because of new sand or maybe not rinsing long enough after backwash...

The patience now needs to kick in. Weather not cooperating though.
We just got over 2 inches of rain in an hour and a half here. Water level was right in the middle of skimmer openings, now is at the top... wonder what my FC looks like now.
I'm nearing the need for backwash on filter so I guess it's not all bad. Will probably backwash, test CYA tonight and add more. Ground is so soaked here, I'm not sure where my back wash water is going to go (other than the neighbors yard... eventually).

Where do your downspouts drain to? I plumbed a 4"x4"x1.5" wye into the 4" underground line from the downspouts and ran a 1.5" line to my filter. Be aware I'm not sure all municipalities allow using their storm drain system for this purpose.

Ground is so soaked here, I'm not sure where my back wash water is going to go (other than the neighbors yard... eventually).

Where do your downspouts drain to? I plumbed a 4"x4"x1.5" wye into the 4" underground line from the downspouts and ran a 1.5" line to my filter. Be aware I'm not sure all municipalities allow using their storm drain system for this purpose.

Our house has no downspouts at all, something that I'd like to remedy... The only place we have roof gutters is over the front door (about 8 feet) and it just dumps directly into the landscaping rock. Our lot is the highest point for about half a mile in any direction. The house and pool are on about a 1 acre lot, roughly in the center but off to one side. That's the side the pool is on. This side is next to 2 neighbors lots. I have a ~30 foot roll up backwash hose that essentially runs into more landscaping rock, which runs down into a low spot between my lot and 2 neighbors, runs further downhill to other neighbors. If I wanted to run to the curb/gutters, it's 150 feet in either direction or I could run it to the other side of the pool and then it would run through the lawn and down to the street.

I'm sure if I got it there, there would be no complaints from city or neighbors although checking local code wouldn't hurt. Just no method that's not excessively long or unsightly at this point.

EDIT: I knew I had looked it up at some point. Straight from the city ordinances:
Subd. 2. All back flushing water or pool drainage water shall be directed onto the property of the owner or onto approved drainage ways. Drainage onto public streets or other public drainage ways shall require a permit from the Zoning Administrator.

I'm not sure what "approved drainage ways" means but looks like so far I'm doing it just fine although I'd like a more "elegant" solution.

Last edited:
After work. Got a solid 2 inches of rain today.
Backflushed filter, was needed and water level was top of skimmer openings.
FC 9
CC 0
TA 140 ? I thought rain water had almost none.
Added enough bleach to bring to 13/14.
Was still drizzling so didn't feel comfortable plugging in robot. Manually brushed whole pool. Still getting dark sediment on the bottom especially in corners. Seems to settle quickly. Still possibility of sand bleeding through filter? Might have to try nylon test on a return. Have not had much luck vacuuming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lunch duty.

FC 10.5
CC 0 (maybe a twinge of pink, maybe I just imagined it)

Cleaned out the skimmers, cleaned the R2 unit and put it back in.
Added enough bleach to bring to 12 FC.
Also put in another 3 pounds of CYA in a sock/return method. Have added a total of 8 lbs now. Should hit 36 ppm CYA based on a low estimate of my pool volume, 27K.

So fresh and so clean clean.
uqebe9ah.jpg

Opening day:
yhyhyta2.jpg

Today:
resade2y.jpg

Full tests this evening
PH 7.4 (my phone refuses to start a line with a lower case letter :mad: )
FC 10
CC 0.5
CH 300
TA 140
CYA 25
CYA should come up higher soon. Just dissolved the last of my 8 lbs yesterday.

Well on my way. :cool:

Some great results from excellent help by everyone on TFP.

Basking in the glow of my sparkly pool, with my new filter and valve humming away. All of which was only possible with the excellent help from everyone at TFP, lots of Pool School, some cheap bleach and a healthy dose of POP.

I <3 TFP.

by2a7ape.jpg

You did an outstanding job listening to the advice provided to you and reading Pool School til you understood it! Bought your own reliable test kit and stocked up on POP and bleach! As you have just witnessed, it can be done. Stick around and help a newbie! :goodluck: We can always use the help around here! :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.