New member from Kentucky. Tks for letting me join your awesome group.

I didn't know that thanks for the info. Well it's 6:30pm, and the refill water is just now going into the pool, finally. No checks done because no pump to run etc. So hopefully the water will get in quick (which I doubt because it's really low) so I can filter for at least 30 check and SLAM, and hopefully come morning the water will still be in there this time. lol. Have a nice nite, and tks again for everything.

Hello TFP algae warriors,

Well it took forever for the water level to get high enough again (due to low water pressure at my house). Unable to do backwash/rinse on the filter which is required when new sand is placed in.

I also didn't get to do a FC check last night, but knew it had been a bright sunny hot day, and had been the norm, most likely FC was low. So to prevent it from dropping below 12, a gallon of 10% LS was added at around 9pm last night, and the jet attachment on the water hose, as well as the power washer was used to mix it up as best as I could because water level was too low to allow pump to function properly. (I know this is not the preferred method but I did it anyway lol Twice cause I did it again the next morning too).

The amount of water in the pool was higher this morning, but I unable to still do proper backwash/rinse of the new sand in the pump because it would only prime to about 1/2 prime, and I was unable to do a FC check. I did again, as mentioned above, added 1 gallon of 10% LS to attempt to maintain FC and prevent them from dropping below 12.

My attempts to correct the 1/2 prime issue failed-(ie) running the pump on recirculation, opening filter drain plug allowing filter section to completely fill with water before starting pump, etc.)

So, I made a new post here on TFP, and as usual the wonderful, knowledgeable, people on this site headed me in the right direction, and eventually the pump was finally up, and functioning properly. My problem was that the hoses were not pressed up on the connectors far enough, and they were allowing too much air to be sucked in around them, preventing full prime to occur. As I mentioned on the other post, the hose that leads directly from under the skimmer of the pool down to the area where the filter basket is located was IMO the Main culprit in my air sucking, 1/2 prime issue.

I was finally able to run a FC/cc check after running the pump for an hour to mix everything up real well. Levels at 11:30 AM- FC-18, CC-1.

I added 10% liquid shock to raise the FC back up to my SLAM level of 22. It's a nice cloudy overcast day out, so that should help the FC hold at that level for awhile. The water is still cloudy, but with all the new water that had to be added yesterday, a properly functioning MPV, and new sand, hopefully it won't take it long to clear up. Thank you all for all your help. Have a Nice Day, and We Be Slamming, We Be Slamming, Hey. LOL.

It is now 4:30pm- (5 hours after I was able to get my pump with new parts/sand officially up and running) FC-18, CC-.5 . Before the level check, I just did my 1st dirty filter backwash/rinse, although the pressure on the gauge had only risen by 2 lol, I still wanted to know how well it was cleaning.

All I can say is WOW!!! what a difference the new MPV, and the new sand made in filtering out so much more of that Yuck. I've also had to remove, and replace 2 knee high panty hose from the skimmer basket in 5 hours too because they were covered in algae, dead bugs, etc.. I hope the filter just keeps on pumping like it has been over the past 5 hours because at this rate the pool will be clear, and this SLAM will be finished in no time.

When I saw how gross, and cemented together, the old sand was yesterday I knew there was no wonder I was having to backwash/rinse multiple times a day, and still felt like I was not getting very far, nearly as fast as I should have been, but little did I know that making 2 small changes to the equipment would make a world of difference in how quickly the pool cleaning is going. I wish I'd done this a week ago, and I probably would have been able to be in the pool floating around by now.

I'm so glad I found TFP site because without the help, and knowledge, that you all have given me, none of this would have been possible. Thank you all again so much, and have a wonderful night.

5 AM FC-18, CC-.5-(CC is just barely showing pink). Pool Brushed, and 10% LS added up to SLAM level. The pool got about 2 inches of water added from the rain last night, and it's still raining this morning. LOL all that free water will be well spent on backwashing/rinsing after vacuuming.

With all the water I had to add yesterday (about 5 hours worth of refill, although I have low house water pressure too), and the additional rain last night/today, should I check my CYA, or will it not be accurate since I'm in the mist of a SLAM?

If the CYA is too low, I suspect I will notice it in how quickly the pool is burning through the chlorine too, is this correct?

One thing about it even though the pool is still cloudy I suspect about 80% of the water has been replaced in it since the beginning of SLAM, so hopefully, it will clear up soon, so I can at least see what little bit of stuff may still be lurking on the bottom that might need to be vacuumed or brushed.

KIM, I decided to wait until after closing to put the shut offs, and PVC lines in, I just hope waiting doesn't come back to bite me. Have A Wonderful Day, and thanks for everything.

Hello Pogueld :) How are you doing? I'm glad you stopped by because I've been missing all my Intro buddies, and their wit, and knowledge. :)

I had some issues ^^^^ after having to replace my MPV, and sand that I didn't know how to fix, so I just made a new post in the appropriate spot on the forum, and there is always someone to the rescue around TFP for sure. So Yes, I do absolutely love this site, and all the people here.

My FC is still holding at 17, My CC-is <.5 (it's just barely pink, lol I'm pushing for 0).

I have passed those 2 things on OCLT days ago, and continue to pass them, BUT my water is still cloudy, so I started adding DE to my sand filter Tues. (lol my foot and body does not thank me one bit for the extra checks though).

The 1st DE add was not a good experience at all, as 1/4 cup of diluted DE to start was still too much for my sand filter causing my pressure to get way too high, and stopping the water to my return from coming out. The details of what occurred are about in the middle of the post of mine below, if you want to read it, which maybe beneficial info for someone else someday.

(I might actually do the issues I had with the DE as a stand alone thread, like I did the knee highs in the skimmer basket, but I'm not sure yet. http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...attempting-to-get-a-3-yr-neglect-pool-back-up.

So anyway, yesterday went much better with the DE in the filter, and it seemed to help clear the water more. I can see down about 2 foot now so progress is being made. The only issue I ran into was when I vacuumed with the DE in the sand filter because although it picked up great, it didn't take long for the pressure to rise, and the return water to stop again, not allowing the entire pool to get vacuumed.

So, I'm debating on whether to vacuum with, or without, the DE in there because it stopping before completion is a lot more work, plus a lot
more backwashes, plus a lot more wasted water, plus requires a lot more refills of water, etc. So I'm thinking, I will let the vacuum do its thing a few more times without the DE in the filter, and Then add the DE back in to clean up what might be left?

If I can get my water to clear all will be good.

THEN LOL I'll have a ton more questions, and need help again, on how fast to let the FC level come down, and on how to adjust and maintain all the other chemical levels to ensure the pool is safe to swim in, and remains algae free.

Anyway, thanks again for stopping by, you ALL here at TFP have been so much help, and I could NOT have done any of it without all the knowledge provided here from so many wonderful, and caring people. Have A Wonderful Day and Thank You.

I am good. It's back to school time so a bit busy around here.

Your pool will clear up. And yes, you will have lots more questions. I am always tweaking something here and there and wanting to know more! I can't wait to see pictures of your sparkly pool!

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Lisa, and yes I can completely understand how busy it can be.
Hello Kim, I also understand the hate/love relationship of this time of year because before I was injured I taught at one of our local colleges, and felt the same way at back to school time. About 1/2 the time though, I also taught Summer sessions too so one semester would just blend on in to the next anyway, so it really didn't matter.

I'll post another pic as soon as it clears completely up because I don't have enough space on TFP to post the through the stages process pics. In order to post the clear pool pic, I'll have to delete one that's already posted to have enough space.

Unless, hint, hint, someone can tell me how to make the pictures smaller, or compress them in a file or link, so they will take up less space.

You Ladies have a Wonderful Day. It was nice to hear from you both. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HERE IS THE END RESULT from using the TFP method.

(The pool was in horrible, horrible, shape to start-(see Before Slam pic on page 4, comment #80 of this thread.)

19 Days of SLAMming, and 76 gallons of 10% Liquid Shock later. I'd say the TFP method Really Works, wouldn't you? :)

Attachments

• 20522134225_7b9006f97d_z.jpg
    20522134225_7b9006f97d_z.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 13