New Maytronics Dolphin M600

NYY

May 7, 2010
North Texas
Just picked up the M600 on Saturday after reading some reviews here. Thought I'd share my take for others looking to purchase a new pool cleaner.
-Set up was fairly easy and intuitive to put the caddy together. To connect the app, I needed to move the control unit closer to my router to get it to connect, even though I have a tri-band router, with a signal that reaches well into my back yard.
-My pool was very dirty, after the winter. I had an algae bloom that I shocked into submission the night before, and there was DE in the pool, b/c of a cracked manifold, which I replaced during the filter clean out the week before.
-With the amount of debris on the pool floor, the M600 did not perform as well as the suction cleaner I replaced, Polaris 280 BlackMax w/PB4 Booster Pump. It seemed to move faster than the debris would suck in and moved a lot of it around the bottom of the pool. This may be partly due to the type of grids I had on. Since I knew I had DE in the pool, I wanted to catch as much of the fine dust as I could with the cleaning, and the M600 did an excellent job with that.
-With a full basket, the unit does not have the power to make it up the side of a wall more than 2-3ft. The first time through I had to catch it on the way up before it dropped back again. I included a pic of my first basket capture.
-Needless to say, there was still a lot of debris remaining after a 2 hour cleaning cycle, and to be fair, it probably stopped sucking up debris an hour to 1.5 hours into the cycle.
-Once I emptied the basket and ran it through another cycle it really performed as promised. Going all the way to the water line and giving the walls a good scrub. The basket was about halfway full after the 2nd cleaning, and the M600 did work as expected for the pickup this time. Although it was in the shallow end...approx 4 ft. I would expect it to work as well in the diving end, since it does hit the water line, but this would be after a full basket.
-It doesn't do stairs or the tanning ledge and it comes up to the top of the submerged benches but doesn't go on top of the bench, even though it's about 3 foot below the water line. I did not notice how it handled the swim out, which has somewhat of a concave contour going up to the ledge.
-Overall, I'm really satisfied with the performance. I love the filtration level of fine particles, and I hope this will cut down on the need to brush the walls as much in the summer.

Attachments

• 1st Basket.JPG
    1st Basket.JPG
    442.5 KB · Views: 300
  • Pool Before.JPG
    Pool Before.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 300
  • Water Line Cleaning.JPG
    Water Line Cleaning.JPG
    530 KB · Views: 288
  • After Deep End 3.jpg
    After Deep End 3.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 287
  • After Shallow End 2.jpg
    After Shallow End 2.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 282
I also own the M600. I think if you use Ultra Clean mode, it tends to go a little slower when moving, but I haven't measured to make sure. If you see it having issues running over and not picking up stuff, you may try the Ultra Clean mode to see if it helps. Although it probably wouldn't have helped since it was already full, I sometimes will run mine on the 2.5 hour mode if I want the pool extra clean before people are going to get in.

I have found seats/benches/steps to be hit or miss. Sometimes it will get them, sometimes not. I usually just brush those and the tanning ledge off periodically. I have had one issue with the tanning ledge. Being pebble pool, when the M600 climbs up to the tanning ledge, it goes to tile cleaning mode and tends to scratch the bottom of the robot up sliding along the tanning ledge. Just cosmetic issue.

I had a friends robot (Dolphin Premium) I was trying before the M600. I can say that the M600 is way more powerful and can pick up way more stuff (rocks, etc.). Of course, I haven't filled it up yet, so fall will be the real test for me :)

Thanks for the additional info Rmontgomery. Will try the ultra clean mode too. Having fun trying different things with it right now. I don't expect it to be as dirty as it was after the winter, during the summer. Basket seems to be about double that of the new polaris IQ, and filter much more fine material, which was my goal. I do like the ability of the Polaris to map the pool and hit the ledges, but I just don't think it scrubs and filters as much...my observation from the vids.

Good morning Willie, so I too am considering wither the Active 30i or M600 but there is a spread of $800 between the two, so what is the deciding factor in choosing to spend the extra $800? I have a Polaris but have never been truly happy with its performance. I mean its better than doing it myself everyday but yanking the filter out every day just sucks and once the live oak leaves and acorns start dropping its worse. Not sure it is significant but due to Texas heat and sun which just evaporates water and burns chlorine I run my system at night to save on both. Thanks

Reactions: WillieFlo
There were two reasons I went with the M600, one was wifi control with extra modes, and the second was the more powerful suction motors. I borrowed one similar to the 30i from a friend and was disappointed when I had to get the net out, even after manually steering the bot over the items. The M600 has picked up everything without issue. Rocks, leaves, shingle pieces, it's own hubcap, etc. It also seems to navigate around my odd shaped pool and obstacles a lot better. I have a little bit of OCD so I usually clean it out after a couple of days, but could probably wait a week. It filters so much water through it's filters that I really do think it leaves the pool water clearer after running.

Just my two cents. Wasn't happy about the extra cost, but I am happy with the results.

Ryan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I mean its better than doing it myself everyday but yanking the filter out every day just sucks and once the live oak leaves and acorns start dropping its worse.
Hi Pirate Roberts-The M600 has a top loaded filter. Very easy to clean. Turn over and hose each side. You can also remove the filter grids too. We just had a heavy Texas rain this week, and a lot of debris from my yard and my neighbor's live oaks got in the pool. Ran the M600 today. It picked up everything and filled the large filter basket. Still was able to climb the wall so I could lift it out. You do have to brush the stairs and submerged seating to move the debris into the main area, although it does go up them. Today it went on top of my submerged bench. Hit or miss on that. Overall, still really satisfied. Filters the small particles really well. Hope this helps

Reactions: Pirate Roberts
There were two reasons I went with the M600, one was wifi control with extra modes, and the second was the more powerful suction motors. I borrowed one similar to the 30i from a friend and was disappointed when I had to get the net out, even after manually steering the bot over the items. The M600 has picked up everything without issue. Rocks, leaves, shingle pieces, it's own hubcap, etc. It also seems to navigate around my odd shaped pool and obstacles a lot better. I have a little bit of OCD so I usually clean it out after a couple of days, but could probably wait a week. It filters so much water through it's filters that I really do think it leaves the pool water clearer after running.

Just my two cents. Wasn't happy about the extra cost, but I am happy with the results.

Ryan

Ryan,
Those are the exact same reasons why I’m considering the M600 or M500 over the Active 30i. I like the idea of the deep clean mode, and the additional suction that the M-line provides. Thanks!

Reactions: rmontgomery
OMG....I went to a local Leslie's and a couple local Pinch-a-Penny store locations today, and asked if they had or could order me a Dolphin M500 or an M600, and I get this...."What's it called an M..???" with the deer in the headlights look? of bewilderment. It doesn't seem like the Owners of these so called pool and spa stores even know what they are selling. One of the "P-a-P" stores is even listed as a "Maytronics Elite Dealer"?....They tried to sell me an Active 20 or 30i instead, but I was having none of it, considering the Active 30i was $1399 in their store.........I asked them to call me back when they could figure out a price for the M500 or an M600 to consider..........very disappointed!

Let me ask, if I buy through Marina Pool & Spa, will I still be able to take my unit to the local authorized dealer for service under warranty, or will I have to ship it off to Marina Pool & Spa for them to send it in for warranty work? Very curious about this......probably the only reason I haven't ordered through them already. Many people speak highly of them though.

I assume you could take it to any Maytronics dealer. The warranty is not through the store you bought it from. I bought mine through Margaret at Marina and they were great. Also free shipping and no tax which made it cheaper. One of the pool stores I called did the same to me and said they could get me the the M600, but it would be something like $1899. I said thank you and quickly got off the phone.

Hi Pirate Roberts-The M600 has a top loaded filter. Very easy to clean. Turn over and hose each side. You can also remove the filter grids too. We just had a heavy Texas rain this week, and a lot of debris from my yard and my neighbor's live oaks got in the pool. Ran the M600 today. It picked up everything and filled the large filter basket. Still was able to climb the wall so I could lift it out. You do have to brush the stairs and submerged seating to move the debris into the main area, although it does go up them. Today it went on top of my submerged bench. Hit or miss on that. Overall, still really satisfied. Filters the small particles really well. Hope this helps

Thanks for the information. I placed an order for the M600 on Friday. I'm holding off opening my pool until it arrives since once I pull the pool cover I won't be able to resist trying to brush and skim and backwash over and over again like I do every year. I'm trying to get smarter about this, let's see if "this is the year".

Reactions: rmontgomery
Why would a tab break except for poor quality. For $1700 I'd expect flawless quality and service. Be on the lookout, I'll be dumping mine shortly for another brand. I don't care if the new one is a rebrand Maytronics, I know that Pentair stands behind their warranty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.