New "maintenance free" Kayak pool with Pool Frog

Aug 4, 2010
Is anyone familiar with this system? It's the Pool Frog Mineral Reservoir with a Pool Frog chlorine Bac Pac. I've had the pool for a week and every time I test it, the PH, total alkalinity, and Cyanuric acid levels are all just about non-existent. Due to that,I turned the dial up and now my chlorine is very high (at least 10 ppm). I called Kayak and they seem to think it will take care of itself, but I'm not so sure. Any suggestions? It's my understanding that I'm not really supposed to have to add anything to this pool and that the Frog system is supposed to generate all the proper chemicals. Am I misinformed?

Am I misinformed?
Somewhat, yes. The frog is infamous on this forum for not doing a good job. I have never used one so cannot comment on the drawbacks but lot's of folks here have had them and will never use them again after they discover the simpler, often cheaper way of managing your pool we teach.

PS - your username is very, very intriguing....never seen one quite like it...at first, I thought it was ".....bender" which was pretty cool, too. :lol: :lol:

I looked at the msds for the chlorine bac pac and it basicly is an expensive lump of trichlor. Please post a complete set of test results so we may advise you better. Were you misinformed? To put it kindly yes. The chlorine bac pac dispenses chlorine and CYA only. While both are essential to your pool, you only need a limited amount of CYA. Once you reach that level you will either need to switch to liquid chlorine, calcium hypochlorate, or partially drain and refill your pool to keep the CYA level in check.

Trichlor can be used as a source of CYA and chlorine, but it will deliver both slowly. When you start up a pool you need to put in enough CYA to reach 30-50 ppm to prevent the chlorine from burning off too quickly.

Please post your most recent test results and we can tell you what to do to balance your water.

Pool maintenance can be simple or it can be difficult, but there is no 1 product that does it all. The BBB method we use here is simple, and can be adapted to fit your pool's needs. Please read throughpool school and feel free to ask any questions.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

As a former frog owner, I can tell you the advice is misleading at best - following their recommendations will lead you down the path of trouble. I learned this the hard way - its what led me to find TFP to begin with.

Read Pool School, and understand there is no such thing as maintenance free for ANY pool or system. Pure hype. Not only will their recommendations leave you with an unsanitary pool, but you'll spend a fortune in the process using Pool Frog and poolstore products.

Here is an article that discusses Pool Frog and other "alternatives":
http://www.troublefreepool.com/alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html

Hope this helps - if you have any questions or concerns at all post back. :)

As a five year Kayak pool owner with the Frog system I hope I can offer you some advice.

First, take the frog cartridges out and put them in the box they came in and put them in a dark place in your garage and forget about them.

Second, stop talking to the Kayak folks unless you are looking for specific replacement parts. More then likely you can find the same cheaper online at other places. Some things though it is just easier to look up on their site and buy.

Third, buy a good test kit. I learned this the hard way too :)

You are not seeing any results for CYA etc because there probably isn't any. I always thought my pool was fine, until I ran across this site. I never even had a problem with my pool, but I ordered a test kit and took a look at the results and they were eye opening to say the least. It explained a lot of why eyes were red and stinging, and skin was itchy. (Guess I had problems afterall).

Now after a month or so of being vigilant, the pool has never felt better. I haven't been back to the pool store once, and I use maybe 2 gallons of bleach a week, depending on usage.

If you have any questions specific to the Kayak I can help, as for the rest of the stuff there are so many more people here that know more and are better qualified then me, so don't be afraid to ask.

:cheers:

I sure wish I had seen this before I bought a whole case of the frog cartridges! Actually, the chlorine is the one thing that's always right in my pool, so in that regard I guess it's doing it's job. I've decided to take a pool sample over to the pool and spa store to see what readings they get, then after not buying the chemicals that they recommend, I will come home and use the calculator on this site to bring up my other stuff. Or since there's only a month at best left in my pool season, I may just use the PH Plus that they're sure to recommend and whatever else and start on the BBB next year. As a complete pool novice it's hard to decide who to listen to sometimes.I know that Baquacil use will void the warranty on the cartridge filter, but what about bleach? I'll have to look into it some more.

Keep in mind that the goal of the pool store is to sell you stuff. Its not bad, its a store and that's how stores stay in business. Most pool store employees do not know they are giving out bad advice or selling you stuff you don't really need.

Most of us are pool owners who have been exactly where you are now, frustrated, and unsatisfied with their pools. Our goal is to help you take charge of your pool (and your wallet) and reap all the benefits pool ownership can bring.

ticketblender said:
As a complete pool novice it's hard to decide who to listen to sometimes.

The first time I stumbled on this site I was wondering the same thing. I found my way here trying to use google to figure out what the heck "Pool Perfect" actually contained.

Spend a little time in the Chem 201 or Deep End section and you'll find that the science presented here is documented and available in a way that no pool store or product manufacturer will ever give you. The most anyone here will ever try to sell you is a test kit - and even then they'll tell you where to buy it elsewhere if you want. The science is solid and the advice found here is from people who genuinely just want to pay it forward.

ticketblender said:
I sure wish I had seen this before I bought a whole case of the frog cartridges! Actually, the chlorine is the one thing that's always right in my pool, so in that regard I guess it's doing it's job. I've decided to take a pool sample over to the pool and spa store to see what readings they get, then after not buying the chemicals that they recommend, I will come home and use the calculator on this site to bring up my other stuff. Or since there's only a month at best left in my pool season, I may just use the PH Plus that they're sure to recommend and whatever else and start on the BBB next year. As a complete pool novice it's hard to decide who to listen to sometimes.I know that Baquacil use will void the warranty on the cartridge filter, but what about bleach? I'll have to look into it some more.

A whole case? Sell them on Craigslist or ebay.

Your chlorine is "always right" - if you mean their recommendation of .5-1 that isn't right at all. :) I hope that's not what you mean.

When I kept my levels as they recommended I ended up with low PH (which contributed to the demise of my heater IMHO) and I ended up with organic staining at the bottom of my pool for three years. Further, I have permanent copper staining on my pool from using the mineral cartridges.

In the bacpacs is trichlor. Trichlor is acidic and will lower your PH and TA. You can use Baking Soda to raise TA and Borax to raise PH - you can do that now to save money this season. When using trichlor - you want your TA to be about 120 to help stabilize your PH which will drop rapidly using the trichlor.

The mineral cartridges turn blond hair green. Just be advised of that.

There are two elements with the Frog system and both are uber-expensive. The mineral cartridge which I have seen locally for $99 (every 6-months), and then in the middle of that you insert the bacpac, which I have seen run locally now at $17.99 (lasts 1-2 weeks when they don't malfunction).

You can treat your pool with regular products for a fraction of the cost.

When I had the frog, I used to spend hundreds of dollars each summer on pool store products, trying to maintain my water balance. They recommend shocking every 2 weeks, weekly in the heat of the summer. The granular shock products are expensive too, but that's what they suggested I use.

I now spend less than $75 the entire season (April-October).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi i am a newbie, can anyone give a ball park price on a 16X33 kayak pool with the deck? they were supposed to come to my house today and just canceled until tomorrow.
Any recommendations also would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.